Bonzi Wells Now A Grizzlie

Discussion in 'Memphis Grizzlies' started by jbbKing James, Dec 3, 2003.

1. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Here are the details on the pick that was in the trade

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">If the Grizzlies’ first round pick in the 2004 Draft is one of the top three picks, the Grizzlies have the option to keep the pick.
    </div>

http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/news/wells_0311203.html

2. InNETSweTrust

InNETSweTrust JBB Philippines' Finest

Hhhhmmm....This thread really makes one think. It works better for Memphis though. They're basically good guys and I don't think they'll have a problem with one headache.

3. ~Fatality~

~Fatality~ JBB JustBBall Member

Seems like an even trade to me.

The pick is what makes it all fair.

Plus Blazers needed to mix things up.

4. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

LMAO @ Trail_Blazer76

"BONZI WILL ALWAYS BE A BLAZER"

I sure won't question that!

Thanks allnet for finding the first story on this, I figured that the pick had to have some protection to it, though I doubt Memphis would land a top 3 selection anyway this year.

5. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting King James:</div><div class="quote_post">LMAO @ Trail_Blazer76

"BONZI WILL ALWAYS BE A BLAZER"

I sure won't question that!
    </div>

LOL.

I wonder how many members actually got that joke....

6. How_High78

How_High78 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trail_Blazer76:</div><div class="quote_post">LOL.

I wonder how many members actually got that joke....</div>
    Oh i think that anyone over the age of twelve got that joke. ...there are posters here over the age of twelve right?

Also a first round pick is a first round pick. Portland might get something great with it. Any word on how Sheed is taking this? Is he packing hie bags too?

7. Hunter

Hunter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trail_Blazer76:</div><div class="quote_post">

He ALWAYS, knows something nobody else does. However in this case it was common sense. Well is a lot better than Person, and there aren't even any hyped draft prospects. What was Portland thinking?</div>

I think Portland is betting that the Grizzlies do not make the playoofs this year. Either way, I still think they came off as losers in this deal.

Jerry West sees some serious potential in this kid and Hubie Brown is the perfect coach for a player like Bonzi Wells. I think with the proper "grooming" that Jerry and Hubie will do, Bonzi Wells will be a force to reckon with in this league for many years to come.

As for the Blazers, I have no clue what they were thinking on this one. Sure they lost a headcase but they really didn't get anything major in return for him. Wesley Person just doesn't have the skills needed to make up for the loss of Bonzi.

8. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

If I'm a Grizz fan, I'm loving this trade. Now there chances of getting being a playoff team are strengthened.

9. dee still ballin

dee still ballin JBB JustBBall Member

Like the good man said on ESPN.. I wouldnt trade with Jerry West, because he always knows something that we dont.

10. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

It was about time they let one of these guys go. They had to start getting rid of players, whether they get fair value back or not; just too many problems have come with Bonzi. It's not like the Blazers don't have the depth to accomodate for his loss, either.

West keeps saying he is gathering all this talent to prepare for a big trade. I'm pretty sure he still has something up his sleeve.

11. Erin

Erin JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kid Canada:</div><div class="quote_post">They got rid of a headcase. Now Woods can play more. They have Anderson who is pretty good too. The first round pick will really help but we dont know the details on it.</div>

your signature font is too big. i'm not sure if anyone told you but i figured i would... since i got yelled because mine was that size too. it's only fair.

12. the MDE

the MDE JBB JustBBall Member

Holy moster trade Batman! Bonzi finally gets shipped..

13. JWilltheFreak

JWilltheFreak JBB JustBBall Member

Grizz TRADE (Wells for Person)

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Bonzi on the Move

Bonzi Wells is less than two years removed from his breakout season of 2001-02, when he averaged 17 points per game. He's also two weeks removed from having the Blazers relieve him of his co-captaincy.
    And now, on Dec. 3, he's on his way to Memphis in a trade that brings Wesley Person and a first-round pick to Portland.

?We?re very excited about the opportunity to acquire a player of the caliber of Bonzi Wells,? Grizzlies president Jerry West said. ?We are very hopeful that this opportunity provides a fresh start for Bonzi in Memphis and that he enjoys joining a rising young team in the Grizzlies.?

"In the era of the luxury tax, it is not always easy to make trades or move players with long-term contracts," Blazers general manager John Nash said.

"We are happy to be getting a quality player and individual in Wesley Person, a veteran who can help provide leadership on the court and in the locker room, as well as a draft pick which will help the organization." </div>

http://www.nba.com/news/trade_031203.html

I think this a good trade we get another scorer.

The lineup will problly be.

JWill
    Miller
    Posey
    Gasol
    Swift/Wright

14. nikebasketball

nikebasketball JBB JustBBall Member

This sucks that Bonzi is gone, he was one of my favorites on the Blazers.

Memphis got the better end of the deal IMO.

15. jwill2

jwill2 JBB JustBBall Member

Good trade for Grizz if Bonzi gets his act together and actually plays basketball instead of the rest of his circus act. Its seem a little scary to give away a first round pick for such a volatile player. Normally I would say Hubie would be able to command respect from Bonzi but Mo Cheeks failed and he seems like someone that you would respect so maybe he is just a head case.

16. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

JWilltheFreak , you have sent me IM's asking what you should do to be better, you know tp provide a link to the article, we can get in trouble for that.

And you did not even cover the whole deal.

17. JWilltheFreak

JWilltheFreak JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">JWilltheFreak , you have sent me IM's asking what you should do to be better, you know tp provide a link to the article, we can get in trouble for that.

And you did not even cover the whole deal.</div> SORRY

18. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

He Sheed and Mouse were my favorite trio. Purehoops, one of the site's best designers, made me the sig seen below in honor of Wells.

Thanks for the memories Bonzi.

19. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Won't have to wait long for Blazer fans to see him.The two teams meet on sunday.

20. twolvefan11

twolvefan11 JBB Banned Member

Wow, this makes Memphis a little stronger. Only for Wesley Person and a 1st round pick? I think they could have gotten something more back. I know his stock fell, but I would think there was a better offer out there somewhere.