Bobby Sura

Discussion in 'Atlanta Hawks' started by Mez, Mar 31, 2004.

1. starman85

starman85 JBB JustBBall Member

I think they should give it to Sura. Everyone's already mentioned the Davis incident, but we've established that this was different. Still, I read somewhere that in the old days, Moses Malone would often bounce the ball off the backboard consecutive times to rack up offensive rebounds before slamming it home, which aided him in getting like five straight rebounding titles. If they allowed it back then, they should allow it now. If a player is good enough to get their own rebound off a shot, let him do it.

The Ricky Davis thing was different. This was legit.

2. WhiteManCanJump

WhiteManCanJump Member

I dont think you should fine OR suspend anyone for missing a meaningless shot. He look like an idiot just for trying to get it and failing, thats punishment enough. We are still talking about how stupid Ricky Davis is.

3. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting New York Baller:</div><div class="quote_post">no the nba desided not to considered that a triple double it was just announced on espn sportscenter the nba reviewed it and said no triple double</div>

Well you'll notice I made that comment before the league reviewed it and took the rebound off him.

Anyway, a 22/9/11 game is still pretty damn good on the back of two 'legitimate' triple doubles. Mad props to Bobby Sura.

4. InNETSweTrust

InNETSweTrust JBB Philippines' Finest

It's the fault of the "gray area" of these kind of rules. They should be consistent. Imagine this, your team is down by three points and you're fouled with 3 seconds remaining. Of course you shoot the first one and INTENTIONALLY miss the second one with hope of a putback by your teammate. It's still counted as a rebound right? Eventhough the shooter intentionally missed the FT.

5. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Another thing, was T-Mac credited with an offensive rebound on the occasions he'd thrown it off the backboard to himself to dunk it?

6. InNETSweTrust

Exactly, I know for a fact that your teammate gets the offensive rebound if you intentionally miss the shot. They were pointing out that Sura had no plans of shooting for the basket so it wasn't considered an attempt. I don't know about the backboard thing though.

7. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Supersonic:</div><div class="quote_post">Another thing, was T-Mac credited with an offensive rebound on the occasions he'd thrown it off the backboard to himself to dunk it?</div>No it was a pass to himself. The question is was he credited with the assist. [​IMG]

8. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">No it was a pass to himself. The question is was he credited with the assist. [​IMG]</div>

Haha, you raise a good point there. But if it came off the backboard, does that make it an offensive rebound too?

9. mydi619

mydi619 JBB JustBBall Member

They shouldve just credited it, supposedly the fans... the oh so many fans... wanted him to do that, jsut so they could end the season with a bang.

10. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Supersonic:</div><div class="quote_post">Haha, you raise a good point there. But if it came off the backboard, does that make it an offensive rebound too?</div>I don't think so because the NBA rule book states that "A field goal attempt is a player's attempt to shoot the ball into the basket for a field goal."

The league ruled that Sura did not attempt a field goal, and therefore there was no rebound.

11. InNETSweTrust

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">The league ruled that Sura did not attempt a field goal, and therefore there was no rebound.</div>

Which brings back my point of clarification. The one wherein you intentionally miss a FT so you can hope for an offensive rebound.

12. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting InNETSweTrust:</div><div class="quote_post">Which brings back my point of clarification. The one wherein you intentionally miss a FT so you can hope for an offensive rebound.</div>I think the League made an exception in this case because Sura was doing it for the intention of boosting his stats where as the missed FT is an attempt to win a game.

13. InNETSweTrust

But still they have to be clear and specific in their rules. So that there'll be no gray areas that players can take advantage of.

Like last season in the PBA. Talk and Text needs to win by 8 points in order to advance (due to quotient) to the semis. Time was down to like 10 seconds and they're only up by 3 points so they won't advance even if they win. The coach instructed the players to shoot at the other team's three point area to tie the game and try to win by 8 in overtime. They missed but my point was there'll be players or teams who can take advantage of rules if it's not specific.

14. Rudeezy

There will always be loop holes no matter what changes are made. Its just the way it is. I think the League made the right decision in this case and hopefully it will prevent any future incident such as this.

15. InNETSweTrust

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">There will always be loop holes no matter what changes are made. Its just the way it is. I think the League made the right decision in this case and hopefully it will prevent any future incident such as this.</div>

They made the right decision, but the league, players and fans shouldn't condemn Sura for it. I know there's not much condemnations but it's because it happened to the Hawks. But Ricky's is a different story. It's worth every condemnation. [​IMG]

16. Rudeezy

I won't think any less of Sura, but I do think it was a stupid move by doing that. It was selfish. This kind of thing should come naturally.

17. InNETSweTrust

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">I won't think any less of Sura, but I do think it was a stupid move by doing that. It was selfish. This kind of thing should come naturally.</div>

Well all the team was shouting at him to do it and there was almost no time. I don't think anyone would have a chance to think that it's improper to do that. When you're all alone and the whole team is telling you to do it, you'll just do it. It's human nature. So it came naturally IMO. It's almost unplanned. Opportunity presented itself and he just took advantage.

18. Rudeezy

No, I don't give in to pure pressure.[​IMG]

19. jbbShortyC20

jbbShortyC20 JBB JustBBall Member

O crap guys I thought Sura was credited the triple double. I checked the total triple doubles for players and he only has 2.

20. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting ShortyC20:</div><div class="quote_post">O crap guys I thought Sura was credited the triple double. I checked the total triple doubles for players and he only has 2.</div>

You're a bit slow there, sunshine [​IMG]