OT Boycotting the NFL

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by dviss1, Aug 25, 2018.

1. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...bingo.

...if a cop tells you to stop or tells you to get on your knees, you damn well better do it, at least until everything is sorted out. Getting mouthy or getting in a cop's face is asking for trouble.

...Not denying there a very few bad cops, racist cops but they are in the vast minority. But collectively these guys have a thankless job and sadly are woefully underpaid to do it.

...many people who complain about police in general fail to consider what some neighborhoods, especially poorer neighborhoods would be like without any cops at all...those areas would be slaughter houses.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  2. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

Don’t “create a scene”. Hahahahaha. You wanna see “a scene”? Go find about 1000 videos of cops beating people up for no good reason or maybe just flat out killing someone because they were holding a cell phone. Don’t create a scene?!?!? Don’t upset people who “might” be able to help? FUCK THAT.

BonesJones and dviss1 like this.
  3. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    1. Don't rob convenience stores and you won't get shot at. I don't even own a handgun and I haven't been shot at since the war 50 years ago;
    2. When a police officer wants to search your car illegally, you stand back and let him do it. You then talk to your lawyer the next day. When I was 17, I had a police officer insult me and when I raised my voice, not my language, I had to apologize or go to jail. Shit happens;
    3. None of these actions will require you to kneel.

yankeesince59 likes this.
  4. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    I didn't know I had to speak to a 'famous' kneeler in order to have an opinion on the subject. Who made up that rule?

yankeesince59 likes this.
  5. yankeesince59

...how many videos are there about good cops doing good things?...no?..and why?...that's because media tends to focus on the negative rather than the positive.

6. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

because them just 'doing their job' shouldn't be in the media. and in fact, we do see videos of cops doing good things. saving a cat in a tree, helping a motorist, etc. we know they do good things. but that's their job. to protect and to serve. if you don't want to protect and serve the public, don't be a cop. if you want accolades for doing your job, you're in the wrong profession. your job is not to kill people and throw people around because they aren't nice to you or have a cell phone. the job isn't to profile people. and the job isn't to go to your last resort, first.

7. yankeesince59

...the point is that the bad things are a VERY small percentage when compared to the good things. There are nearly 1,000,000 sworn officers in the US, so it stands to reason there will be a few bad apples and bad incidents.

..."give us dirty laundry...."

8. The Professional Fan

The Professional Fan Big League Scrub

You should try applying this logic to the act of kneeling

Shaboid, BonesJones, Lanny and 2 others like this.
  9. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

As the saying goes, a few bad applies spoils the whole bunch. When a few accountants were guilty of the Enron scandal, the entire accounting profession got indicted in the court of public opinion and subjected to Sarbanes-Oxley regulations. Unfortunately, it is standard practice to focus on and govern to the exception rather than the rule.

10. yankeesince59

...actually, I believe the saying is ; "one bad apple spoils the bunch"

...a bad apple only spoils the rest if you let it...the saying comes from the fact that some over right fruits emit a gas that can spoil the others faster than usual...so the idea is to remove the one "bad apple" so it won't spoil the others.

...as far as accountants, they seem to have recovered quite nicely...I know, because my wife is one.

Lanny likes this.
  11. PtldPlatypus

As am I. The point is that the "one bad apple" argument didn't excuse all the rest from being subject to the impact of the ensuing legislation, whose sole purpose is to prevent the same thing from happening again. A few bad actors ended up impacting everyone. And ask any accountant who has been subject to SOX regulations if they'd like to avoid them...

Similarly, the probability that 99.99% of officers aren't shooting unarmed citizens doesn't change the fact that there are a few bad apples, and unfortunately all too often those bad apples aren't being removed when they should be. The sad fact is that without sufficient safeguards, the few bad are more important than the overwhelming majority of good.

BonesJones likes this.
  12. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

Crap!!! Now I have that shitty Osmond Brothers song in my head. You guys suck.......

:angry:

DaLincolnJones likes this.
  13. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Really? Don't create false arguments. No one is arguing not to have police. We just want good, educated, highly trained police officers who don't think they're above the law.

Lanny and calvin natt like this.
  14. yankeesince59

...exactly how do you propose to do that?...how could you have prevented the Enron scandal for example?...you couldn't have because you couldn't have known.

...people sometimes do stupid things and you simply cannot legislate/regulate that away...sometimes it's crimes of passion or greed or hate and it's always been that way and probably always will.

15. yankeesince59

...lol...you know, I swear I was thinking about that song too...last week I had an old ABBA song stuck in my head for 2 days. &$%#@*!

16. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Are you a good apple if you see bad and don't report it?

Police like to say "see something, say something"

But they see their peers do shit all the time and they say nothing.

Police live by the "No Snitch" policy and it must end.

calvin natt likes this.
  17. yankeesince59

...I didn't create a false argument...I simply made a statement...you seem to be misreading/interpreting things for some reason.

...sure, I'd like better cops, better teachers too...but as the saying goes, "garbage in, garbage"....for one thing, if we want want better trained cops/teachers our government could start by actually paying them for what their worth to attract a better crop/teacher, instead of giving out badges to anyone with a criminal justice degree or giving out teachers certificates to just about anyone who wants one.
    ...in other parts of the world teachers are groomed from the upper part of the class...not here though.

18. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Easy. Eliminate the No snitch policy and stop firing officers who expose police wrongdoing.

Hoopguru likes this.
  19. yankeesince59

...don't think that will solve everything.

20. PtldPlatypus

I'm sure you weren't intending to suggest that if a proposal doesn't solve everything then we should just do nothing, but that's how this statement comes off.

Incremental improvement is in fact a good thing.

Hoopguru and dviss1 like this.