Politics Brittney Griner

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Rastapopoulos, Mar 16, 2022.

1. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

You should take your own advice. It takes money to make money and there's no money to pay the players extra.

Also, I think an argument could be made to increase salaries if the WNBA didn't have the best players in the world. If it was a question of attracting talent, you might be able to make a case to increase salaries. For example, the MLS doesn't have the best soccer players in the world. Not by a long shot. They're not even probably in the top... what..... 4 or 5 soccer leagues? So they need to throw more money at talented players to get them to come to their league. But I don't think that's the case with women's hoops.

They have really good players. There just needs to be a demand for more WNBA action from the public at large.

2. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Yes I did go see Ghostbusters: Answer the Call in theaters. My kids loved it, like they love the rest of the Ghostbusters movies.

The discussion isn't about basic economics. If it were the WNBA would have never started in the first place.

3. Phatguysrule

He wouldn't even notice it. So instead of getting a pretax paycheck of $1,694,857.23 he would get $1,502,549.54. And his payment could probably be counted as a tax deductible donation if it were done right. It might not cost him anything after taxes.

4. Phatguysrule

It was your suggestion...

5. twobullz

twobullz Well-Known Member

How about this. Hey CJ Elleby, we are going to deduct $150000 from your salary this year to give it to one of the ladies in the WNBA. You are good with that right. What do you think CJ and his agents response will be.

6. Phatguysrule

I don't think you're following what the term "It takes money to make money" means. It means you have to invest in something before it becomes profitable.

If we attracted talent from all over the world we'd be able to have more teams. We could expand the market outside the US easier. Bigger pie.

7. twobullz

The league has been around for 26 years. how many more before it becomes profitable? If it hasn't after 26 years, not likely going to.

8. Phatguysrule

That could also be counted as a tax deductible donation. Or maybe a business expense. Might not cost him anything. It depends how it's structured.

*Edit*
    CJ's paycheck would go from $57,692.3077 every other week to $51,923.0769.

His weekly paycheck is what WNBA players with less than 2 years get per year.

9. Phatguysrule

And they're just girls anyway, so fuck 'em, right?

10. twobullz

Yeah I am betting a guy who might not get another NBA contract is not going to be high on donating 10% no matter how you spin it. It is the the NBA's job to subsidize a league that has been around for over a quarter of a century. They either need to increase their revenue or deal with the fact that this is what the salaries are. They all know it when the sign their contract what they will be making. They get to make that choice.

11. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

Shit, why not double it then.

Yeah, and multiply that discussion by 400 NBA players and their agents.

12. twobullz

Has nothing to do with them being "girls", has to do with the revenue of their league. You are trying to make it out that just because they are women, not girls, they should get extra.

13. Phatguysrule

Sure, you could have it weighted so guys like CJ don't pay as much, if anything. That's the point. There is so much money on the NBA's side that they could shift the numbers around and come up with $150 million per year for the WNBA players to make a salary that wouldn't have them taking risks to capitalize on their talents while their body is healthy enough to do so.

And the NBA wouldn't even notice it. Have it come out of the profit share, or straight off the top of the ESPN contract. Whatever.

14. twobullz

Players in most other sports have to " take risks to capitalize on their talents while their body's are healthy enough to" and play all over the world, but just because the NBA is so successful the WNBA players should not have to do what other athletes have to do to survive and play the game they love?

15. Phatguysrule

It would have to happen in the CBA. No need to double it.
    And I'm not saying it's going to happen, I'm saying it's a shame that it doesn't. It could be done without anybody getting hurt financially.

The refusal for some of you to even consider something like this is also a shame.

16. EL PRESIDENTE

Yeah, we should feel sorry for professional basketball players that make more money than us having to be subsidized by decamillionaires so they can all earn 7 figure salaries.

17. Phatguysrule

Yeah. We should prevent people from being put at risk every chance we get. Nobody has to lose in my proposal and women everywhere would benefit.

I don't subscribe to the "their life sucks, so yours should too" line of reasoning.

18. EL PRESIDENTE

So if we subsidize the WNBA players, then you would be for banning them from participating in any other professional basketball league?

Maybe we should ban them from international travel, for their own safety too?

19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I don't think that's really fair....I considered what you posted and just simply don't agree with you. Nothing shameful about it..I voiced why I feel that way and disagree because it's a failed model pretty much trying to crack the market...not unlike ping pong or volleyball or many sports...it's not getting an audience. It very well may someday but it's not a financial priority...personally I'd love to see more academic scholarships and fewer sports scholarships...it's entertainment but not anything like being a doctor or any other profession where equal pay should be a given..the profits don't leave that kind of money in the WNBA..hopefully one day they will have a brand that large audiences want to watch. I also never understood the draw of Nascar or Golf....sure is popular but man I'd rather watch paint dry than either of those sports.

20. Phatguysrule

I didn't say we should feel sorry about anything. We should feel ashamed that American women in their positions are forced to make those decisions.

It's shameful in the wealthiest country in the history of the world. No doubt about it.