Breaking News: Iverson Will Be Traded to Denver

Discussion in 'Philadelphia 76ers' started by Really Lost One, Dec 19, 2006.

1. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

<div class="quote_poster">Laker_fan Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">OK, so Philly will have Cap space, but who the hell would want to sign with them? The team just got worse, and no free agent would want to play for a team that has a slim chance of making the playoffs. Not to mention that the management don't have a clue on what they are doing. Do people really think a star is going to be drafted in the 27th in the first round? At best the 76'ers will get someone who hits 15 points in scoring.
    </div>

Didn't Joe Johnson sign with the Hawks? I'm sure someone would want to go to Philly. I think it'd be pretty intriguing going to a team with Iguodala, Carney, 3 draft picks and someone who will pass the ball and make his teammates better in Andre Miller.

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">How many years does Iverson have left in this league, maybe 3 or 4 good ones? So you're going to tell me the 76ers are going to have more success than Denver in the next 3 to 4 years with the deal they just made?

Philly was HOSED in this deal.

I'm glad you brought up the Clippers this is the deal they offered for Iverson.

Mobley + Maggette + Two 2007 1st Round Picks + Zelko (filler / expiring contract)

The way Philly handled this situation should have you 76er fans IRRATE. They never gave themselves a chance to get the best deal for Iverson. They even brough in Larry Brown of all people to consult for them. Knowing Larry Brown is close friends with George Karl, do you honestly think he put Philly's best interests ahead of his friendship?

Iverson is going to Denver with a chip on his shoulder and will want to prove all his critics wrong. Just to spite Billy King and the Philly organization, he's going to gel just fine with Carmelo because he wants to prove, if Philly gave him more talent he could have won more.

I don't think Denver is good enough to win a title yet, but they have put themselves in the "one piece away" category. If they stay healthy and add a defensive/ball control PG they are going to be right in the mix with the elite teams out West.</div>

Philly might not have more success in the next 3-4 years, but they will have more success in the next 6-7 years because of this deal. This is obviously a rebuilding deal. Denver is basically screwed right now salary cap wise. They have too many big contracts that they have to give up, Philadelphia did a great thing to not take a bad cap filler player. Seriously, the Nuggets now have 4 guys over 10 million dollars a year, plus Camby at 7 million. You say they are 1 piece away right now, well they won't be able to get that piece, because no one will want any of their players.

There is no way that that deal was offered or Philly are dumbasses. Why the hell would the clippers want Iverson anyway? They already got a very good nucleus. I think that was just a rumor and it never would have happened anyway. I think that rumor is similar to the rumor where the Magic "could have gotten Joe Johnson, Shawn Marion and 2 1sts for Tmac"(one was the #7 pick in the draft), where there is no way in hell that that deal gets done.

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

The local LA radio confirmed the Clippers made the above offer for Iverson, and are baffled Philly turned them down and went with the Denver deal. My theory is Larry Brown consulted the 76ers in the direction of his buddy, George Karl.

Elgin Baylor has been on the radio the last few days and said the team is very interested in Iverson, but they would not deal Livingston or Kaman to acquire. However, aside from Livingston, Kaman, and Brand everyone else was made available for the 76ers to pick and choose from.

The LA Times also touched on this deal ...

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Moreover, the Clippers were willing to trade their own first-round draft pick this season and the lottery-protected first-round pick they received in the Sam Cassell trade. Many in the front office acknowledged Corey Maggette was the centerpiece of the Clippers' final proposal, which also probably included Cuttino Mobley, Zeljko Rebraca and the draft choices.</div>

Source

The Clippers have always wanted Iverson, they've tried a few times to acquire him. You ask why?

1. He sells tickets and gives them a recognizable face to their franchise.
    2. Mike Dunleavy Sr. wants to win now and is done with Corey Maggette.
    3. Acquiring Iverson doesn't break their nucleus of Brand-Kaman-Livingston, it adds to it.

