Blues Slated Over Scolari Timing

Discussion in 'Chelsea FC' started by Colonel Ronan, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Colonel Ronan

Colonel Ronan Continue...?

Control Center analyst
    [​IMG]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The Portuguese Football Federation has hit out at Chelsea for announcing the capture of Luiz Felipe Scolari during their Euro 2008 campaign.

Scolari's five-year reign as Portugal boss ended in a quarter-final defeat by Germany on Thursday.

FPF chief Gilberto Madail is unhappy Chelsea revealed his appointment just four days into the tournament.

"I wish Chelsea would have consulted us before so that we could have chosen a better time," said the FPF president.

Portugal had high hopes of going all the way at Euro 2008, having reached the final in 2004 and the World Cup semi-finals in 2006.

But after an impressive start to their campaign they were far from their best as they were eliminated by the Germans in Basel.

Madail addressed the media on Friday and admitted he thought the Scolari announcement had had a destabilising effect on the squad.

"It wasn't the best moment for us for Chelsea to announce Scolari's appointment," said Madail.

"I know Scolari had nothing to do with it and I was surprised, not by the appointment - because Scolari is a great coach - but at the timing chosen.

"I knew when we entered the tournament that Scolari would leave. We respected his wishes. His cycle with Portugal had ended because he wanted a new experience with a club.

"There was nothing we could do. It was a financial issue and we couldn't match Chelsea's offer."

Portugal have the difficult task of finding a replacement for Scolari as they turn their attentions to qualifying for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

Madail added: "Whether some like it or not, Scolari left a mark in Portuguese football. He is a spectacular coach who made a huge impact and that will remain in the history of Portugal. But life continues.

"The new coach will have to speak Portuguese but not necessarily be Portuguese.

"He has to have ambition and be a winner. He has to be someone who the players respect."

Portugal have also had to deal with the distraction of Cristiano Ronaldo's club situation, with the winger at the centre of persistent rumours throughout the tournament that he will be leaving Manchester United for Real Madrid.

"I don't know what is going on in Ronaldo's mind and I don't think that contract problems would affect a player," said Madail.</div>

[Source]

I know it sounds like an excuse by Portugal, but I think they are 100% right. Abramovich has no moral compass.

2. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

They have no excuses though, and it wasn't Scolaris fault that they lost. Blame the players for not getting the W.

Scolari will be great for Chelsea.

3. Colonel Ronan

Colonel Ronan Continue...?

Control Center analyst
    Simao and that tattooed guy are quite dreadful.

4. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

They went into the game thinking they could easily beat Germany and that they would get the Germany that they saw play Croatia. lol

They guessed wrong.

5. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    I blame Scolari and Chelsea first due to poor timing. As I mentioned before, the players and fans seen Scolari as sort of a father figure. Knowing they are to lose him during a critical part of International duty is a heavy blow.