Brad Miller and Haywood Rumors

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by craigehlo, Jan 29, 2010.

1. craigehlo

craigehlo Elite Wing

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/12681/blazers-search-for-size-and-other-trade-chatter

2. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    I think MIXUM can agree that this is yet more evidence of KP being scared to make a deal. Look at what's out there! Come on - act now!

3. RayDavies

RayDavies Member

Batum AND Rudy? No thanks. I don't think moving Batum would be wise, at this point.

4. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

Batum and Rudy?!?! That's hilarious!

5. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known Member

How bout it, MIXUM? Do you give up Nic and Rudy for Haywood?

Go Blazers

6. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

If KP didn't want to give up Batum and RLEC for Butler last year, what makes WAS think that we'd toss in Rudy if we could get Haywood? Even if the numbers worked out (which they don't), this isn't a great game to start playing. As I said earlier when Wheels "broke" this--what were our offers for RLEC that we turned down last year? Let's hear it! If he wants to put out "deals" like this to show why he doesn't make moves, great! What was the final offer for Hinrich? What did CHA want for G. Wallace? Let's see those, to see if we'd blame him or not for making those deals. Otherwise, it's hypocritical garbage.

7. MIXUM

MIXUM Suspended

radio/mixmaster/club jock/syndication programmer
    no i would not. however i also think good gm's can find ways to get good players without giving up the farm.

8. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

I'll give Grunfeld some credit, he's got a big pair of swinging brass balls.

9. MIXUM

MIXUM Suspended

radio/mixmaster/club jock/syndication programmer
    if thats what he wants for haywood... i dont expect to see him moved. maybe he just hates kpee like the rest of the league?

10. Nikolokolus

I think Grunfeld is starting high and then working backwards from there ... If he lowballed himself out of the gate then he'd be a terrible GM.

11. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Well, there's starting high, and there's being high while starting. I think Grunfeld is more of the latter.
    :smiley-happysmoke:

12. Nikolokolus

I think Ernie is probably still living under the delusion that he's going to be able to turn that team around without enduring a painful rebuilding period. I sort of expect him to panic a little bit closer to the deadline.

13. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I can never understand teams like that. I admire that they gave it a shot with that core. But it didn't work. And nothing you can do to that core is going to make it work. He needs to dump everyone. Even if some guys are good, just wipe the slate clean.

14. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    So are we to understand you've switch tacks from "Pritchard is crap because he won't do trades because he's in love with his players" to "Pritchard is crap because nobody will offer him good trades"?

Obviously if a good trade WAS made, it would "Pritchard is so crap that other GMs take pity on him and help him out with a good trade".

15. hasoos

hasoos Well-Known Member

Agreed. They need to melt down, build through the draft. Maybe keep a few guys like Nick Young around.

16. hasoos

hasoos Well-Known Member

I thought we should have tried to get Miller from Sacramento last year when he was available. He is a good center. He has several offensive moves, he is an excellent passer, he has playoff experience, and he can shoot. If he is indeed available, it is worth finding out what they want at least. I also wouldn't mind getting the Polish Hammer from Orlando. Gortat is being wasted there.

17. Luther

Luther Member

You don't think Pritchard has counter offered something of less value...Like maybe trying to throw Blake and Outlaw at them? It's really not worth getting rid of a young talent to get HAYWOOD..

18. santeesioux

santeesioux Just keep on scrolling by

Trolling the internet
    I'd rather trot out Juwan Howard at center for the rest of the season than do that Washington deal.

19. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

I don't think the Wiz realisticly expect Batum and Rudy for Haywood. They will be getting offers for Haywood and I would think a Rudy Blake package would be pretty competitive. They get a up and coming young prospect in Rudy and someone to help fill the hole Arenas left behind this year.

What I get from this rumor and others is teams are interested in Rudy, Batum and Bayless. I think (but don't know for sure) that Travis and blake have value because they are expriing contracts and teams are trying like hell to cut salary or clear slary for this summer.

So KP has pieces other teams are interested in. That isn't the question. The question is can he get a good deal done by trade deadline? I've already predicted he will . . .

20. Nikolokolus

If I were KP this would be my counter offer.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yfj3wxb

Some of their non-rotation expiring contract players can be waived to create enough roster spots (Oberto, Crittenton, McGuire, et al.)

The Wiz don't get quite the haul they were asking for with two guys like Nic and Rudy, but they do get a good young prospect at a position of need in Rudy, they get cap relief in Blake and for good measure they even get to take a flier on a cheap second round rookie and see if there is anything there that they like for the long term. If they'd prefer some size coming back instead of nothing but guards for the loss of Haywood, I'd offer them Pendergraph or Cunningham in a flash or maybe even the draft rights to Joel Freeland if that was what it takes.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yzu6tys

I dunno, I think of all the trade partners out there and possible trade targets, the Wizards and Haywood seem to make a lot of sense, but the trade has to be a little more balanced considering that there are no guarantees Brendan sticks around past the end of this year.