Cutino Mobley isn't really fitting in this year, and has fallen out of the starting rotation.

With Iverson, the Clippers would be instant contenders, just look at this lineup.

PG - Livingston
    SG - Iverson
    SF - Ross
    PF - Brand
    C - Kaman

Off the bench - Cassell, Tim Thomas

7 Deep is good enough for the playoffs.

3. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The Clippers have always wanted Iverson, they've tried a few times to acquire him. You ask why?

1. He sells tickets and gives them a recognizable face to their franchise.</div>

Exactly. The Clippers have always been in the Lakers shadow and bringing in Allen Iverson would give them a superstar player that not only sells tickets and memorbilia, but also gives them someone who the casual fan can recognize and cheer for. The Clippers want to create their own legacy and they thought landing Iverson would make them more than just "that other team in Los Angeles."

4. Shapecity

Just to add, you mention Philly is going to be better in 6 to 7 years. How can you even make a claim like that? So many things can happen in the next 6 or 7 years, and in a large market city like Philly, that's a very tough sell. Fans don't have the patience to wait 6 or 7 years.

In the meantime you can bet most Philly fans are going to turn into Denver Nugget fans because of the loyalty to Iverson and because their team is going to stink it up.

5. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

Does anyone else really want Ivan McFarlin to turn into a star? [​IMG]

I think that'd be cool and then Billy King's house would be egged repeatedly.

6. GatorsowntheNCAA

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Just to add, you mention Philly is going to be better in 6 to 7 years. How can you even make a claim like that? So many things can happen in the next 6 or 7 years, and in a large market city like Philly, that's a very tough sell. Fans don't have the patience to wait 6 or 7 years.

In the meantime you can bet most Philly fans are going to turn into Denver Nugget fans because of the loyalty to Iverson and because their team is going to stink it up.</div>

The same way that you make the claim that Denver will be better than the Sixers in the next 3-4 years.

Denver is not going to be able to get that one extra piece and now are going to be paying 3 bigs over 7 million a year(2 over 10 million) to not be offensive weapons. It's not just going to be trouble with Iverson and Melo, but Kmart/Nene/Camby/JR Smith will all want to get a fair share of touches too and they don't really have anyone that can oblige and give them the ball like Andre Miller was able to.

I can't wait to see what happens in close games now, does Iverson or Melo try to take over and will the other player let them?

I'm not sold that Philly will stink it up. I mean they can't be any worse than they were the last 2 weeks. Andre Miller WILL make his teammates better and will give them the ball and let them make plays. He's not going to dominate the ball. I think they still can win 20-25 and possibly even 25-30 games, which isn't totally stinking it up. They won't be playoff bound or anything, but unless they really try to tank they won't be the worst team in the NBA.

7. Shapecity

Gators you make no sense with your argument. You're telling me the 76ers are going to be better than Denver after this deal.

Then you follow it up by saying Denver won't get that one piece. How do you know?

Being in the lottery is stinking it up. And by the way if Philly doesn't stink it up, they lose their own lottery pick.

8. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">How many years does Iverson have left in this league, maybe 3 or 4 good ones? So you're going to tell me the 76ers are going to have more success than Denver in the next 3 to 4 years with the deal they just made?

Philly was HOSED in this deal.

I'm glad you brought up the Clippers this is the deal they offered for Iverson.

Mobley + Maggette + Two 2007 1st Round Picks + Zelko (filler / expiring contract)

The way Philly handled this situation should have you 76er fans IRRATE. They never gave themselves a chance to get the best deal for Iverson. They even brough in Larry Brown of all people to consult for them. Knowing Larry Brown is close friends with George Karl, do you honestly think he put Philly's best interests ahead of his friendship?

Iverson is going to Denver with a chip on his shoulder and will want to prove all his critics wrong. Just to spite Billy King and the Philly organization, he's going to gel just fine with Carmelo because he wants to prove, if Philly gave him more talent he could have won more.

I don't think Denver is good enough to win a title yet, but they have put themselves in the "one piece away" category. If they stay healthy and add a defensive/ball control PG they are going to be right in the mix with the elite teams out West.</div>

Please, if people think that we were actually going to win something within the next 3 or 4 years without trading Iverson that would be ridiculous. Everybody here saw how the team played in the games with Iverson this year...atrocious. We were in cap trouble up to our shoulders and basically Billy King tried to not turn this franchise into the New York Knicks.

Corey Maggette are Cuttino Mobley are both locked in to $8,000,000/yr. contracts for at least the next three years. With a lineup of Ollie, Maggette, Iguodala, Webber, and Dalembert, added with absolutely no cap room, I'm not sure how that would make us a better team in the future or even now.

Billy King SAVED HIS JOB with this trade. He cleared cap room, and as soon as next year I'm thinking we can take some serious looks at some free agents.

9. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

This trade isn't that bad for the Sixers. Looking at their roster, they've got 3 good young swingmen in Iguodala, Carney, Korver, and Green but none of them can make their own shots consistently. Big men are Dalembert, Webber, Hunter, and Randolph again, none of these guys can make their own shots. At PG you have Kevin Ollie, enough said. Louis Williams has nice potential but hes not a pure PG. Now you get a top 10 PG and a guy who is one of the top 5 playmakers in the league, with all of Philly's athleticism he can be a guy who can set them up and get their offense going. He fills the hole at PG and fills it well which really leaves the only position they'll need a long term player for at PF and look, they've got 3 picks in the best draft since '03, including one that will probably be a top 5 pick.

Add to that the fact that by the end of the 07-08 season Webber, Mashburn, MacCulloch, Buckner, McKie, Joe Smith, and Ollie's contracts will be off the books which, by my estimations (assuming Miller makes around 9 mil/year and Iggy's extension will be around 10 mil/year, and they'll have 4 1st round draft picks between now and then), their total salary will be at about 50 million, give or take 5 mils. Webber's giant expiring contract could be worth quite a bit as well and land Philly a disgruntled star from a franchise going into rebuilding mode.

It seems like Philly was looking more to re-build than to re-load, they don't want to just put out a team that will get knocked out of the first round of the playoffs every year, they want to get the cap situation under control and stockpile young, talented players. That's the smart way to do it IMO.

10. Shapecity

Wrong C.K. the 76ers do not get immediate cap relief by trading Iverson. This team saved $20Million for Iverson's final year, but it's going to cost this franchise far more than $20Million over the next 3 years. You won't see it on the salary cap, but the 76ers organization are going to take a financial hit by trading Iverson and getting no real value back.

Teams make most of their money from TV Revenue, the only reason the 76ers are scheduled for nationally televised games was Allen Iverson. They aren't going to get any TV exposure without him.

They're going to lose ticket sales, jersey sales, and marketing revenue without Iverson in the building.

I know you don't like Iverson, but you're hatred for him is blinding the facts on this deal.

The 76ers were going to get ample cap space with or without Iverson, once Webber's deal expires.

Landing Corey Maggette and Mobley gives your team assets. Maybe Philly decides they don't want either guy, but their contracts are easy to move and you can get back cheap young talent or picks for them.

You mentioned the 76ers can go after free agents? Like who? Have you even looked at who's available in 2008?

Here are the unrestricted free agents available ...

Bob Sura
    Brent Barry
    Bruce Bowen
    Carlos Arroyo
    Gordan Giricek
    Jason Williams
    Ricky Davis
    Theo Ratliff

11. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">C.K. Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Please, if people think that we were actually going to win something within the next 3 or 4 years without trading Iverson that would be ridiculous. Everybody here saw how the team played in the games with Iverson this year...atrocious. We were in cap trouble up to our shoulders and basically Billy King tried to not turn this franchise into the New York Knicks.

