Brand or McGrady? Who should we get?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by Mag, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Mag

Mag JBB MacBeth

I truthfully think, the public, would rather see Tmac than Brand.. Just because, Tracy scores a amazin amount of points, and has his own Line of shoes.. I dont think Ebrands are gonna come out soon. :mrgreen:

But being serious, and looking what can take us into the next step of the playoffs, I think Brand would be a better addition.. I dont wanna retype all that stuff I said in the Elton Brand thread, so I'll just leave it at that.. <u>What do you guys think?</u> [​IMG]

2. NikeHoops3

NikeHoops3 JBB JustBBall Member

T-Mac would be a better addition to this team. We already have Yao to control the boards, we can sign a lesser PF for less cap

3. Ice

Ice JBB Member

Definitely Tracy McGrady.

The Rockets need another consistent offensive threat, and Tracy is just that. Although he has a poor attitude - he could be the final piece for the Rockets, making them contenders for a title. McGrady & Yao could make one helluva a duo. :thumbsup:

Elton Brand is an injury plagued PF. As good as Brand is, he wouldn't fit well alongside Yao. The team is built around Yao, and he needs a backcourt player who can dish it to him downlow.

4. jenike

jenike JBB JustBBall Member

Brand all the way. Yao can't get all of the boards! Plus if Yao is about to take more offensive control for the Rockets, they need someone to fill the spots that Yao won't be able to focus on as much. Plus, Van Gundy is a ver defensive minded coach, and I would say that T-Mac is probably one of the worse defenders in the league! I would take Brand over T-Mac anyday!

5. RocketLaunch

RocketLaunch JBB JustBBall Member

Brand! I know I'm not the biggest fan of his, but as the second best player on the team he can win, and his ego isn't too big, he could probably handle the second fiddle role... McGrady on the other hand won't be able to handle a demotion to second option and all the attention, credit and accolades being given to another player on his team other than him...

6. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

I'd say Brand, simply because he fits the team and coaching style. He has a little bit of everything and is versatile. He has a lot more defensive capabilities than McGrady.

Brand also plays fundamentally, we already have Francis, having the both of them would make playing way too complicated if you ask me. Not only that, but Brand is more than capable of carrying and helping with the total load, including offense. He has a strength and toughness about him that makes him like Ben Wallace. The quiet superman.

Also he has virtually no ego, he's quite a great and humble guy, whereas TMac on the otherhand isn't really neither though I'm probably being biased when I say that. Bad leaders, bad players, bad people are never ever good for anything, no matter what. Meaning someone like Marbury could really screw up and over your team.

7. KS1

KS1 JBB JustBBall Member

Brand, he can body guard Yao. I think Brand will be more of a share the ball with Yao kind of guy.

8. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    I would say Brand.

McGrady is a player that needs his touches and you will never see him shoot less than 10 times in a game. Brand, on the other hand, scores off putbacks and garbage baskets, so Yao's touches will not drop.

However, I do not find it realistic that we can get either of them. They would all involve Francis and as a fan of him and his improving passing game, I'd think it'd be wrong to let him go.

9. SupraJames

SupraJames JBB JustBBall Member

Brand.

I don't need to say why. [​IMG]

10. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

It would depend what you had to give up to acquire Brand or T-Mac. I think Brand is the better fit for the Rockets because he would do the dirty work for Yao. Brand is a coachable player and one of the superior power forwards in the league. A few years together, and they would dominate the league inside. Brand fits Van Gundy's pound and grind style of play, and is a superior rebounder on the offensive glass.

Tracy McGrady is a phenomenal player, but there isn't much difference from what he does and what Steve Francis does for the Rockets. Both players demand and need touches to produce and I don't think either are willing to play second fiddle to Yao. Aside from the Jordan Era, most NBA Champions have relied on a dominant big man to get the ring. Shaq and Duncan have provided their respective teams the most recent titles, and after Shaq retires, the dominant players inside will be Duncan, Garnett, Jermaine O'neal, and Yao.

11. kingpistonfan16

kingpistonfan16 JBB JustBBall Member

ok...T-Mac or Brand...i'd take Brand. i think i have a reason why...because brand has size and some jumpshots like Yao...

12. TreelVille

TreelVille JBB JustBBall Member

I would take McGrady over Brand anyday. that is a very silly question.
    That man is unstoppable and will score 70 before he retires.lol

13. pidandsid

pidandsid JBB JustBBall Member

I think you should sign a solid PG like Payton instead and trade Francis for Draft Picks!

