Brand agrees to sign with Sixers

Discussion in 'Philadelphia 76ers' started by Hunter, Jul 8, 2008.

1. CelticKing

CelticKing The Green Monster

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chutney @ Jul 8 2008, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Its just sinking in, the kind of basketball I'm going to be watching on a regular basis this season. I'm amped. This only makes things harder for Toronto, but seeing forwards like KG, JO, Bosh, and Brand battle it out on a regular basis is going to be awesome.

How much cap space would the Sixers have left if they complete this deal?</div>

Agree Chutney. I can't for the season to begin.

2. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">Elton Brand agrees to go to the 76ers; Corey Maggette has deal with the Warriors</span>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Elton Brand has reached a verbal agreement to sign a multiyear contract with the Philadelphia 76ers, according to an NBA source who requested anonymity because he is not authorized to speak on player movements.

The deal is believed to be in the $80-million range and expected to span five years.

Brand opted out of the final season of his Clippers contract last week to become a free agent. He was due $16.4 million had he stayed in the contract.

The deal cannot be finalized until the league's moratorium period ends at midnight EDT on Tuesday.

In another deal today, former Clipper Corey Maggette reached agreement to join the Golden State Warriors in a five-year deal worth about $50 million, according to NBA sources who requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak about player movements. Maggette also opted out of the last year of his Clippers contract last week.

The 76ers were the latest team to join the bidding frenzy for Brand, joining the Clippers and Golden State Warriors, who have already made five-year offers for Brand, according to the sources.

The 76ers cleared salary cap space Tuesday when they traded forwards Rodney Carney and Calvin Booth and a future No. 1 pick to the Minnesota Timberwolves in a deal that has yet to be officially announced but was first reported by Yahoo.com.

Brand has not been reached for comment since he opted out of the final season of his Clippers contract last week. He flew to Washington, D.C., to meet with Falk last week and had a medical checkup with Dr. Craig Morgan in Wilmington, Del., the sources said.

LA Times</div>

3. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing @ Jul 8 2008, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chutney @ Jul 8 2008, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Its just sinking in, the kind of basketball I'm going to be watching on a regular basis this season. I'm amped. This only makes things harder for Toronto, but seeing forwards like KG, JO, Bosh, and Brand battle it out on a regular basis is going to be awesome.

</div>
    Celtics will have to actually try in the East now [​IMG]

4. CelticKing

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 8 2008, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CelticKing @ Jul 8 2008, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chutney @ Jul 8 2008, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Its just sinking in, the kind of basketball I'm going to be watching on a regular basis this season. I'm amped. This only makes things harder for Toronto, but seeing forwards like KG, JO, Bosh, and Brand battle it out on a regular basis is going to be awesome.

</div>
    Celtics will have to actually try in the East now [​IMG]
    </div>

Haha, we can say goodbye to the 60+ win season. [​IMG]

5. Manhops23

Manhops23 Hi Rim my name is Lebron!

Yes thank GOD for Stefanski. Its on now. Teams better realize its on now

6. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Manhops23 @ Jul 9 2008, 01:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Yes thank GOD for Stefanski. Its on now. Teams better realize its on now</div>

I can't wait for the first over-the-hill veteran signing!

7. Smitty

Smitty brush em off.

Amazing how this went from being a pipe dream to becoming an actual reality. Our franchise just took a HUGE step forward and I'm loving it.

8. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">Sixers to sign Brand today</span>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>If everything goes as expected, the 76ers will become a much better team today with the signing of Elton Brand, a free-agent power forward who would fill their biggest need. A source close to Brand told The Inquirer last night that the Sixers' acquisition of Brand was a "done deal." The contract, which numerous sources said would be worth about $82 million over five years, can be signed today, when the NBA lifts its moratorium on free-agent signings.

Sixers spokesman Mike Preston said last night, "We are still right smack-dab in the middle of a moratorium period and we are unable to comment on any trades or roster moves."

Brand, 29, played in only eight games for the Los Angeles Clippers last season as he recovered from a ruptured left Achilles tendon.

The acquisition of Brand apparently was made possible earlier yesterday when the 76ers opened up additional room under the salary cap by trading reserves Rodney Carney and Calvin Booth plus a future first-round draft pick to the Minnesota Timberwolves. That deal, which will become official today, gives the Sixers more than $3 million in yearly cap space.

In the trade, the Sixers acquired Minnesota's $2.8 million trade exception, which can be used in a future deal.

"I have been informed that Calvin's contract would be traded to Minnesota," said Mark Termini, Booth's agent.

The 6-foot-8 Brand would give the Sixers the low-post threat that the team has been lacking in recent seasons - one who can command a double team.</div>

Philadelphia Inquirer

9. CelticKing