Brandon Jennings to play in Europe

Discussion in 'International Basketball' started by Kid Chocolate, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Kid Chocolate

Kid Chocolate Suspended

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3479195

Might not have qualified for college, but will go to Europe regardless. Kobi, have you heard about which teams have been pursuing him? I'm interested to see where he winds up, would be great to see him play against Rubio and that really could decide who is picked at the top of the draft, between the 2 marquee PG prospects.

2. GMJ

GMJ Suspended

How do you not qualify for college?

3. pegs

pegs My future wife.

Tiki Mayben didn't qualify for college, because he failed high school..

Or maybe just his SATs.

4. GMJ

GMJ Suspended

Well if you fail your SAT's (and that's bad) you can submit your ACT to some schools. The word "qualify" really stands out. How do you fail highschool? [​IMG]

5. Kid Chocolate

Kid Chocolate Suspended

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GMJigga @ Jul 9 2008, 02:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>How do you not qualify for college?</div>

There's a minimum standardized test score that you need. For the SAT it's 820 with a 2.5 GPA. I'm sure Jennings had a fine GPA because he went to Oak Hill, and that's not really a school, but a basketball factory.

Jennings took the test 3 times. The first time he didn't qualify. The 2nd time his score was flagged because it jumped up too much. He is still awaiting his 3rd scores, he claims.

Check out this quote from him:
    "The first time I took it I didn't try, the second time I did so I had to take it a third time,"? Jennings said.

Check out this article I stumbled on about Deshawn Stevenson trying to qualify for college.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketbal...venson_test_ap/

"Stevenson, a 6-foot-5 shooting guard who signed to play at Kansas, said last Sunday that he'd changed his mind about turning pro after learning that his latest SAT score was good enough to allow him to play for a Division I school next season.

Now, however, he's uncertain once again after saying he'd been told his SAT score was invalid.

"It went up 700 points," said Stevenson, who first took the test two years ago as a high school sophomore. "They said it went up too much."

Stevenson's SAT score, only about 450 the first time, jumped to about 1,150 when he took the test again, well above the 820 necessary for freshman eligibility at a NCAA Division I school."

450! 450!?!?! That's ungodly bad. I can't even grasp doing that bad. 450!

6. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

Deshawn is a pretty bright guy...

7. kobimel

kobimel Hapoel

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid Chocolate @ Jul 9 2008, 09:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3479195

Might not have qualified for college, but will go to Europe regardless. Kobi, have you heard about which teams have been pursuing him? I'm interested to see where he winds up, would be great to see him play against Rubio and that really could decide who is picked at the top of the draft, between the 2 marquee PG prospects.</div>

No idea. I'm sure a lot of Euroleague teams would throw tons of cash at him, he doesn't have to worry about a thing. We'll just have to wait and see where he ends up, if I hear any news I'll post it.

8. GMJ

GMJ Suspended

wow Brandon Jennings is a goddamn dumbass then, and NEEDS to go to school [​IMG]

No one thinks this is a red flag for GM's?

9. Master Shake

Master Shake young phoenix

^It's the NBA, not MENSA.

10. Kid Chocolate

Kid Chocolate Suspended

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GMJigga @ Jul 9 2008, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>wow Brandon Jennings is a goddamn dumbass then, and NEEDS to go to school [​IMG]

No one thinks this is a red flag for GM's?</div>

You act like he's the only one. Many guys in the league wouldn't/couldn't qualify. Why do you think you used to see so many HS'ers enter their name in the draft?

All I know is Jennings is the 2nd best HS player I've ever seen, behind Lebron.

11. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

I remember Brandon Roy had the same thing happen to him.

I was actually kind of hoping this would happen, just to see how it'll play out. The prospect of an American athlete with European experience is intriguing.

12. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid Chocolate @ Jul 9 2008, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GMJigga @ Jul 9 2008, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>wow Brandon Jennings is a goddamn dumbass then, and NEEDS to go to school [​IMG]

No one thinks this is a red flag for GM's?</div>

You act like he's the only one. Many guys in the league wouldn't/couldn't qualify. Why do you think you used to see so many HS'ers enter their name in the draft?

All I know is Jennings is the 2nd best HS player I've ever seen, behind Lebron.
    </div>

I'm clueless on this: Was Lebron eligible for college? Hell, did he even try?

13. Kid Chocolate

Kid Chocolate Suspended

I doubt Lebron even took the SAT. He knew he was going pro, regardless. Remember the Hummer incident? No way that happens if he plans to go to college.

Sidenote: First game he was eligible to come back after that, I was at that game, where he played against Trevor Ariza, and dropped fitty on him.
    <div><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UWfe_pg-nZw&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UWfe_pg-nZw&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" /></embed></object></div>

14. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

I like this precedent as a college fan.

Personally, I don't like the 19 year old rule because while it may add a significant amount of talent to the collegiate scene, it also subtracts from the meaning of college athletics. For one, you have less student athletes, in the truest sense of the word. And sure, call me naive to think that most athletes are also students, but you'd be surprised how many are, and you know that these guys planning on going one-and-done aren't among them.

You also have to consider what college basketball is in terms of legacies. When you add these players like O.J. Mayo, Michael Beasley, and Derrick Rose going to non-traditional powerhouses like Southern Cal, K. State, and Memphis, just to get playing time and prepare from the pro's, it takes away from the tradition of the game. I'm not necessarily saying that parity is a bad thing, but I do like there to be traditional powers, and the 19 year old rule takes away from that significantly.

I like the old fashioned four year players, and even the three year guys. If you took all this year's freshmen and a handful of the the NBA-minded sophomores out of the equation, the college game would have been a lot easier to be a fan of this season.

Hopefully more players set on going to the pro's over college will do this in the future, and it'll work towards repealing the rule.