Exclusive Breaking: Blazers to preview two of the new Nike uniforms this weekend

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Jul 27, 2017.

1. GrandJury

GrandJury Well-Known Member

Thank you. I don't understand these people. Do you watch for the love of the game and being interested in the sport or what?

I can't stand fickle fans. I could care less what's on the uniform I watch for the love of the game

2. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

The NBA is a joke. It's a show. It's theater. No other pro sport has the kind of star treatment that the NBA encourages. The only hope is to one day acquire a star that garners the kind of special treatment that a LeBron, or Durant, or Harden gets from the refs.

The patches are just another example of how the NBA doesn't give a shit about the game. Only money.

BonesJones likes this.
  3. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

4. Natebishop3

Some pro leagues care about protecting the integrity of the game...... crazy thought, I know.

5. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Which ones?

6. Natebishop3

Curling...... duh!

BlazerCaravan likes this.
  7. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

The NBA is the only sport that has pre determined stoppages in play to run commercial timeouts. Even saw this shit when I played low level college ball. Pretty ridiculous.

Natebishop3 likes this.
  8. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

Americans have not watched Soccer for a long time.

9. GrandJury

Then stop watching it and stop commenting on an NBA teams forum

10. Natebishop3

Why stop commenting when I can annoy people like you?

11. GrandJury

Real talk stop watching the NBA then if you don't like it

12. Natebishop3

I don't watch the NBA. I have zero interest in any team that's not the Blazers.

I love basketball. I love the Blazers. I can't stand the NBA. My passion for the NBA has diminished to basically the bare minimum, but I used to be a huge fan. They have completely lost me outside of hoping that the Blazers someday win something.

BlazerCaravan likes this.
  13. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

How is this a bad thing?

14. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

To each his own. Shit we are the COMPLETE opposite. I watch close to 100 LIVE games every year. Record 4 or 5 games a night I slam thru when I get off work when the family is asleep. Record and watch college games, summer league, EURO league games. I've been watching the 3X3 and The Basketball Tournement games this whole summer. Then it starts all over again with preseason.

That said, the only other sports I watch is college football and Timbers games. Hoops is a passion for me. Only basketball I don't think I watch is women's hoops. Tried, just hurts to watch!

Nate likes this.
  15. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

Look at the jerseys for my hometown in France...

[​IMG]

A patch, one add on each leg of the short and a bigass one right in the middle.
    I think I can put up with a little patch in the NBA.

Oh look, that's my boy Frank !

riverman likes this.
  16. BonesJones

It's a bad thing because they spend 3 minutes at the 6 minute mark for commercials. Let the teams call timeouts. And if you're going to pre-plan commercial breaks to maximize revenue at the expense of your viewers (which I'm okay with), at least don't throw an advertising patch on a uniform. That's just doubling down on greediness. I'm expecting their to be advertising billboards all around the court like there is in Europe in 5 years.

The thing I don't like about the NBA in general is that it's promoted in a way that promotes being a casual fan over a die-hard fan. They're the only sport that does that shit. They do it with the over-emphasis on triple doubles, the constant coverage of a select few teams/players at expense of others, (hell, LaMelo fucking Ball is more well known than over half the players in the NBA), the analysts and "experts" are some the least knowledgeable about their sport, and a ton of coverage this off-season has been about Lebron going to the Lakers next year. Superstars get "superstar treatment", which isn't much of a thing in other sports (except for the "Brady rules"). Half of the headlines the other day on ESPNs "NBA" section was about Lavar Ball and his high school AAU team. This is the type of shit that caters to casual fans. A casual fan isn't going to care about a jersey patch, but a die-hard, traditional fan will. Die-hard, traditional fans are the lifeblood of the NBA, and are the one's that buy a lot of gear, season-tickets, and watch every game. These fans give the NBA the most of it's revenue, and a lot of them live in small markets. However, the NBA and the media shits on these types of fans in favor of the casual fans. The NBA acts like their traditional, die-hard fans don't matter, when in reality, those fans are the reason the NBA is what it is.

17. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Preach

BonesJones likes this.
  18. Natebishop3

The NBA in the 90s was at its absolute peak.... and then they mortgaged the game for higher scores and better ratings. They changed the rules and they emphasized superstar treatment, beginning with Shaq and the Lakers.

BonesJones likes this.
  19. BonesJones

It'll hurt the NBA once this current TV deal is over. Yes, casual fans will watch a lot of "superstar matchups" on national TV, but the NBA doesn't make anywhere close to the money off of them as the do die-hard fans. Losing one die-hard fan is like losing ten casual fans, because the casual fan will sit at home and watch a couple game a week on TV (to see Westbrook play against Lonzo and the Warriors play against the Rockets, etc.), while the average die-hard fan will pay hundreds of dollars a year on tickets, pay $70-$100 on a jersey, pay $200 for NBA League Pass, as well as watch some nationally televised games. While the NBA makes more money off of bigger markets, they're less important, as those markets have more casual fans that will never lose interest in the NBA. The NBA is making the mistake of catering to these markets when these markets (New York, Los Angeles, Miami, etc.) have the least potential to cause a decline in the average annual income of the NBA. Fans of these teams won't get tired of catering to superstars, greedy advertising, specified over-coverage of a few different players/teams. Yes, there's die-hard fans in big markets, but they won't have a problem with the NBA covering their team less, or anything the NBA may do.

The one's who are going to have a problem is Bucks fans, Blazer fans, Utah fans, etc. I'm starting to see die-hard fans get frustrated with the direction the NBA is going, and I think that they'll slowly stop spending a ton of money on tickets, and jerseys (even though ad patches won't be on fan-bought jerseys, I think they'll affect sales), and other factors. The NBA will lose a ton of money as it's die-hard fans get tired of supporting a product that doesn't cater to them, that doesn't care about them, and that doesn't have the parity to give them hope in their team competing in a championship (because the answer to superteams is to form more superteams in big markets, which the media perpetrates, such as "Lebron and PG13 going to LA to play with Lonzo").

The next TV deal will be lower because the NBA will lose more fans in total, but that won't be the biggest hit. The NBA will have to rely even more on the TV deal than before, but I think the media is already regretting the TV deals they've struck with the NBA. The next TV deal will be lower, and with the parity problem combined with the way the NBA is being marketed, there will be less die-hard fans willing to spend a ton of money on the NBA, and the NBA's salary cap will go down. There's a reason there wasn't a big bump in the salary cap this year that was thought to have happen a year ago. The salary cap will drop in a few years, and then the NBA will realize that their marketing plan doesn't work, and they'll have to fix the parity problem. They'll also realize that they need to alter it's playoff system, as playing 82 games for a seed between 1 and 8 waters down each game. The comparison I'll use is the MLB, which plays 162 games, and playoff spots often come down to a game or two. The big difference is, winning your division is meaningful, as you don't have to play a Wild Card game. If you don't win the division, you're battling just to make the playoffs, with the 4th or 5th spot being the difference in home-field advantage in a win-or-go-home 1 game playoff.

If the NBA had parity and cared about the collective product put together by all 30 of it's teams (the way baseball does), I'd pay $200 for NBA League Pass, and I'd watch a lot of other games on National TV. @HCP will respond with "But it's great players playing great basketball, why wouldn't you want to watch?". My response to that is that the NBA has made me have an aversion to other superstars beceause they overmarket them, and care more about the casual fan paying attention to a select group of stars than they do about the die-hard fans in small markets that supply them with more income. So why would I want to watch Westbrook play because he's great, when the NBA values the fan from Kentucky who's an "OKC" fan just because he geeks out over the collection of stats that is a triple double more than me, a guy who pays for tickets all the time hoping his "small" hometown team will overcome the big-market bias created my the NBA and who gives the NBA more of my money than the casual fan from Kentucky?

The NBA is broken. They're success is hitting a peak right now because social media has created a huge amount of casual fans and the die-hard fans from small markets aren't yet fed up with the NBAs bullshit. However, it's starting to turn, and the NBA is going to realize just how important die-hard fans from small markets are.

Darkwebs likes this.
  20. BonesJones

Shit, I'm going to start a thread with this.