BREAKING NEWS: OJ Mayo and Love getting traded

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by GMJ, Jun 26, 2008.

1. NTC

NTC Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (o.iatlhawksfan @ Jun 26 2008, 11:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>They also threw away Brain Cardnal contract</div>

Which made the deal all the worth while.

2. NattaNerNuttaMan

NattaNerNuttaMan NattaNerNutta like Spike

Military
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NTC @ Jun 27 2008, 04:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (o.iatlhawksfan @ Jun 26 2008, 11:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>They also threw away Brain Cardnal contract</div>

Which made the deal all the worth while.
    </div>

but in dropping cardinal's 6mil a year for 2 year deal, picked up Jaric's 7+mil a year for 3 years....ugh!!!

3. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Well-Known Member

It sucks that Mayo is gone IMO, but the salary dump you were able to make was impressive. Jaric's 21 mil, Buckner's 12 Mil and replacing Walker's 9 mil with Mike Miller. Now you got Al Jeff, Love and Miller in the front court with Collins and his expiring 6.2 mill and Cardinal and his 13 mil contract as back ups up front as well as Corey Brewer as you swing back up to Miller and McCants. Not bad for swapping picks and who knows Love may be have enough post moves to be effective in the NBA. He's apprantly dropped 15 pounds as well to get in better shape too.

4. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    Yeah although it stings to loose a potential all-star player...Mayo was what I refer to as a "Sexy pick", someone who can be a recognizable face for a team and will sell tickets. Minnesota needed that as much as the scoring he will provide. but the longer I have to think about things the more I can agree with the deal. Only problem I have is even with all the cap room they'll have in two years, will anyone want to sign with a team that was notorious for bad signing and not being able to build a (consistent) team around KG? What good id all that cap room if no one will sign except overpaid roleplayers?

Mayo would've gave us the constent press and along with Big Al and his 20-10....sounded like a good draw for a free-agent down the road.

Who will be out there as a free-agent in 2 years that could benifit from Love and Big Al. I like the tought of Mayo and Big Al heading a push to bring Bosh....hmmmm...now that woulda been nice

PG-Mayo
    SG-Foye
    SF-Brewer
    PF-Big Al
    C-Bosh
    ----------------------------

Now maybe in a couple years we can target Wade...hmmmm

PG-Foye
    SG-Wade
    SF-Miller
    PF-Love
    C-Big Al

yeah.....that sounds even better...maybe they do know what their doing afterall

5. Celtic Fan

Celtic Fan Well-Known Member

I also realised while driving in to work that I forgot Gomes... how stupid of me. great guy to have.

I also wondered about OJ fitting the team as both Simmons and Ford agreed that he wasn't the right fit for this team. Usually those two agree on nothing so that's gotta be a bit concerning (or in this case reaffirming)

I think if the team is not at least competing for a playoff spot within the next 2 years McHale has to go so they can attract some of the big FA's with their cap space they've set themselves up to have.

6. NattaNerNuttaMan

Military
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Celtic Fan @ Jun 27 2008, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I also realised while driving in to work that I forgot Gomes... how stupid of me. great guy to have.

I also wondered about OJ fitting the team as both Simmons and Ford agreed that he wasn't the right fit for this team. Usually those two agree on nothing so that's gotta be a bit concerning (or in this case reaffirming)

I think if the team is not at least competing for a playoff spot within the next 2 years McHale has to go so they can attract some of the big FA's with their cap space they've set themselves up to have.</div>

Not to mention the ability to trade for good players next year with the potential 6 picks they might have next year (three 1st rnd & three 2nd rnd)!!!

7. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

This is actually a very good trade for Minnesota.

For one, they get an elite shooter in Mike Miller. He’s also pretty versatile (he can play 1-3) and can create off the dribble. His prowess from the outside and his ability to create is only going to make Al Jefferson better. Kevin Love is also no slouch either. I know his ceiling is considered limited, but he’s way too skilled and hardworking to be a complete bust. Love will force defenders to step outside while Big Al can operate in the low post. Love’s high IQ should also compliment this team well. I think the lack of athleticism thing is way overblown. He’s more athletic than he’s given credit for. Besides, wasn’t Jefferson criticized for his lack of athleticism back in the 04 Draft?

I personally don’t know what the big deal is on Mayo. I think he’ll be good, but he’s far from being a guaranteed star like Rose or Beasley. What exactly does he add on the Timberwolves? They have Randy Foye, a combo-guard (which is a synonym for tweener these days) and Rashad McCants who are all undersized scoring guards like Mayo. I don’t exactly see how Mayo would seamlessly fit onto this ball club.

Let’s not forget that Marko Jaric’s contract is also shed in this deal. With this trade I can easily see the T’Wolves making a 10+ game improvement over last season’s record.