BREAKING NEWS: OJ Mayo and Love getting traded

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by GMJ, Jun 26, 2008.

1. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

So its Mayo-Gayo in Memphis? Can someone make me a sig using a Mello Yello bottle with the words replaced with Mayo-Gayo?

2. L3g3nd

L3g3nd New Member

Mayo's a Beast.

Right Weezy?

3. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Voodoo Child @ Jun 27 2008, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Jun 26 2008, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Voodoo Child @ Jun 27 2008, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Chris Wallace should be banned from the league, as should Michael Heisley.

It should be illegal to make bad move after bad move, especially with the motivation of cutting costs.

First they practically just cut Gasol. Now they're practically just cutting Mike Miller (16.4 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 3.4 apg w/50% FG and 43% 3pt). What the hell has this league come to?</div>

While Love has grown on me as a prospect, the upgrade from Love to Mayo is worth Mike Miller
    </div>

You're underrating Mike Miller like crazy. O.J. Mayo alone is arguably not worth Mike Miller.

Love made so much more sense in Memphis anyway. He was the perfect four for their system.

Memphis is just hurting for money. It's their own fault too (mostly Jerry West's, but everyone should shoulder some blame). Had they not made such horrible decisions in the past, they'd have a more marketable product and wouldn't need to just throw away stars like Gasol and Miller.
    </div>

No, I'm not underrating Mike Miller. I would have traded Vince Carter straight up (ignoring the cap rules) over any of the past 3 years.

You are underrating OJ Mayo

4. tim

tim Respect JPJ

NNNM, what do we do? We have a great player in our grasp and we let him go. I like Miller and Love, but I LOVE Mayo. I am too angry to even describe right now.

5. ghoti

ghoti A PhD in Horribleness

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBeef @ Jun 27 2008, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>So its Mayo-Gayo in Memphis? Can someone make me a sig using a Mello Yello bottle with the words replaced with Mayo-Gayo?</div>

They should get Allen Ray and Sean May.

6. Денг Гордон

Денг Гордон Member

Damn McHale. If he would have just taken Love outright, and not pulled these shenanigans, I probably would have had the top 5 in the draft right in my mock, instead he sent my mock draft into a tizzy.

7. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Jun 26 2008, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Voodoo Child @ Jun 27 2008, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Jun 26 2008, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Voodoo Child @ Jun 27 2008, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Chris Wallace should be banned from the league, as should Michael Heisley.

It should be illegal to make bad move after bad move, especially with the motivation of cutting costs.

First they practically just cut Gasol. Now they're practically just cutting Mike Miller (16.4 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 3.4 apg w/50% FG and 43% 3pt). What the hell has this league come to?</div>

While Love has grown on me as a prospect, the upgrade from Love to Mayo is worth Mike Miller
    </div>

You're underrating Mike Miller like crazy. O.J. Mayo alone is arguably not worth Mike Miller.

Love made so much more sense in Memphis anyway. He was the perfect four for their system.

Memphis is just hurting for money. It's their own fault too (mostly Jerry West's, but everyone should shoulder some blame). Had they not made such horrible decisions in the past, they'd have a more marketable product and wouldn't need to just throw away stars like Gasol and Miller.
    </div>

No, I'm not underrating Mike Miller. I would have traded Vince Carter straight up (ignoring the cap rules) over any of the past 3 years.

You are underrating OJ Mayo
    </div>

He's a good deal undersized, he's not as athletic as people think, he averages more turnovers than assists, just floats around the perimeter, and he's always been the go-to-guy on offense, which he won't be in Memphis. He wasn't good enough to be a top two pick in a really down year for the draft, and I just don't think he's worth Mike Miller straight up, much less throwing Kevin Love into the equation. Is that that crazy of an opinion?

8. cpawfan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Voodoo Child @ Jun 27 2008, 01:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>He's a good deal undersized, he's not as athletic as people think, he averages more turnovers than assists, just floats around the perimeter, and he's always been the go-to-guy on offense, which he won't be in Memphis. He wasn't good enough to be a top two pick in a really down year for the draft, and I just don't think he's worth Mike Miller straight up, much less throwing Kevin Love into the equation. Is that that crazy of an opinion?</div>

Crazy and based on incorrect facts.

