Bogans shows maturity

Discussion in 'Orlando Magic' started by Truemaster14, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Truemaster14

Truemaster14 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Keith Bogans isn't here to prove anyone wrong.

He's just here to prove himself right.

Bogans, a 6-foot-5, 215-pound guard from Kentucky, already has the look of a keeper -- a very pleasant surprise -- for the Orlando Magic after two days of summer-league play.

The Magic obtained him on draft night for cash from the Milwaukee Bucks, who selected him in the second round (43rd) in last month's NBA Draft.

"I know I've got what it takes to play in this league," Bogans said confidently. "I already know I have the talent. That's not even a question in my mind."

Bogans has an obvious maturity to his game that so many of the younger rookies lack. He is 23, having played all four years at Kentucky, where he honed his game and became No. 4 on the school's all-time scoring list.

The only ones ahead of him are Dan Issel, Kenny Walker and Jack Givens, all considered greats in Kentucky lore.

"I think Keith, he has a great shot at making our team and contributing," said Magic assistant coach Mark Hughes, who is running the summer-league team. "What he is, is tough, and we're a team now looking for toughness."

Although Bogans is viewed more as a defensive-minded player to guard big scorers, he has shown some unexpected offense with the Magic's collection of rookies and free agents.

LeBron James, the Cleveland Cavaliers phenom, was the main attraction on opening night Tuesday, but it was Bogans who led everyone in scoring with 24 points. On Wednesday against the Detroit Pistons, Bogans had 13 points.

There is a definite resemblance to 14 years ago and Nick Anderson, the Magic's first draft pick (1989). Anderson started his career as a thick-chested slasher without much of a jump shot, which is similar to Bogans now.

"Once the games start, it doesn't matter if you were a first-round pick, a second-round pick, or a free agent," Bogans said. "Coaches just want to know if you can play, if you can help the team. And I can."

With the Magic doing an overhaul on the bottom half of their roster, Bogans could become a valuable backup to Tracy McGrady at shooting guard, giving him the rest he sorely needed but hardly received last season.

He almost left Kentucky two years earlier when he averaged 17 points as a sophomore, but after making himself eligible for the draft, he reconsidered after a less-than-stellar performance at the NBA's pre-draft camp.

He slipped to just 11.6 points as a junior, when he struggled with his shot. As a senior, he scored at least 20 points in 10 games, averaging 15.7 points.

On draft night, Magic General Manager John Gabriel said he wanted someone who could contribute immediately, unlike many players who take years to mature into a role. Bogans already looks to fit into that category.

"By staying in school, I'm way more mature -- on and off the court -- and that's what sets me apart from a lot of guys," he said. "This isn't just a physical game. It's a thinking game. You have to know how to play."

</div>

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/bask...?coll=orl-magic