Francis is *$%@~'L @~***"? and %&$~~@@@@@@@@@@

14. RocketLaunch

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TreelVille:</div><div class="quote_post">I would take McGrady over Brand anyday. that is a very silly question.
    That man is unstoppable and will score 70 before he retires.lol</div>

Not silly when you think about the team he's going to, he isn't coming to the Rockets to be the main guy, he's coming here to play second fiddle to Yao... The days of taking all the credit for his teams success and none of the blame when they stink are over with if he comes to play with Yao... Brand on the other hand seems like the kind of guy who is willing to sacrifice all the attention and praise, if it means winning...

Maybe he will score 70, I'm betting on him to lose that game though...

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting pidandsid:</div><div class="quote_post">I think you should sign a solid PG like Payton instead and trade Francis for Draft Picks!

Francis is *$%@~'L @~***"? and %&$~~@@@@@@@@@@</div>

Yeah... Sure... The same Payton who is on the bench in one of the most important games of his career...

15. bbwAce

bbwAce BBW Member

Man this is a tough choice...However, if we had tha chance to get McGrady, how could you pass that up? Yao and McGrady would be basically unstoppable. I appreciate Cato's hard work and effort as our PF, and I think him and Mo T make a formidable duo...McGrady gives us athleticism as well as the ability to play 3 spots on the floor...he has all the skills and would thrive in a post-orientated offense...

16. SupraJames

SupraJames JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah he can do all those things but the biggest question is whether he can share the ball and take a back seat to Yao.

17. Mag

Mag JBB MacBeth

When I've asked this questions to friends and read some comments, I think people are loookin at it like its Brand vs. McGrady, which it really isnt.. I'm pretty sure that Brand couldnt stop McGrady if they went head to head 1 on 1.. but thats not the question, the question is, Who fits in with the Rockets better? Some of u said that Tmac might not wanna play second to Yao, but if u think about it, when he said he wants to play for us, wouldnt he already realize that he wouldnt be the "main man?" I think he can, but, Brand offers something that no one on the current Rockets roster can produce - He gets 20 ppg, 10 rpg, almost 3 bpg.. thats soemthing that we dont have on a consistent basis.. like Trip said, if we had to trade Francis (prolly will) I would be very sad, but, i think most people realize that we cant get anywhere close to beating the Spurs and Twolves, come playofff time, with the same roster.. too much inexperience, too many slackers, too many All-Star wannabees.. truthfully, I dont think Steve or Yao shouldve started in the All-star game.. Scoringg 70 is not an incredible feat, I think Kobe, Lebron, Carmelo, even Yao (if he matures) can score 70.. Michael Jordan scored 63 against the Celtics because he was mad at Larry Bird for beating him in golf.. The Clippers, or Elton Brand, havent approached the Rockets for a deal anyways, but McGrady has... If the Clippers dont make an offer, than I'd be more than happy to have McGrady.. If we can make the Rockets look appealing to Mcgrady, we can screw over the Magic, maybe even, without selling Francis.. That is VERY possible.. If we sign Mcdyess, we'd have an amazing line-up : Yao, Mcdyess, J. Jackson, McGrady, Francis... that would be somewhat, no very, optimistic, but again, very possible.. And if Cap room is a problem, we can cut in to Francis' a little, and selling Mobley, will free up a WHOLE lot, i dunno why he makes as much as he does.. Gary Payton is sick of being left out of the offense, and he isnt the tenacious defender against quick PGs, ala Tony Parker, Chauncey Billups.. If he came to the Rockets, it would be interesting.. but i dont think he'll produce.. As I said earlier, <u>If Tmac wants to come to Houston, it should be obvious to him that he'd need to share the ball..</u>

18. RocketLaunch

Great post magnomonkey, I'm still skeptical on McGrady's willingness to play second fiddle anywhere he goes, after all he's been hearing that he's one of the top 5 players in the entire NBA for a few seasons now, Yao's never mentioned in those talks. Still, the combination of Yao and McGrady has a very, very, high ceiling, but can possibly backfire horribly if McGrady doesn't change.

19. Eclipse

Eclipse JBB JustBBall Member

The Rockets should go for T-Mac is if was between the two. The Rockets need a perimeter presence to go along with Yao to balance out their offence. If you look at the best teams in the league, they have both a perimeter and a post presence: LA - Shaq, Kobe, Detroit - Wallace, Rip, San Antonio - Duncan, Manu/Parker, Minny - Garnett, Casell/Sprewell, etc.

You need to take the focus of the opposition's defence away from Yao and the best way to do that is to have a solid perimeter threat.

20. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting Eclipse:</div><div class="quote_post">The Rockets need a perimeter presence to go along with Yao to balance out their offence.</div>

Actually, we have a few perimeter threats: Jackson, Mobley and Pike can all hit the three consistently. What we actually need is a consistent scorer on a team filled with inconsistent players.