Corey Maggette are Cuttino Mobley are both locked in to $8,000,000/yr. contracts for at least the next three years. With a lineup of Ollie, Maggette, Iguodala, Webber, and Dalembert, added with absolutely no cap room, I'm not sure how that would make us a better team in the future or even now.

Billy King SAVED HIS JOB with this trade. He cleared cap room, and as soon as next year I'm thinking we can take some serious looks at some free agents.</div>

Great post, I totally agree. Mobley and Maggette won't do anything helpful for the franchise. Plus like Shape mentioned Philly HAS to suck this season because if their pick is above the top 15 it goes to the Warriors, leaving them with only some low 1st round picks.

12. Shapecity

<div class="quote_poster">Run BJM Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Great post, I totally agree. Mobley and Maggette won' do anything helpful for the franchise. Plus like Shape mentioned Philly HAS to suck this season because if their pick is above the top 15 it goes to the Warriors, leaving them with only some low 1st round picks.</div>

How can you say Mobley and Maggette won't be useful? These are two capable scorers in the league with cap friendly salaries. They have playoff experience and perform well under pressure.

Stockpiling talent opens up more options for your rebuilding plans.

13. Run BJM

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">How can you say Mobley and Maggette won't be useful? These are two capable scorers in the league with cap friendly salaries. They have playoff experience and perform well under pressure.

Stockpiling talent opens up more options for your rebuilding plans.</div>

As my post just above the one you quoted says, the Sixers don't want to just re-tool and put out a team that will get into the playoffs but get kicked out early every year. Mobely and Mags will put the Sixers in purgatory; too good to get a top 5 pick who can lift the franchise, too bad to do any damage inthe playoffs. Plus with Maggette and Mobley the Sixers could easily get a decent seed in the playoffs this year and lose their top pick to the Warriors AND they've already got Iggy, Korver, Carney, Green, and Williams at the SG/SF positions who are younger and cheaper than Mobley or Maggette.

Sure, Mobley and Maggette are movable but you can't move them in any trades to get a major impact player without throwing in the talent Philly currently has which will put them back in the situation they were in before with Iverson. Mobley and Maggette just don't solve any problems for the Sixers, King knows that the only way the franchise will get back to a contending level is to draft good, young players, not take on decent veterans who can't carry a team.

14. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Wrong C.K. the 76ers do not get immediate cap relief by trading Iverson. This team saved $20Million for Iverson's final year, but it's going to cost this franchise far more than $20Million over the next 3 years. You won't see it on the salary cap, but the 76ers organization are going to take a financial hit by trading Iverson and getting no real value back.

Teams make most of their money from TV Revenue, the only reason the 76ers are scheduled for nationally televised games was Allen Iverson. They aren't going to get any TV exposure without him.

They're going to lose ticket sales, jersey sales, and marketing revenue without Iverson in the building.

I know you don't like Iverson, but you're hatred for him is blinding the facts on this deal.

The 76ers were going to get ample cap space with or without Iverson, once Webber's deal expires.

Landing Corey Maggette and Mobley gives your team assets. Maybe Philly decides they don't want either guy, but their contracts are easy to move and you can get back cheap young talent or picks for them.

You mentioned the 76ers can go after free agents? Like who? Have you even looked at who's available in 2008?

Here are the unrestricted free agents available ...

Bob Sura
    Brent Barry
    Bruce Bowen
    Carlos Arroyo
    Gordan Giricek
    Jason Williams
    Ricky Davis
    Theo Ratliff</div>
    Cap flexibility is a very good thing to have. Even if they don't acquire anyone in 2008, they can choose to use it next year on more valuable players.

As well in trades, they can absorb a contract without sending anything in return (saving the other team a lot of luxury $$$s (depending on the team)) and probably some picks, or young players.

