Breaking News: Iverson Will Be Traded to Denver

Discussion in 'Philadelphia 76ers' started by Really Lost One, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

HOSED! Philly was absolutely HOSED in this deal. You get nothing back in this trade. Andre Miller is 30 years old, Joe Smith is a filler, and two late first rounders are a crapshoot. The 2007 draft class looks great if, and only IF, all the underclassmen declare. Even then there is guarantee any player Philly drafts will pan out.

Philly didn't get a single young player with any potential.

Philly could have done much better. The entire way they handled this trade demand was a joke.

2. Legacy

Legacy Beast

Wow. Nuggets could be serious contenders when Melo is back. Sixers got nothing out of this deal.

3. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- A day after losing one superstar for a month, the Denver Nuggets got an even bigger one -- Allen Iverson.

The four-time scoring champion was traded Tuesday by the Philadelphia 76ers to the Nuggets for Andre Miller, Joe Smith and two 2007 first-round picks. The Nuggets also get Ivan McFarlin.</div>

YAHOO News report on the trade. Check the link for more.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-7...ov=ap&type=lgns

4. bbwtrench

bbwtrench BBW Member

Anyone remember Barkley and Chamberlain? I guess three times a charm in Philly.

5. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

So we also lose Ivan McFarlin? Big deal, the guy never saw any playing time anyways

6. Iggy

Iggy Iggy

Now we have 2 Dre's.

Alley-oop, from Dre to Dre!

7. norespect

norespect JBB gotta nuke something...

<div class="quote_poster">deception Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">hard feelings about denver cause i hate them, specifically melo, the wannabe thug.

anyways, as for the trade- i thought u guys got sufficient value. here's why- smith's contract is off the books this year, and cwebb's contract is off the books in in the summer of 2008. essentially, u were trading for cap room. secondly, u got two first rounders in the deepest draft since 2003, plus, the sixers have their own pick (probably lottery bound) which gives u three first rounders. furthermore, u get andre miller who's a borderline all star in my opinion, plus he's the kind of guy who will accelerate the development of iggy, sammy d and korver with his past first mentality.

the raptors got eric williams (who was overweight and had three more years on his contract); aaron williams (who had two more years and didn't get much playing time here) ; two first rounders in a bad draft and Zo who never played for us and we had to buy him out. trust me the sixers did well for themselves.</div>

I agree to some degree. When you break it down, Philly only got one starter for AI. Who is gonna score now? The raptors were trading from a different point, VC threw in the towel and was avg. like 15 points a game while AI is second in the league right now.

8. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">deception Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">hard feelings about denver cause i hate them, specifically melo, the wannabe thug.

anyways, as for the trade- i thought u guys got sufficient value. here's why- smith's contract is off the books this year, and cwebb's contract is off the books in in the summer of 2008. essentially, u were trading for cap room. secondly, u got two first rounders in the deepest draft since 2003, plus, the sixers have their own pick (probably lottery bound) which gives u three first rounders. furthermore, u get andre miller who's a borderline all star in my opinion, plus he's the kind of guy who will accelerate the development of iggy, sammy d and korver with his past first mentality.

the raptors got eric williams (who was overweight and had three more years on his contract); aaron williams (who had two more years and didn't get much playing time here) ; two first rounders in a bad draft and Zo who never played for us and we had to buy him out. trust me the sixers did well for themselves.</div>

If you want to draw comparisons, just look at the direction the Nets franchise took after they acquired Vince Carter, versus the direction the Raptors took post-Vince.

9. AIFan

AIFan JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">MrJ Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Deception probably lost respect for Iverson after demanding a trade, just like me.</div>Did you gain respect for him when he stood by Philly and said he wanted to retire a Sixer each of the last 6 years when his name came up in trade rumors?

I don't see any reason to lose respect for him demanding a trade, the team shopped him for so long and he didn't break, instead he reiterated his love for the city, the team, the fans and expressed his desire to remain a part of the team. Personally, I think he should have asked for a trade a few years ago, the team sucks and the leagues best GM(extreme sarcasm) couldn't put a team together if his life depended on it.

