Exclusive Building a detached deck

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by PtldPlatypus, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I was mostly bent about being asked to move a shed that was just over the top of the good neighbor fence which was 6'.
    I would complain or certainly call the county if he had done the same. In fact where I live now I can people sheds, tiny houses, tampolines, swing sets. Non of it bothers me.
    The inspector was an ass on a power trip, no different than any other government employee that like their power.

You asked so let me ask you. Would you agree with getting approval at a cost to paint your house, even if it was a neutral color? How about cutting down a tree that was damaging your house, would you like to pay a fee for an approval to do so on your own property?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  2. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

you could use a longer metal bracket on one side of the post and braces that overlaps both, but you'd need to do it where the brace meets the beam too. But maybe, at this point, the most clean and attractive solution would be a PT 2X4 on the outside or inside of the posts/braces/beams that parallels the brace but completely overlaps the post and roof beam (basically make a 2-piece, 5" brace). You can cut a bevel on the lower end next to the post so it looks more attractive. And leave it a quarter inch shy of the outside of the post to make it look even better

that would mitigate some of the deflection you will get in the wind. Keep in mind that the weight of your finished roof (including beams and rafters) will be substantial. That's inevitable. So, when the wind moves that roof, and it will, that momentum will transfer to those braces. Don't panic at some movement, it can't be avoided. You just want to mitigate it as much as you can without impacting the aesthetic nature of your structure. And, to your credit it has some nice aesthetics right now

PtldPlatypus and SlyPokerDog like this.
  3. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

wizenheimer likes this.
  4. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Excellent--thank you. That makes a lot of sense. And we appreciate the compliment on the appearance.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  5. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

That sounds like an HOA thing, rather than a government regulation? Would be curious where it was, if government.
    No, I wouldn't like that particular regulation.

Generally, I believe there should be regulations about removing or otherwise abusing trees. If the house predated the tree, I could see a reason for allowing removal without penalty. But if someone built the house too close to a mature tree, I think we should allow the house to be removed without penalty.

barfo

6. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    Good question
    While I was not required to get a permit to build my tool shed, I think that was because of the small size. This gazebo looks to be pretty large.

7. Lanny

That was not a part of the building code when I knew the code back in the 90s. Why would it be in a code designed to protect the public. The code does not protect the public from eyesores, because it was never part of their charter unless it's been drastically changed. I'm thinking that the ten foot walls might make it a required building code feature. I know that a fence over 6 feet tall requires a permit.

8. wizenheimer

I'll expand a little further on my thinking:

I can't tell from the picture, but those brackets you are using look like they have the room for 4 or 6 nails/screws/bolts, maybe 8.

and there are a couple of issues to consider. One, is that you'd ideally want the positive connections to have a bit of distance from the neutral axis of the structural members. You have 4X4 for post and braces so the neutral axis of each is 1.75" from surface. Draw those two lines in your mind. Then think about your fasteners and picture where the head and barrel of those fasteners are in relation to the neutral axis of each member. The closer they are to the neutral axis, the less effective they are

then, think about which direction the force of movement will be, and what you have to resist it. In this case it's the bracket, but physically, it's really the fasteners securing the bracket. And in the case of your application, the force of any flex will be parallel to the grain of the wood. Not only is parallel to grain resistance weaker, it's also more prone to accumulated movement weakening the wood around the fasteners.

that's why I suggested that 2X4. Yeah, the nails/screws/bolts you use in the brace will be moving, slightly, with the grain. But those fasteners you use in the post and the beam will be perpendicular to the grain. You'd think those would be at 45 degrees from perpendicular but that's not the case in terms of shear force. It will be close to perpendicular, and that's to the better. Whatever fasteners you use should penetrate thru the neutral axis. On those brackets of yours, you should have 3" fasteners. If you have 5" of wood using the 2X4 + 4X4 you should have 4 1/2" fasteners. Pre-drill about 1/2 the size of the fastener to keep from splitting the wood

if you use the 2X4's, keep in mind the neutral axis when fastening. Your fasteners should be closer to the edge of the members than the center. The drawback of course is that on the 2X4, flex will tend to weaken friction resistance over time, but that's counted in years, maybe a couple of decades. But that's still a shorter span of time than when the Blazers will win their next championship, although Olshey and Stotts may still have their jobs

Simpson Strong-Tie makes really good, engineered straps, but they would be pretty unsightly, and painting them fails pretty quickly, even with an oil base paint

PtldPlatypus and SlyPokerDog like this.
  9. Lanny

What are you, some kind of civil engineer? Sounds like something someone would need to know from a statics general engineering course.

10. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

He's built all the best stages at Portland area strip clubs.

If it can handle a stripper it can handle @PtldPlatypus!

PtldPlatypus and Lanny like this.
  11. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

What?

12. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

13. Lanny

I should get to know him better because I like a good strip show better than anyone, well, maybe not better than you. No one likes them better than you, I'll concede that.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  14. Lanny

I know that Portland, Washington county and the city of Lake Oswego all require approval for removal of live mature trees. I think the state does also. Dead trees are fair game.

15. wizenheimer

I have a civil engineering degree but I never went thru the EIT or PE process. Just kind of fell into the nearly brainless swing-a-hammer construction niche. I might have been drunk when I fell into construction but that's just a rumor. But the route I took I was self-employed for nearly 37 years. Beats and office/drafting-table job with an asshole boss all to hell.

and no, I've never been under or on top of a stage at a strip club. I may have spent some nights under a table though....again, just a rumor

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  16. wizenheimer

just focus on the part about a strip club

THE HCP and SlyPokerDog like this.
  17. Lanny

I got my EIT and my PE from two states. Why? I did it for the prestige since it's only had significance in one job and that was a brief one. I guess it looked good on my resume.
    I had the three term sequence of Statics, Dynamics and Strengths of Materials nearly half a century ago but you made it all come flooding back.

18. wizenheimer

yeah, the flashbacks can be eye-rolling. Especially remembering all those fucking hours of problem-solving the professors dreamed up as torture. There was a conspiracy among those professors to because there was a recurring bad-dream problem they all used dealing with a tether-ball. Sometimes the rope would be 12 feet long, or 9 feet or 13.37762 feet, and the rope's diameter would vary from 1/4" to 5/8". Sometimes the pole was 3 inches in diameter or 2.44 inches or a 4X4; and sometimes the pole wasn't perfectly plumb but something like 4 degrees off-plumb. Sometimes the whole shitshiree was at sea level or a 7400 feet elevation with the PSI in the ball changing problem to problem. Take all that bullshit and start figuring forces at certain points depending on initial applied force to the ball....you know, some schmuck hitting the ball. What kind of force would it take to break the pole at 5644' elevation if the pole had 9.2 inch cross-section of Doug Fir Larch being pulled by a 13.33 foot cable 8 degrees off perpendicular....you get the point right? this was torture. Trot out your moment of inertia calculations and scratch out some force diagrams. Fuck those guys....no wonder I got drunk and said "yeah, just give me a hammer"....

Lanny likes this.
  19. Lanny

Holy crap, that reminds me of physics. What is the angular momentum of a dumbell flying in a parabolic arc?

20. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator