BREAKING NEWS: OJ Mayo and Love getting traded

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by GMJ, Jun 26, 2008.

1. JUNIOR MINT

JUNIOR MINT 2010?

Technician
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NattaNerNuttaMan @ Jun 27 2008, 01:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JUNIOR MINT @ Jun 27 2008, 01:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>lol when I heard this trade Nuttaman and that other Minny fan came to my mind, i know ya' mad as shit right now man, [​IMG]...McHale is a dumbass, he might seriously be worse than Isiah</div>

I know, it pains me to the bone....ugh. but the deal really isn't that bad when you read into it, I just wish we coulda gotten back one of their PG's in the deal.

BTW....what are you gonna stick with as "G"'s nickname? "Rooster" or "Italian Stallion"? Stallion seems played out, but sounds better
    </div>

Yeah, it isn't so bad, would've been if you could've got Kyle Lowery in return though...and I think I'm just going to call him Rooster for now, lol

2. NattaNerNuttaMan

NattaNerNuttaMan NattaNerNutta like Spike

Military
    Roooooster, Rooooster....lol...has a nice ring to it after all....lol

WHat do you think about Memphis possibly trying to work out something with Miami for Beasley? Mayo, Lowry and a future pick? Miami could use them since Minnesota has Miami's 1st Rounder next year and next two additional 2nd rounders (from the Chalmer's trade)

3. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

Is that pick lottery protected? If its not, you guys should just "accidently" hurt Wade and collect your 25% chance at Ricky Rubio....

4. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Jun 27 2008, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I can't agree with analysis that puts Love and Mayo on the same tier.

Mayo definitely has it in him to be a dominating scorer, but he has been coasting since 7th grade. Even at USC, he was going through the motions because his main goal was to not get hurt.</div>
    It depends on your opinion of Love then I suppose. I agree with you that Mayo could potentially be a dominating scorer. But at USC he didn't force his way to the rim when his team needed a bucket. He didn't take the ball and tell everyone to GTFO of the way so he could carry the team. He consistently played below what he could have been IMO. I love his unselfishness, but I want someone who wants the last shot. I want someone who knows when his team needs him to be unselfish and when his team needs him to score and then goes and does it. Even if Mayo could, he's still a 6'3-6'4 combo guard. I'd liken him to a shorter Joe Johnson in his prime but it sounds like many here think he'll be better than that. Do you think he'll be better than that? And where do you tihnk Love will be in his prime? I'd say Love in his prime is about 16-18 ppg and 9-10 rpg, a second or third tier PF in the league. Again, not a guy you build around but a solid player to compliment a franchise guy and a guy who does more than what appears on the stat sheet.

So if you're like me and you think OJ Mayo will be roughly equivalent to a Joe Johnson. And you think Kevin Love is roughly equivalent to lets say David West of 07-08 would you think that a trade of West + Mike Miller and a couple crappy contracts for Joe Johnson and roughly equivalent crappy contracts is a good one? I dunno, maybe you're not like me and you think OJ Mayo will be better than that and/or Love will be worse than that. Mind you this isn't even taking into account team needs.

5. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBeef @ Jun 27 2008, 02:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Is that pick lottery protected? If its not, you guys should just "accidently" hurt Wade and collect your 25% chance at Ricky Rubio....</div>

it's not lottery protected, but close...top 10 protected. Not to mention that if we stay within the top 10 with our pick it doesn't go to the Clippers! Add Boston's pick and we have 3 first rounders with two possible top 10 picks. Now add in the additional Miami 2nd rounder and Minnesota has 5 picks next year.....wooo hooo!!!

6. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

Now all you need is a GM to spend them wisely and you will be on your way back to prominence....

7. cpawfan

cpawfan Monsters do exist

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Run BJM @ Jun 27 2008, 02:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Jun 27 2008, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I can't agree with analysis that puts Love and Mayo on the same tier.

Mayo definitely has it in him to be a dominating scorer, but he has been coasting since 7th grade. Even at USC, he was going through the motions because his main goal was to not get hurt.</div>
    It depends on your opinion of Love then I suppose. I agree with you that Mayo could potentially be a dominating scorer. But at USC he didn't force his way to the rim when his team needed a bucket. He didn't take the ball and tell everyone to GTFO of the way so he could carry the team. He consistently played below what he could have been IMO. I love his unselfishness, but I want someone who wants the last shot. I want someone who knows when his team needs him to be unselfish and when his team needs him to score and then goes and does it. Even if Mayo could, he's still a 6'3-6'4 combo guard. I'd liken him to a shorter Joe Johnson in his prime but it sounds like many here think he'll be better than that. Do you think he'll be better than that? And where do you tihnk Love will be in his prime? I'd say Love in his prime is about 16-18 ppg and 9-10 rpg, a second or third tier PF in the league. Again, not a guy you build around but a solid player to compliment a franchise guy and a guy who does more than what appears on the stat sheet.

So if you're like me and you think OJ Mayo will be roughly equivalent to a Joe Johnson. And you think Kevin Love is roughly equivalent to lets say David West of 07-08 would you think that a trade of West + Mike Miller and a couple crappy contracts for Joe Johnson and roughly equivalent crappy contracts is a good one? I dunno, maybe you're not like me and you think OJ Mayo will be better than that and/or Love will be worse than that. Mind you this isn't even taking into account team needs.
    </div>

1) I believe you underrate Joe Johnson - piss poor coaching and management has held him back

2) OJ was coasting at USC. I take nothing from his performance there. He had absolutely nothing to prove for his year in purgatory

3) West looks better than he really is because he plays with Chris Paul.

4) I don't see Love ever being in the discussion for the All Star game

So again, I can't agree with your comparisons nor putting them on the same tier

8. JUNIOR MINT

JUNIOR MINT 2010?

Technician
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NattaNerNuttaMan @ Jun 27 2008, 02:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Roooooster, Rooooster....lol...has a nice ring to it after all....lol

WHat do you think about Memphis possibly trying to work out something with Miami for Beasley? Mayo, Lowry and a future pick? Miami could use them since Minnesota has Miami's 1st Rounder next year and next two additional 2nd rounders (from the Chalmer's trade)</div>

I don't know how it'll work out for Memphis, would they put him at PF? (Beasley) he's really only 6'7 1/2 they said, or would they put Gay at SG and Beasley at SF? I duno how it'll work out, when I think their both the kind of players that need the ball on offense, same with them keeping Mayo, I think Mayo needs the ball on offense also, really don't get what Memphis is doing, they need low post, would have been better if they traded one of them for a young low post player, thats an up and coming player, but the way their roster is sorted, their reminding me of the Bulls, all these guards and sf's, but garbage and no low post presence (no disrespect in anyway to bulls fans)

9. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBeef @ Jun 27 2008, 01:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I think Greene was traded to Portland....atleast thats what I read on one of the stories at the top of the homepage</div>

I think I saw Rockets. Could be wrong, though.

10. cpawfan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>After Arthur landed with the Rockets, he was later sent to Memphis for the rights to Syracuse freshman Donte Green, the 28th overall pick, and a future second-round pick.</div>

Found that in ESPN's recap

So Memphis got their PF

11. JUNIOR MINT

JUNIOR MINT 2010?

Technician
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pegs @ Jun 27 2008, 02:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBeef @ Jun 27 2008, 01:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I think Greene was traded to Portland....atleast thats what I read on one of the stories at the top of the homepage</div>

</div>

think it was Batum to Portland, Greene to Houston, and Memphis got Arthur...but I could be wrong also

12. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    altough we got back Love and Miller....I do still get the feeling that trading mayo was a MAJOR mistake...I think he was something special....damn McHale

13. cpawfan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JUNIOR MINT @ Jun 27 2008, 02:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pegs @ Jun 27 2008, 02:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBeef @ Jun 27 2008, 01:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I think Greene was traded to Portland....atleast thats what I read on one of the stories at the top of the homepage</div>

</div>

think it was Batum to Portland, Greene to Memphis, and don't know who Rockets got back, but I could be wrong also
    </div>

Rockets got Dorsey, Greene and a future second round pick

Portland got Batum

Memphis got Arthur

14. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    All I know is that Memphis is going to be more fun to play with on NBA 2K9 than my T-Wolves are... [​IMG]

15. JUNIOR MINT

JUNIOR MINT 2010?

Technician
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NattaNerNuttaMan @ Jun 27 2008, 02:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>altough we got back Love and Miller....I do still get the feeling that trading mayo was a MAJOR mistake...I think he was something special....damn McHale</div>

Yeah man, with Mayo they had a pure scorer who can score from outside, or slash to the inside, and he could have averaged like 5 assist, could have been something like what Marbury & Garnett were...could have been something special...[​IMG] lol

16. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    So, Portland managed to walk out with Bayless and Batum?!?!? Damn!!! that's niiiiiiice

17. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Jun 27 2008, 02:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JUNIOR MINT @ Jun 27 2008, 02:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pegs @ Jun 27 2008, 02:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBeef @ Jun 27 2008, 01:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I think Greene was traded to Portland....atleast thats what I read on one of the stories at the top of the homepage</div>

</div>

think it was Batum to Portland, Greene to Memphis, and don't know who Rockets got back, but I could be wrong also
    </div>

Rockets got Dorsey, Greene and a future second round pick

Portland got Batum

Memphis got Arthur
    </div>

I like Greene much better in Houston than in Memphis. Still, not the ideal team for him...

18. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JUNIOR MINT @ Jun 27 2008, 02:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NattaNerNuttaMan @ Jun 27 2008, 02:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>altough we got back Love and Miller....I do still get the feeling that trading mayo was a MAJOR mistake...I think he was something special....damn McHale</div>

Yeah man, with Mayo they had a pure scorer who can score from outside, or slash to the inside, and he could have averaged like 5 assist, could have been something like what Marbury & Garnett were...could have been something special...[​IMG] lol
    </div>

Hey, hey....HEY!!! that was the makings of something special (KG & Marbury) except Marbury was jealous of the limelight and money KG was making.

Big Al already proven by taking less money than he could've gotten elsewhere that he wouldn't have minded Mayo taking the spotlight....it would've been different

19. tim

tim Respect JPJ

Also, I don't think Mayo would have minded if Al took the spotlight.

After calming down a bit though, I do like Love and Miller. Our lineup looks very solid after the deal is put in. I'm just concerned how long Miller can be a 15+ppg scorer in the league.

20. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    Miller will be a nice compliment to Big Al inside and Foye slashing, he can keep up the 16-18ppg game scoring in Minnesota's offense. Add in Love's ability to pass and find open and cutting men...and this could really work out well. And we did manage to dump off jaric's contract of 7+mil over the next three years for Cardinal's 6mil over the next 2 [​IMG]