<div class="quote_poster">Chutney Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">
    If you want to find someone to blame about this unequal trade, just look at Iverson.</div>Yeah, ignore the obscenely incompetent GM responsible for building the team. But it's to be expected that AI gets the shaft, I have a feeling he would have gotten the shaft no matter the outcome.

<div class="quote_poster">CPaulDWade#3 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Dang, Denvers got the top two scorers. Doubt theyll share the ball much though.</div>That's funny, sharing the ball didn't seem to be a problem at the Olympics

10. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

Wow, this trade was horrible for both teams IMO. How can you even say the Nuggets have Championship hopes when they traded away the motor to their team? Andre Miller was the one that ran the show, they were a fastbreaking team, not they don't have that passive PG anymore. Then they're extremely small at the PG, bigger and stronger PG's could post up all day with Iverson and Boykins playing. The other thing is that the Nuggets traded away their only legitimate PG, no way in hell you can say Iverson has the same vision Andre Miller had. Don't give me that sh*T that he had to shoot because he had no team, real PG's make their team better.
    As for the Philly part of the deal, what is their GM thinking? A PG that's a stud but on the decline, expiring contract, and 20+ draft picks in a draft that isn't really that strong once it gets to the 20's IMO. There had to be something better out there, because they got raped in the ass [​IMG]

11. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

<div class="quote_poster">AIFan Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">That's funny, sharing the ball didn't seem to be a problem at the Olympics</div>

I actually don't really buy into the fact that Iverson won't share the ball. Like AIFan said, it wasn't a problem in the Olympics, and it sure wasn't a problem in all the All-Star games he has played in.........

Although they aren't completely the same thing, I feel that Iverson can be effective without having to dominate the ball every second

12. deception

deception JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">If you want to draw comparisons, just look at the direction the Nets franchise took after they acquired Vince Carter, versus the direction the Raptors took post-Vince.</div>

yeah and thats why i argued philly got more and won't share in that fate.

<div class="quote_poster">AIFan Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Did you gain respect for him when he stood by Philly and said he wanted to retire a Sixer each of the last 6 years when his name came up in trade rumors?

I don't see any reason to lose respect for him demanding a trade, the team shopped him for so long and he didn't break, instead he reiterated his love for the city, the team, the fans and expressed his desire to remain a part of the team. Personally, I think he should have asked for a trade a few years ago, the team sucks and the leagues best GM(extreme sarcasm) couldn't put a team together if his life depended on it.

</div>
    i didn't say that, mr. was speculating about me. i hate denver cause of melo, i don't care about a.i.

13. tradebark

tradebark JBB JustBBall Member

IMO Iverson is more than capable of being a good distributor

Remember this guy still averages quite a few assists per game despite not having much of a supporting cast.

It's really hard to say that Iverson is a bad PG because his team didn't win. His teammates have been HORRIBLE for years now.. And saying he's less of a distributor than.... ANDRE MILLER??? hahahah

Ohhh man

Some of you homers (or haters) need to realize that when all is said and done, Iverson will be considered one of the 50 greatest players to ever play the game.. and that all of the talk about him declining as he gets older has so far not proven true at all..

..and the Nuggets just got him for big contracts and late first round picks..

I mean the LEAST they could have done was demand JR Smith, and that would still have been a steal for Denver.

14. igotask8board

igotask8board Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Brian Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">But still, I at least expected more than this. Basically what we get is 2 late first round picks, and although this draft is very deep, I don't see who we can draft later on in the draft better than someone like Randy Foye, whom the Sixers should have strongly pursued. Joe Smith is basically just a filler, and Andre Miller is the only player in our return package worthy of some playing time. All in all, like Kidd said, we got butt raped. We should have at least gotten JR Smith. Ah well, what's done is done, complaining won't change anything. But still, like I said, if this was the best deal on the table, then I am just shocked.</div>

I admire your modestness.

<div class="quote_poster">tradebark Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Horrid trade though.. My gosh [​IMG]

This makes the Shaq trade look dead even</div>

[​IMG] good one.

<div class="quote_poster">Brian Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Expiring in 2 years?? I thought both his and Smith's contract expires after this season. Wow, that doesn't make the trade any better. I'm still shocked at how we didn't get JR Smith in return [​IMG]

If this was really the best offer on the table, then I have nothing left to say</div>

He reminds me of that South Park-911 Conspiracy Theory episode when Kyle was in shock and kept saying REALLY, while tilting his head.[​IMG]

15. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

<div class="quote_poster">tradebark Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">IMO Iverson is more than capable of being a good distributor

Remember this guy still averages quite a few assists per game despite not having much of a supporting cast.

It's really hard to say that Iverson is a bad PG because his team didn't win. His teammates have been HORRIBLE for years now.. And saying he's less of a distributor than.... ANDRE MILLER??? hahahah

Ohhh man

Some of you homers (or haters) need to realize that when all is said and done, Iverson will be considered one of the 50 greatest players to ever play the game.. and that all of the talk about him declining as he gets older has so far not proven true at all..

..and the Nuggets just got him for big contracts and late first round picks..

I mean the LEAST they could have done was demand JR Smith, and that would still have been a steal for Denver.</div>

Iverson isn't as good of a distributor as Andre Miller. Andre Miller has made his niche at passing the ball, just as AI has at scoring. I don't really understand why you are laughing at that. No one is saying Andre is the better player, just the better passer. Andre is a pass first point guard, rather than a shoot first point guard like AI. I don't really understand why it's so funny to think that Andre Miller puts his teammates in better position to make shots then AI does. It's not a knock on AI at all.

About the Olympics, sure he was fine for what 6-8 games? Same with all-stars, it was only 1 game and stats don't really matter in any of them. With stats being the only thing that's important to the general fanbase now, will Iverson be able to share the load throughout an 82 game season plus playoffs(next year)? I sure as hell don't know the answer to that question.

Miller is going to do wonders for the other AI and Rodney Carney(expect Carney to see extended minutes from now on). They will likely become more of a fast break team now. I really like Andre Miller's game. Joe Smith can't be any worse than Steven Hunter or Shavlik Randolph, can he? You get 2 first rounders as well. You don't have to pick in the Top 14 to get a good player, it's just a matter of seeing good talent and they must if they got Rodney Carney and Andre Iguodala, right?

Once teams realize that the other team just wants to get rid of the players, they immediately lower the offer. That's just how it is. Why pay the premium for a player when the team HAS to get rid of him. This is especially true when no deal was made, if they made this trade a week to 2 weeks ago, then it would have been a much better deal, IMO. Basically all I'm saying is that this is the best that they could get and if they waited longer, they might have only gotten 1 1st instead of 2. They had to make the deal ASAP and this just happened to be the best. I can't believe people actually thought they would get similar talent for Iverson after how long this went on. I think a lot of people just look at the names in the deal and automatically assumes that AI and Melo are going to be a championship caliber team.

I mean seriously, how is getting Andre Miller, Joe Smith, and 2 1sts worse than having Iverson sit out games? Iverson had played his last game as a Sixer, there's no doubt about it, so would you rather wait and chance getting a worse deal and continue to lose more and more games or get players in return that actually want to be there?

After saying that, I'm not sold on this trade for either team. Denver will be interesting, will Iverson dominate the ball down the stretch? Will Melo dominate the ball down the stretch? If one of them has a big night, will the other one continue to distribute? Can either of them play good enough defense? Can either of them let their teammates(role players) get involved? Neither of these players will be able to shoot themselves out of slumps anymore. If Melo is struggling he is going to have to pass it to Iverson, rather than continue to jack up shots and eventually they start falling, same vice versa. I agree with J_Ray that Andre Miller was the glue of their team. Losing him will hurt. He kept the ball moving and when needed to can score, can Iverson fit into that role? I don't know. Like someone said earlier, the 2 draft picks are just chance, trading a superstar for chance isn't very smart. Sure they could look like a genius in the future or they could look like idiots. I will say this though... Having Andre Miller as their PG as they try to grow and develop will be more beneficial for all 3 of these rookies then having AI at PG. Same with AI2 and Carney.

16. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">HOSED! Philly was absolutely HOSED in this deal. You get nothing back in this trade. Andre Miller is 30 years old, Joe Smith is a filler, and two late first rounders are a crapshoot. The 2007 draft class looks great if, and only IF, all the underclassmen declare. Even then there is guarantee any player Philly drafts will pan out.

Philly didn't get a single young player with any potential.

Philly could have done much better. The entire way they handled this trade demand was a joke.</div>

What? Please, did people really think that the Clippers would be stupid enough to give us Shaun Livingston, one of the best point guard prospect in years, for a coach killing, over-the-hill, selfish punk? This probably was the best deal on the table. Joe Smith becomes a free agent after this season, and we got out at about $20 million for Iverson for the next 3 years. Not to mention that this is going to be the deepest class in years, most of the underclassmen always declare I wouldn't worry about that.

Iverson + Carmelo = Good luck George Karl

17. Martin

Martin Back from retirement

Actually this trade is a good one for us in a rebuiling view.
    Smith's contract is up after this season.
    Webber's and Miller's contracts are up after 2 seasons.
    That is about 35 million coming off our salary cap.

18. Laker_fan

Laker_fan JBB JustBBall Member

OK, so Philly will have Cap space, but who the hell would want to sign with them? The team just got worse, and no free agent would want to play for a team that has a slim chance of making the playoffs. Not to mention that the management don't have a clue on what they are doing. Do people really think a star is going to be drafted in the 27th in the first round? At best the 76'ers will get someone who hits 15 points in scoring.

Does anybody remember that episode of the Fresh Prince of Bel Air where Will gets a job working for some stock exchange trader who lets his stuffed dog make the decisions for him? I think the 76'ers use the same process to make their decisions.

19. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

<div class="quote_poster">Laker_fan Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">OK, so Philly will have Cap space, but who the hell would want to sign with them? The team just got worse, and no free agent would want to play for a team that has a slim chance of making the playoffs. Not to mention that the management don't have a clue on what they are doing. Do people really think a star is going to be drafted in the 27th in the first round? At best the 76'ers will get someone who hits 15 points in scoring.

Does anybody remember that episode of the Fresh Prince of Bel Air where Will gets a job working for some stock exchange trader who lets his stuffed dog make the decisions for him? I think the 76'ers use the same process to make their decisions.</div>
    If good free agents only went to playoff teams then the same teams would be good every year. If you offer free agents big money there are always the money hungry players out there, or the players who want their own team.

20. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">C.K. Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">What? Please, did people really think that the Clippers would be stupid enough to give us Shaun Livingston, one of the best point guard prospect in years, for a coach killing, over-the-hill, selfish punk? This probably was the best deal on the table. Joe Smith becomes a free agent after this season, and we got out at about $20 million for Iverson for the next 3 years. Not to mention that this is going to be the deepest class in years, most of the underclassmen always declare I wouldn't worry about that.

Iverson + Carmelo = Good luck George Karl</div>

How many years does Iverson have left in this league, maybe 3 or 4 good ones? So you're going to tell me the 76ers are going to have more success than Denver in the next 3 to 4 years with the deal they just made?

Philly was HOSED in this deal.

I'm glad you brought up the Clippers this is the deal they offered for Iverson.

Mobley + Maggette + Two 2007 1st Round Picks + Zelko (filler / expiring contract)

The way Philly handled this situation should have you 76er fans IRRATE. They never gave themselves a chance to get the best deal for Iverson. They even brough in Larry Brown of all people to consult for them. Knowing Larry Brown is close friends with George Karl, do you honestly think he put Philly's best interests ahead of his friendship?

Iverson is going to Denver with a chip on his shoulder and will want to prove all his critics wrong. Just to spite Billy King and the Philly organization, he's going to gel just fine with Carmelo because he wants to prove, if Philly gave him more talent he could have won more.

I don't think Denver is good enough to win a title yet, but they have put themselves in the "one piece away" category. If they stay healthy and add a defensive/ball control PG they are going to be right in the mix with the elite teams out West.