Brand Re-signs!

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Clippers' started by Voodoo Child, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

Here is the story straight from Clippers.com -

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">[​IMG]

The Clippers are proud to announce the re-signing of All-Star forward Elton Brand.

The club matched an offer presented by the Miami Heat, thereby re-signing the restricted free agent to a multi-year contract. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

?I am very pleased that Elton Brand will continue to be an important part of our organization,? stated Clippers Vice President of Basketball Operations Elgin Baylor. ?I never doubted the outcome of this process and I couldn?t be happier.?

A four-year NBA veteran, Brand averaged 18.5 points, 11.3 rebounds and 39.6 minutes in 62 games played during the 2002-03 season. Brand led the league in offensive rebounds per game (4.6) and would have placed fourth in the NBA in rebounding had he played in at least 70 games. He missed 18 games on the year with a stress fracture in his lower left leg, being placed on the injured list for the first time in his career. Brand also led the team in scoring (1,146 points), rebounding (703 rebounds) and blocked shots (158 blocks) for the second consecutive season.

?I?m excited that we have gotten Elton?s contract situation finalized,? said Clippers Head Coach Mike Dunleavy. ?A big part of my decision to come here was based on coaching Elton. He is not only the cornerstone of our franchise, he is also a great professional and an All-Star.?

The first overall selection by the Chicago Bulls in the 1999 NBA Draft, Brand has tallied 19.2 points, 10.7 rebounds, 1.9 blocks and 38.3 minutes over his NBA career. Brand, the 2000 co-Rookie of the Year, was originally acquired by the Clippers in a draft day trade with Chicago on June 27, 2001.
    </div>

2. twolvefan11

twolvefan11 JBB Banned Member

He will leave next year, this is just a delay. It was a good signing none the less.

3. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting twolvefan11:</div><div class="quote_post">He will leave next year, this is just a delay. It was a good signing none the less.</div>

He can't...the deal is for 6 years..82 million....he can't leave....

4. Ice

Ice JBB Member

Hes got 6 more years playing for a team he just wants to get away from!

5. purehoops

purehoops JBB KGSource

poor Brand... poor poor Brand... allnet is another traded!

6. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting purehoops:</div><div class="quote_post">allnet is another traded!</div>

That means?

7. purehoops

purehoops JBB KGSource

trader*... typo there... meaning you ditched my sig for an Emily sig [​IMG]

8. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

I needed a new one...had the pistons one for a while...

9. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

Getting back on topic, I understand Brand's logic for resigning. Los Angeles is a great place for a millionaire to live, and he knows that. Right now he could probably care less if he wins a ring with the Clippers, because after this six year deal is done Brand will still have another decade or so to try to win one on another team. Right now he is just taking the money and settling in L.A..

10. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

it's all making sense if they do in fact re-sign c-maggs & odom and then add arenas!