Brooks a month late to the Kakko party

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by kreidertime, Jun 13, 2022.

1. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

You fucking imbeciles sucked off the veterans all year and didn’t grasp what we were telling you when we said the coach should be playing Kakko and Lafreniere a ton. You still don’t get it because when Panarin was useless we got butt fucked because the kids weren’t ready

2. kreidertime

31 I tried to tell you all year but you still were fucking stupid.

3. Greyvtrayn

Greyvtrayn Well-Known Member

Says the guy who would throw $49m/7 yr contract to Kakko and give up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd to do it....
    For the record, I agreed with you for the most part on the importance of developing Laf and Kakko. However, I looked at it more from a perspective of year(s) down the road when the high priced veterans skills begin to diminish, the young guy will need to be ready to step up when they are still affordable from a cap standpoint.
    You have to admit, as a Rangers fan, if any other team throws a $49m/7yr offer sheet at Kakko the Rangers would be much better off letting him go.

4. NYR31

NYR31 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The way Lafreniere was managed this postseason was frustrating. Coming out of Gm 1 with TB he was playing well with 4 assists in his most recent 3 games when he was playing about 12ish minutes a night. Instead of rewarding him, Gallant actually cut his ice time to less than 11 minutes in Gm 2 and did not have a point the rest of the series after Gm 1. To then play him over 17 minutes in Gm 6 it felt like a hail mary, desperate move expecting the kid that he's fucked over all season to suddenly be ready for a major role in an elimination game.

5. NYR Fan

NYR Fan Well-Known Member

You are absolutely missing the point. You are making it about whether or not Kakko will be a good/great player. The point is that doesn't matter here. Paying Kakko $7M per season at this point when he has done nothing is a HUGE overpay, and kills your cap. You can sign him for 1/2 that amount and he'd jump. That is terrible cap management and unnecessary to get the player.

And 31 I agree with you on the usage of Lafreniere and Kakko in the playoffs. I didn't mind it in the regular season, because at times they both got top 6 time, and they were gaining experience and learning to play at both ends of the ice. In the playoffs though, especially as they went on, they both had gained a lot of experience, and quite frankly the kid line was their best line at times, and yet Gallant still didn't give them big minutes.

I really don't care about PP1 time, and think you guys are way overstating the importance of that - especially considering our PP was the only way we scored - but at even strength they were way underused in the playoffs, agree 100%. And I hated the scratch of Kakko in game 6.

And BTW - without scoring a point, Lafreniere played really well in game 6 and drew the game tying PP, which to me made Gallant look worse, and made me think he should have been playing more every game. It is also why I think Lafreniere is a top 6 big minute fixture next season.

With that said, Kakko has a lot to prove still, and needs to show he can stay healthy. Right now Lafreniere looks like a much better player, and I truly hope Kakko means his words, and he takes it as a challenge and motivation.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  6. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

Imagine if they drafted Zegras or Seider

7. strudwickisthebest

strudwickisthebest Well-Known Member

I think Kakko will be fine next year. Gallant did they right thing by scratching him in game 6 because he was suckin horse dick after G2 and was good 5/20 games. He’s not the reason they lost. The team couldn’t score 5-5- and TB stepped up physically and dominated the forecheck

8. kreidertime

If Strome could have played, scratching Kakko is the coaches decision. I'm sure he had a good reason for it. Not playing Lafreniere and Kakko 18+ minutes a game and on the first PP unit all year is another story. It's moronic. The franchise finally gets some lottery luck and they develop those players like they were role players taken in the 4th round.

9. NYR31

NYR31 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yup. Though Zegras would be no different than Lafreniere and Kakko and be getting 13 minutes with us. Seider in our 2nd D pair would be filthy.

10. NYR Fan

NYR Fan Well-Known Member

Yes, but Zegras' talent would shine through, just like Lafreniere's has. There is a big difference watching Lafreniere and Kakko, despite us lumping them together. That is what concerns me with Kakko. Maybe we can all agree they haven't been handled the best, but even still Lafreniere looks different level. That is why I think a good % is on Kakko as well, and he needs to look in the mirror to get better.

Respectfully, Lafreniere's growth loses some of the Kakko argument for you I think. Two kids handled the same way, one looks like a stud now/soon, the other looks lost (injuries play a role as well). While we agree they should have been given more time in the playoffs, I don't care about PP1 as I wrote, the fact remains Lafreniere looks much better. That cannot be overlooked, and why Kakko's issues are more than just how two coaches have handled him.

11. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Kakko needs to stay healthy. You can't have a 21 year old miss half the season and think that doesn't matter.

NYR Fan likes this.
  12. kreidertime

When he was healthy he still didn't play any first PP time other than one time or decent minutes. One time I saw him on the first PP unit was when Panarin was out and he scored on the PP and had 2 goals that game. However, the Rangers continued to be the only organization in hockey history to draft two players first and second overall and act like they are role players with their development. Stupid on a legendary level.

13. BigDaddyAl1973

BigDaddyAl1973 Well-Known Member

Accountant
    How many other teams drafted 2 and 1...and of those teams...how many actually had talent on the teams before the draft..

Also..how many of those teams drafted two of the same position..kakko isn't a right handed right wing

14. PorterPanzer

PorterPanzer Active Member

Come on now Al. Can't you see that Kappo is the new coming? I agree with you, a #1 overall usually plays right away because he is on a shitty team with no stars. I don't think Kakko is going anywhere with the Rangers owning his rights, he'll get his 2 year $2 mil and hopefully hit the weights.

NYR Fan likes this.
  15. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

He's not going to make $2m. At least 3.5 despite his injury/production issues, just based on where he was drafted. Most guys drafted at #2 would be in the 6-8m range in this next deal so i guess in some ways it's a bargain but he needs to get going next year. I wouldn't be surprised if he's dealt in a package for C help.