Breaking News: Iverson Will Be Traded to Denver

Discussion in 'Philadelphia 76ers' started by Really Lost One, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Denver Nuggets have reached an agreement in principle with the Philadelphia 76ers to acquire Allen Iverson, according to NBA front-office

The trade, pending league approval, some two weeks after Iverson demanded a trade in Philly, would send Andre Miller, Joe Smith and two 2007 first-round picks to the Sixers for Iverson and perhaps another minimum-salaried player or two. It was expected to be completed later Tuesday barring any snags.

The Sixers had been hoping to take back only expiring contracts in any Iverson deal, unless they were receiving a top-flight young player like Minnesota's Randy Foye or Shaun Livingston of the Los Angeles Clippers.

But with Philly and Denver struggling to find a third team to join in to make the deal more financially enticing for the Sixers, they decided to end an auction that began in earnest when Iverson's demand to be traded was confirmed by Sixers chairman Ed Snider on Dec. 8.

This deal will bring Philly a former league assist leader in Miller, Smith's expiring salary of nearly $7 million and those two first-round picks in June -- projected to be in the 20s -- to go with their own lottery pick. Miller is averaging 13 points and 9.1 assists per game -- third-best in the NBA -- while Smith, an 11-year veteran, has played little this season, averaging only 13.5 minutes and 5.1 points per game.

The Nuggets' interest in Iverson dates to last February and has only increased since the Sixers made him available to the whole league earlier this month. Their chief motivation is pairing Iverson with Anthony in coach George Karl's up-tempo attack, but acquiring Iverson now -- just a day after Anthony and J.R. Smith were suspended for 15 and 10 games, respectively, for their roles in Saturday night's fight with the New York Knicks -- gives a much-needed jolt to Denver's depleted roster.

The former teammates from the 2004 U.S. Olympic squad won't be able to play together until Anthony is reinstated for a Jan. 20 game at Houston.

Miller, who led the NBA in assists with 10.9 per game for Cleveland in 2001-02, makes $8.7 million this season and has $19.2 million left on his contract over the following two seasons.

It's apparent, though, that the Sixers decided it was better to absorb Miller's contract now -- along with the opportunity to have three first-round selections in what scouts are calling the deepest draft in years -- as opposed to dragging out the Iverson saga further.

Iverson has been in exile for the past 11 days, languishing on the Sixers' inactive list while still accruing his per-game earnings of $156,218.

Iverson, 31, is averaging 31.2 points per game -- second only to Carmelo Anthony's 31.6 ppg -- in 15 games this season. He has a career 28.1 ppg scoring average in 11 NBA seasons, all in Philadelphia. He led the Sixers to the 2001 NBA Finals, where they lost to the Los Angeles Lakers in five games, but the team has seen little playoff success since.

He was Rookie of the year in 1997 and MVP in 2001. He has led the NBA in scoring four times, most recently in 2005, finishing in the league's top three every year since 1999, and twice led the league in steals. </div>
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2702501

2. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

That's wack, I wanted him to go to Minny.

F Denver though.

3. Smitty

Smitty brush em off.

Breaking New eh Brian?

I'll give my opinion on this later.

4. deception

deception JBB Banned Member

i can't believe iverson accepted a trade to denver. i hope denver finishes out of the playoffs while iverson-melo feud and karl gets fired.

5. thedude9990

thedude9990 JBB JustBBall Member

6. Really Lost One

<div class="quote_poster">deception Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">i can't believe iverson accepted a trade to denver. i hope denver finishes out of the playoffs while iverson-melo feud and karl gets fired.</div>

Why such hard feelings? Anyways, after thinking about it, I really think we got ripped off. Basically we traded away Iverson for expiring contracts and 2 late first round picks. I just don't believe this was the best deal on the table. If anything, this trade should have brought us JR Smith, or some other youngster.

7. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Brian Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Why such hard feelings? Anyways, after thinking about it, I really think we got ripped off. Basically we traded away Iverson for expiring contracts and 2 late first round picks. I just don't believe this was the best deal on the table. If anything, this trade should have brought us JR Smith, or some other youngster.</div>
    You definitely got ripped off, even with Iverson publicly demanding a trade, the 76ers could have gotten more. This is very similar to the Vince Carter trade to New Jersey. Only thing is Iverson is averaging 31 points and is second in scoring. Hey, at least you got Miller - 18/9. And he's expiring in 2 years I think.

Deception probably lost respect for Iverson after demanding a trade, just like me.

8. Really Lost One

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">You definitely got ripped off, even with Iverson publicly demanding a trade, the 76ers could have gotten more. This is very similar to the Vince Carter trade to New Jersey. Only thing is Iverson is averaging 31 points and is second in scoring. Hey, at least you got Miller - 18/9. And he's expiring in 2 years I think.</div>

Expiring in 2 years?? I thought both his and Smith's contract expires after this season. Wow, that doesn't make the trade any better. I'm still shocked at how we didn't get JR Smith in return [​IMG]

If this was really the best offer on the table, then I have nothing left to say

9. Laker_fan

Laker_fan JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Brian Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Why such hard feelings? Anyways, after thinking about it, I really think we got ripped off. Basically we traded away Iverson for expiring contracts and 2 late first round picks. I just don't believe this was the best deal on the table. If anything, this trade should have brought us JR Smith, or some other youngster.</div>

You think you got ripped off? [​IMG] You got screwed, hardcore.

Are the 76'ers management trying to lose? This deal makes no sense, I'm sure they have better deals on the table.

10. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

Hmm, I figured he would end up in Minny. Philly didn't exactly get the best deal either.

Like Brian said, I expected them to get at least J.R.

So, basically you got butt raped in this deal.

11. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

I don't think the trade is that bad from a Philly stand point. Sure you don't get any young players but you got 3 picks in the upcoming draft, and future salary cap space which they desprately need.

Remember how they said they were fielding all offers? More than likely this is the best they could get, because they talked to all teams and took offers from all the teams that were interested in Allen.

Of course I'm a lot more optimistic because the Nuggets are my second favorite team along with Carmelo being my second favorite player.

12. Smitty

Smitty brush em off.

Yeah if you actually look at it again..it really isn't THAT bad. Miller's one of the better PG's in the league, plus 2 more picks to work with.

13. Really Lost One

<div class="quote_poster">Air Fresh Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I don't think the trade is that bad from a Philly stand point. Sure you don't get any young players but you got 3 picks in the upcoming draft, and future salary cap space which they desprately need.

Remember how they said they were fielding all offers? More than likely this is the best they could get, because they talked to all teams and took offers from all the teams that were interested in Allen.</div>

But still, I at least expected more than this. Basically what we get is 2 late first round picks, and although this draft is very deep, I don't see who we can draft later on in the draft better than someone like Randy Foye, whom the Sixers should have strongly pursued. Joe Smith is basically just a filler, and Andre Miller is the only player in our return package worthy of some playing time. All in all, like Kidd said, we got butt raped. We should have at least gotten JR Smith. Ah well, what's done is done, complaining won't change anything. But still, like I said, if this was the best deal on the table, then I am just shocked.

14. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Air Fresh Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I don't think the trade is that bad from a Philly stand point. Sure you don't get any young players but you got 3 picks in the upcoming draft, and future salary cap space which they desprately need.

Remember how they said they were fielding all offers? More than likely this is the best they could get, because they talked to all teams and took offers from all the teams that were interested in Allen.

Of course I'm a lot more optimistic because the Nuggets are my second favorite team along with Carmelo being my second favorite player.</div>
    Isn't it 2 picks in the draft? Denver had rights to two picks this draft? I thought it was one in 2007 the other in 2008.

Edit: NVM, I see they have Dallas' pick which should be in the 27-30 range. Maybe they could package their picks and get Oden or at least Durrant.

15. Really Lost One

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Isn't it 2 picks in the draft? Denver had rights to two picks this draft? I thought it was one in 2007 the other in 2008.</div>

I think it is Denver's pick and another team's pick that Denver required in a trade. Hopefully, we can use these 2 first rounders to move higher in the draft. I'm still pissed though. I definetly think we could have gotten more, but oh well. What's done is done. I guess you can't really expect much if Billy King is your GM

16. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Isn't it 2 picks in the draft? Denver had rights to two picks this draft? I thought it was one in 2007 the other in 2008.

Edit: NVM, I see they have Dallas' pick which should be in the 27-30 range. Maybe they could package their picks and get Oden or at least Durrant.</div>
    Two first rounders from Denver, plus the 76ers pick which looks like a lottery pick right about now.

You guys are saying we didn't get a Randy Foye or a JR Smith, I bet you NBA teams didn't want to budge on their young talent.

17. deception

deception JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">You definitely got ripped off, even with Iverson publicly demanding a trade, the 76ers could have gotten more. This is very similar to the Vince Carter trade to New Jersey. Only thing is Iverson is averaging 31 points and is second in scoring. Hey, at least you got Miller - 18/9. And he's expiring in 2 years I think.</div>

hard feelings about denver cause i hate them, specifically melo, the wannabe thug.

anyways, as for the trade- i thought u guys got sufficient value. here's why- smith's contract is off the books this year, and cwebb's contract is off the books in in the summer of 2008. essentially, u were trading for cap room. secondly, u got two first rounders in the deepest draft since 2003, plus, the sixers have their own pick (probably lottery bound) which gives u three first rounders. furthermore, u get andre miller who's a borderline all star in my opinion, plus he's the kind of guy who will accelerate the development of iggy, sammy d and korver with his past first mentality.

the raptors got eric williams (who was overweight and had three more years on his contract); aaron williams (who had two more years and didn't get much playing time here) ; two first rounders in a bad draft and Zo who never played for us and we had to buy him out. trust me the sixers did well for themselves.

18. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

Of course this trade is a rip-off if you expected a fair deal. You weren't going to get much back for Iverson. I think that was a given when the trade demand went public, but became even more obvious as Billy King laboured along the negotiations. You got about as much as you could've. The two picks come in a good year and you got to hope that Denver's suspensions bring down their record. Joe Smith gives you cap relief. And you got a solid, albeit overrated, player in Miller.

If you want to find someone to blame about this unequal trade, just look at Iverson.

19. Pakman

Pakman JBB ITS ON ME!!!

This trade is a rip-off for rite now til Sixers draft, then it wont seem too bad for Sixers. They got 3 picks.

I think it was an okay deal. It's better as a long-term deal for Sixers.

20. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

Honestly, I like the deal. We get Andre Miller, who's one of the better point guards when it comes to distributing the ball, along with two draft picks in possibly the deepest class in history. What would JR Smith do on a team loaded with wing players (Iguodala, Carney, Green, Korver, Williams)? Joe Smith, although is past his prime, is a better fit to this team. I'm definitely looking forward to June with our three draft picks.