He is more athletic than you are giving him credit for and he has been toying with the competition since 7th grade. Throughout out HS and AAU ball, he has had talented teammates and he never looked to take away the spotlight from them.

As far as in Memphis, Gay as good as he is, isn't a better offensive player than Mayo

9. NattaNerNuttaMan

NattaNerNuttaMan NattaNerNutta like Spike

Military
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tim @ Jun 27 2008, 12:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>NNNM, what do we do? We have a great player in our grasp and we let him go. I like Miller and Love, but I LOVE Mayo. I am too angry to even describe right now.</div>

Well, tim. After the initial shock (and following curse ladden rants) wore off...I settled down and looked into the deal. keep in mind I'm still pissed about losing Mayo, but I'm trying to look at the brights side

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Minnesota trades: Mayo
    Jaric (apx 7mil, 3 yrs lft)
    Walker (exp 9mil)

Memphis trades: Love
    Miller (9mil, 2 yrs lft)
    Collins (exp 6mil)
    Cardinal (apx 6mil, 2 yrs lft)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

So in hindsight we picked up Love and Miller, picked up an exp contract that is just 3mil less than Walker's. And although we picked up Cardinal's 6mil contract, we got rid of Jaric's 7mil contract that actually goes one year past Cardinal's.

Sure I'm still heated over trading Mayo, but the trade isn't that bad.

I'm just confused over trading what would've turned out to be our PG (Chalmers) to Miami and not getting one of Memphis' PGs in return.

10. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    I might have even appreciated not taking back Collins' contract if in it's place we could've gotten Conley instead to play point

11. cpawfan

NNNM, you are missing Buckner in the calculations

12. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    So Minnesota added Buckner, too....this makes things worse for Minny...he was a 4mil exp contract....DAMN IT!!! Now we really should've gotten a PG back from Memphis!!!

13. JUNIOR MINT

JUNIOR MINT 2010?

Technician
    lol when I heard this trade Nuttaman and that other Minny fan came to my mind, i know ya' mad as shit right now man, [​IMG]...McHale is a dumbass, he might seriously be worse than Isiah

14. tim

tim Respect JPJ

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JUNIOR MINT @ Jun 27 2008, 12:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>lol when I heard this trade Nuttaman and that other Minny fan came to my mind, i know ya' mad as shit right now man, [​IMG]...McHale is a dumbass, he might seriously be worse than Isiah</div>
    Damn right I'm mad. I go by tim though. [​IMG]

I can't get past the fact that we gave up Mayo. That's what I'm most angry about. This McHale proclaimed god of a player had better turn out damn good, because I know Mayo won't turn out bad.

15. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JUNIOR MINT @ Jun 27 2008, 01:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>lol when I heard this trade Nuttaman and that other Minny fan came to my mind, i know ya' mad as shit right now man, [​IMG]...McHale is a dumbass, he might seriously be worse than Isiah</div>

I know, it pains me to the bone....ugh. but the deal really isn't that bad when you read into it, I just wish we coulda gotten back one of their PG's in the deal.

BTW....what are you gonna stick with as "G"'s nickname? "Rooster" or "Italian Stallion"? Stallion seems played out, but sounds better

16. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Jun 26 2008, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Run BJM @ Jun 27 2008, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I fuggin knew McHale wanted Love all along you dumb bastards!

Memphis got ROBBED.</div>

How did Memphis get robbed?
    </div>

My thinking is you have two stud freshman. One is a big man who averaged a double double and had every skill you could ever want in a PF. Inside game, outside game, passing, rebounding, intelligence, etc. Defense, size, and athleticism were the big knock on him but he measured out as being probably the most athletic big man outside of Michael Beasley and he didn't come up too short either. Mayo also did great as a freshman, again has every skill you could ask for from a guy at his position but he didn't dominate when, IMO, he should have. He was passive and far too willing to pass when he should have been taking over. Its good that hes unselfish but it doesn't give me confidence in him as a franchise player. I believe neither are franchise players, they're both nice complimentary guys. Team guys who make good plays to help their teams win. But in the NBA you need that go-to guy who can create scoring opportunities for himself and others and absolutely dominate games down the stretch (i.e. Duncan, Kobe, LeBron, Wade, etc.) Mayo perhaps has the potential but he settles for outside jumpers far too much and its just flat out not in his nature. I believe they'll both be very nice secondary type guys- guys who are good all around players but aren't "the guy" on any team of relevance. I'd rank them about the same as prospects but in my book you never trade big for small unless the difference in talent is huge. And its not here. Good guards are a dime a dozen, you don't pass on good big men when you have control of them.