15. RipCity

RipCity JBB JustBBall Member

Eveyone here is saying Philly got ripped off bad, and it may appear that way now, but think about what they did here. They offloaded their star and alot of cap space, their team is so horribly bad as is that they stand no chance of getting out of the lottery. What if they land the #1 pick and Oden? Even if they don't 3 1st rounders will most likely provide some young talent.

Either way, we won't know just how good or bad of a trade this is for awhile.

16. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

Wow, some pretty good heated discussions, but the reality is that 3-4 years from now this deal will probably be even unless the Nuggets can get that 1 True PG. Andre Miller is just as old as Iverson IMO and is going downhill a bit faster due to his work ethic. But Iverson goes to a situation where the Nuggets have injury issues with Kenyon Martin and an aging Camby who's always injured. This trade doesn't really help both teams right now IMO but those 2 draft picks could be the difference in this deal. I'd rather take the draft picks and get someone like Bellenelli or someone that slips, perhaps Tiago Splitter, not to mention the cap relief they get than a huge contract and an aging star that can only be fast for so long.

Is it just me, or does anyone else believe AI can be as durable in the West going up against bigger and stronger post players on a more consistent basis? You can't tell me that the East has better and stronger post players than the west does either.

17. GatorsowntheNCAA

<div class="quote_poster">shapecity Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Gators you make no sense with your argument. You're telling me the 76ers are going to be better than Denver after this deal.
    </div>

I'm saying that we don't know who will be better in 3-4 years. Sure Denver will be better this year, but who knows, maybe they get Oden and 2 gems in the 20's and be the surprise team next year. We just don't know. Maybe AI and Melo can't coexist and it causes so many problems that no one wants Iverson, because it ruins his reputation even more. Basically the exact same thing you told me about when I said 6-7 years.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Then you follow it up by saying Denver won't get that one piece. How do you know? </div>

Do you know anyone interested in giving up a key piece for Nene? Kenyon Martin? Marcus Camby(he's more realistic)? JR Smith and his attitude problems? I don't really know what the Nuggets have to trade, they have pretty much lost any chance of upgrading their current team other than the MLE that they get every year for being over the cap.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Being in the lottery is stinking it up. And by the way if Philly doesn't stink it up, they lose their own lottery pick.</div>

Did you expect Philly to make the playoffs and advance past the first round this year anyway? I didn't.

18. miss3pointer25

miss3pointer25 JBB JustBBall Member

I think in the end...this whole AI-Carmelo thing is gonna be like Donovan McNabb and TO.

19. Answer_AI03

Answer_AI03 JBB JustBBall Member

This was an excellent trade for the sixers, because billy king finally gave this franchise a direction. he has finally committed to rebuilding instead of having a decent team every year that gets swept in the first round of the playoffs. even with iverson, this team was going nowhere. it was not built for success in the nba right now. now with cap room, 3 draft picks, and some decent young guys to build around, this could be an upper teir team in the east in a couple years. immediatly denver got the better deal, but in a couple years it could be tough to argue that philly didn't get the better deal.

20. Apollo

Apollo JBB Into The Fire

At first like alot of people, I thought to myself, "WHAT?!?!" knowing there had to be better deals that would of gave us some instant talent. But after I looked on how this trade will help the Sixers, I give kudos to Billy King.

We send Allen Iverson firstly out of the East conference all together, which I was praying would happen. Seeing him play for a team like Boston, our division rival, would make me nuts. We also see him going to a contender, which I`m really happy about. I`m not saying I`m hopping aboard the Nuggets bandwagon, but I`ll certainly be rooting for them come playoff time.

What we land is plain and simple. An underrated IMO point in Miller. If you look at most of the elite teams in the game, you see they all have that great to decent point guard. Teams like the Suns, Spurs, and Mavs. Joe Smith comes in as a filler, but probably most important of this deal, is the 3 picks. With one of the deepest drafts in the last 10 years coming up, hopefully BK can work his magic and draft what could be the start of something big. That I think down the road will show who the real winner of this trade was. Like Answer_AI03 said, Billy King has finally given this team a new direction.