Boozer to L.A. a done deal?

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by calijazz, Feb 20, 2005.

1. calijazz

calijazz JBB JustBBall Member

Apparently the Jazz have agreed to trade Boozer for Butler, George, and Divac. FSN's Jack Haley is reporting it.

I don't buy it at all though...I'll wait for the word from ESPN.

2. bbwtrench

bbwtrench BBW Member

There is a ton of threads on this. Why posting another one?

3. Stockton

Stockton JBB

Lets try to keep all the Boozer / Lakers stuff in the Jazz forum in this thread.

O'Connor denies Jazz are talking trade with Lakers

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Jazz on Sunday denied there is substance to a suggestion they may be involved in trade talks with the Los Angeles Lakers regarding power forward Carlos Boozer.
    According to a Saturday-night Internet posting on InsideHoops.com, "there are rumors coming from Fox Sports radio in Los Angeles that the Lakers may be moving Lamar Odom soon, possibly to Utah for Carlos Boozer. Other players would be involved."
    "Absolutely ludicrous," said Jazz basketball operations senior vice president Kevin O'Connor, who was in Denver for Sunday night's NBA All-Star Game.</div>

<div align="center">Link</div>

4. calijazz

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Stockton:</div><div class="quote_post"><div align="center">Link</div></div>

Ah, you beat me to it...

5. spark22

spark22 JBB JustBBall MVP

Yeah, it is basically a stupid idea. Who would go for it, other than the Lakers of course. Butler and George plays the positions we are stacked at and Vlade is past his prime and would just be a filler. Just a rumor to get Laker Fans excited I guess.

6. FFSBasketball

FFSBasketball JBB JustBBall Member

What's up with this?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3410834

Seems to me this is a bad deal for you guys, which spark has already talked about. But for some reason it seems like it's also a done deal...

7. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

Man, If this deal goes through the Lakers could be a force to be reckoned with and the Jazz would be a lottery team unless AK47 really picks up his game to another level. Carlos Boozer seemed like a good fit for the Jazz, but what can ya do. Caron is the only good part for the Jazz I see in this deal.

8. Lakers1

Lakers1 JBB JustBBall Member

If espn reports this , i will believe it

9. spark22

spark22 JBB JustBBall MVP

I do not see how people believe this rumor. The link above from Fox Sports had no quotes in it about the situation, when everyone from the Jazz FO has been asked about it, no one knows about it, and everyone from the Jazz has nothing but praise for Boozer. I am still puzzled on why the Jazz would trade a future All-Star for Butler and some fillers. I think Butler would be great for the Jazz but I would not give up Boozer for him, especially when we have Raja, Giri, Synder, Harpring, and Kirilenko who can play his spot.

10. calijazz

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Lakers1:</div><div class="quote_post">If espn reports this , i will believe it</div>

Same goes for me...as of now, I'm not buying this rumor.

11. calijazz

It's basically 5 on 1 now:

Those who've denied it:
    Jazz reps
    Jazz owner (Larry Miller)
    Jazz assistant coach Gordan Cheisa
    ESPN's Marc Stein
    Jazz GM Kevin O'Connor

Those who said it's going through:
    Jack Haley of FSN

I'm definitely thinking this trade is NOT going to happen. The evidence is piling up a mile high.

12. Stockton

Stockton JBB

<div align="center">Jazz Still Deny Boozer Trade Rumors </div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Jazz on Monday continued to deny rumors of a possible trade with the Los Angeles Lakers involving power forward Carlos Boozer.
    Rumors involving Boozer and Lakers forwards Lamar Odom and Caron Butler, emanating from the just-concluded NBA All-Star Weekend in Denver, were rampant in various reports Monday.
    The Chicago Tribune: "The talk includes a package of (Lakers) Caron Butler, Luke Walton and Slava Medvedenko for Boozer."
    ESPNInsider.com's Chad Ford: "Sunday, Odom's name surfaced in another rumor, one that had him, (Caron) Butler and Jumaine Jones going to the Jazz for Carlos Boozer and Matt Harpring."
    Ford, however, also reported Monday that the Jazz-Lakers rumors were without merit.</div>

<div align="center">Link</div>

13. calijazz

This pretty much puts a nail in the coffin for me...(Read the whole article for it to make sense.)

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">IT'S PRETTY well accepted around here that Haley knows nothing, so I wasn't surprised when he told the "Southern California Sports Report" audience Friday night he had learned something.

He reported from the NBA All-Star game festivities in Denver that a source told him, and keep in mind he still talks to Rodman, the Lakers were interested in making a three-for-one trade.

He didn't name the players or the other team involved, he said, making it the Big TV Tease, because his source asked him to keep it quiet. So for all we know the other team involved could have been Rodman's Long Beach Jam, and the Lakers were going to send three stiffs to Long Beach ? they got plenty to pick from these days, and for some time now I've maintained that's where Devean George belongs.

On Saturday's TV report from Denver, Haley said the Lakers were also talking to Sacramento about trading Lamar Odom for Peja Stojakovic and an injured Bobby Jackson. He said he didn't think the Lakers had an interest in trading Odom, but "the trade was discussed," he said, "and it's out there."

As for the three-for-one trade, he said, "his hands were tied," and he could say no more. I'm wondering ? is February one of those sweeps months on TV?

At the end of the All-Star game, Haley reported it was a done deal ? the Lakers were going to trade Butler, Vlade Divac and George to Utah for Carlos Boozer. There's probably an Emmy in this for Haley, or once again a seat on the bench.

"In my opinion," Haley said Monday by telephone in a follow-up to his Sunday night TV report, "it was a done deal. I said at the time the deal would happen in the next 24 or 48 hours, or by the [Thursday] trade deadline. I thought it would happen quickly. It could blow up, but I know what's gone on.</div>

Whole Article

14. Stockton

Stockton JBB

Kevin O'Conor personally phoned Carlos Boozer earlier to say he was not going to be traded. The Booze will still be in Utah's system [​IMG] .

15. calijazz

Now even Haley is waiving the white flag:

If you didn't watch the "Southern California Sports report" last night, this is what went down:

Haley said that on Sunday when he made the report, he felt that the sources that gave him this info were "very reliable". He said he even talked to a couple of GM's and told him he was right on. He said that "things changed" over the last couple of days and the deal is basically off for now. He didn't come right out in say it, but than the host Patrick O'Neil asked him straight up, "Is the Boozer deal off?" Haley replied, "As of right now, yes it is."

16. Stockton

Stockton JBB

It's official now. It's not happening.