Zombie Blow this team up

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Sinobas, Jan 21, 2012.

1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Prior to 1999, however, every title for 19 years (except for the 83 Sixers) was won by a team with a player drafted by that team in the top 3. Jordan, Olajuwon, Magic, Isiah, McHale.
    Assuming they're all between 5-10, and the first 4 off the board are Fultz, Ball, Smith, and Jackson, what 3 players would you pick up in that scenario?

My thought would be Monk, then Isaac, then Markkanen (of course taking Jackson instead of Monk if somehow that were an option).

2. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Some of that might be the nature of the game then vs. now. While basketball will always be the major pro sport most dominated by singular stars, the game has become less controlled by the best player on a given team (hero ball) and offenses are now generally more distributed affairs as spread passing offenses have taken off.

Not that I'd turn down a Jordan today, but it may be less of a hard requirement to win a title.

3. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Jayson Tatum is gonna be an all around stud.

First off, if we trade CJ, we'd need to trade Plumlee for a 1st

Let's say we get 5th (PHI), 7th (LAL), 9th (POR), 24th (Plumlee), and 29th (CLE). I think you package 7th, 24th, and 29th (plus filler if needed) to move up to 3 or 4 to take Jackson. Then Tatum at 5, and Anunoby or Giles at 9. If you can't trade up, then you take whichever one of Isaac/Monk is left.

The best case scenario would be to get into the top 2 or 3 by getting lucky in the lottery. Imagine having the 2nd (POR), 5th (PHI), and 7th (PHI) picks. You could trade from 7th up to 4th and have 3 top 5 picks. Imagine Fultz+Jackson+Tatum.

Even without luck, Jackson + Tatum + Giles would be dynamite. That's potentially 3 stars (if Giles can stay healthy). Their rookie-level floor would be at the same level our role players have played at a summer. Even if we had to settle for Monk or Isaac instead of Jackson, it'd still be a great decision.

That's why, if Philly calls, I think you have to trade CJ for those 2 picks. Maybe toss in Crabbe too, and see if they'll give up Noel too.

You could even try trading some salary away to get some $30M in cap room. Sign a couple good starters who can mentor the rookies and you have a good team now, and in the future. There would be no floor.

If you wanted to go all in with the rebuild you could trade Dame for another top 5 pick, a 2018 pick (maybe top 5 as well), and young filler (I personally wouldn't do that though)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  4. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    Plumlee isn't bringing back a first-round pick as a so-so player who's about to hit free agency. Especially not in a loaded draft.

5. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

You're telling me that Toronto, who has no backup center and two late firsts this year, wouldn't trade one of those for Plumlee, who'd be a premier backup C and his salary wouldn't be hard to match?

6. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    Yes, I absolutely don't think they'd give up a first-round pick for a half-season of a backup center. Matching rights is only a valuable commodity on good players, players you fear to lose. Plumlee isn't that type of player. Backup centers aren't extremely hard to come by on the free agent market and Plumlee will likely not be the cheapest of options. They may not even want to match the offers he gets.