Lets not forget actual fit for the Grizzlies either. The Grizz have Conley, Lowry, Crittenton, now Donte Greene and had Miller. How is OJ Mayo a pressing need there at all? Their only big man I can even think of off the top of my head is Darko Milicic and I guess Warrick if he counts as a PF. They have a HUGE need at PF and Love fits in perfectly next to Rudy Gay. Looking at the rest of the players in the trade, they give far and away the best player in the trade while everything else is overpaid garbage. They improve their cap situation but only marginally as they trade one expiring contract for a somewhat smaller one and trade Brian Cardinal's 2 year deal for Jaric's 3 year deal. In short, Memphis traded a nice young PF for a nice young combo guard, AND threw in far and away the best player in the deal and then swapped a couple shitty contracts.

17. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Run BJM @ Jun 27 2008, 01:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Jun 26 2008, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Run BJM @ Jun 27 2008, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I fuggin knew McHale wanted Love all along you dumb bastards!

</div>

My thinking is you have two stud freshman. One is a big man who averaged a double double and had every skill you could ever want in a PF. Inside game, outside game, passing, rebounding, intelligence, etc. Defense, size, and athleticism were the big knock on him but he measured out as being probably the most athletic big man outside of Michael Beasley and he didn't come up too short either. Mayo also did great as a freshman, again has every skill you could ask for from a guy at his position but he didn't dominate when, IMO, he should have. He was passive and far too willing to pass when he should have been taking over. Its good that hes unselfish but it doesn't give me confidence in him as a franchise player. I believe neither are franchise players, they're both nice complimentary guys. Team guys who make good plays to help their teams win. But in the NBA you need that go-to guy who can create scoring opportunities for himself and others and absolutely dominate games down the stretch (i.e. Duncan, Kobe, LeBron, Wade, etc.) Mayo perhaps has the potential but he settles for outside jumpers far too much and its just flat out not in his nature. I believe they'll both be very nice secondary type guys- guys who are good all around players but aren't "the guy" on any team of relevance. I'd rank them about the same as prospects but in my book you never trade big for small unless the difference in talent is huge. And its not here. Good guards are a dime a dozen, you don't pass on good big men when you have control of them.

Lets not forget actual fit for the Grizzlies either. The Grizz have Conley, Lowry, Crittenton, now Donte Greene and had Miller. How is OJ Mayo a pressing need there at all? Their only big man I can even think of off the top of my head is Darko Milicic and I guess Warrick if he counts as a PF. They have a HUGE need at PF and Love fits in perfectly next to Rudy Gay. Looking at the rest of the players in the trade, they give far and away the best player in the trade while everything else is overpaid garbage. They improve their cap situation but only marginally as they trade one expiring contract for a somewhat smaller one and trade Brian Cardinal's 2 year deal for Jaric's 3 year deal. In short, Memphis traded a nice young PF for a nice young combo guard, AND threw in far and away the best player in the deal and then swapped a couple shitty contracts.
    </div>

My fear is that Memphis is now working a deal with Miami, to move Mayo and a young point guard (Conley) for Beasley. That would benifit both teams....and in turn piss off all Wolves fans who agreed with the notion that the only way we should've traded Mayo was for Beasley!!!

18. cpawfan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Run BJM @ Jun 27 2008, 01:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Jun 26 2008, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Run BJM @ Jun 27 2008, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I fuggin knew McHale wanted Love all along you dumb bastards!

</div>

</div>

I can't agree with analysis that puts Love and Mayo on the same tier.

Mayo definitely has it in him to be a dominating scorer, but he has been coasting since 7th grade. Even at USC, he was going through the motions because his main goal was to not get hurt.

19. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

I think Greene was traded to Portland....atleast thats what I read on one of the stories at the top of the homepage

20. Universe

Universe Hall of Fame

Poor Collins.