Bulls pick 14

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by truebluefan, May 17, 2016.

1. rosenthall

rosenthall Well-Known Member

Here's a video of Henry Ellenson working out with Jimmy Butler:

A couple thoughts:

1). Man, Jimmy is just sooooo "alpha". You can see it in the way he carries himself. I won't go as far as to say he's a bad guy (he clearly works hard on his game), but it's easy to see how he'd rub people the wrong way. I personally don't like spending time with people with his demeanor.

2). I'm warming up to this idea that Ellenson might be BPA when we come on the clock. He was rumoured to go #5 to Minnesota at one point and nothing's really happened since then to drop his stock.

He's pretty close to Mirotic in style and there's no way you could play both of them so it's hard to see where he fits on this team. If he's around I like the idea of drafting him and then trading down for someone like Zizic and an extra 2nd round pick or two.

Really looking forward to the draft. I'm going to guess there will be a lot of trades and surprises that no one saw coming.

2. bullsger

bullsger Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I'm hoping that we also see a Bulls surprise.

3. transplant

transplant Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Uber-alphas are OK if they're Michael Jordan or something close. Butler certainly hasn't shown those kind of on-court chops.

All things being equal, I'd like my best player to be an uber-alpha.

Assuming that the Bulls take the pick at #14, it's going to be a "wait and see" thing. No one figures to be there who can be expected to be an immediate impact player.

4. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

5. truebluefan

Steve Kyler

@stevekylerNBA

When you draft where Bulls are you catch what falls to you... I know they are high on Wade Baldwin and D Jackson

6. rosenthall

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Jackson, Prince, Valentine or Poeltl if he falls to use end up being useful players in year 1. They seem like they have a pretty quick and clear path to their floor.

7. rosenthall

A few interesting points to consider:

1). If Skal Labissiere is available at 14 do the Bulls take them? I think it's hard to say. There are likely going to be a few guys available who will be better fits for the team and the Bulls don't really have any track record for developing a guy like him. The Bulls seem to do best with the 1 foot-in-the-door types.

2). Dejounte Murray and Milachi Richardson are two guys that are creeping into the late lottery. Don't know too much about either one but it could mean a few guys could fall into our laps. Poeltl? Davis? It might be interesting to think about the guys who might fall that we haven't talked about.

3). A few other guys that have not been discussed yet:

Furkan Korkmaz. Skinny turkish kid with a sweet stroke and a high vertical jump. I'm not a huge fan. He seems like the kind of guy who could do an exciting dunk in an empty gym but isn't an especially interesting athlete with the ball in his hands. His first step seems pretty mediocre so it's hard to see when he'll be able to use his vertical. He got almost no playing time last year, is 18 years old and has a very undeveloped body. If drafted it seems like it'd be wise not to expect anything until his second contract and I'm not sure his ceiling is high enough to warrant the investment. Seems like a late 1st/early 2nd guy to me but he's consistently mocked higher so maybe there's something I don't know.

Cheick Diallo. A Labissiere-esque pick. He's a physically talented PF with a great motor who underwhelmed his freshman year at Kansas. Supposedly he's played well in camps and has inched himself into the 1st round, with a few people putting him in the teens close to where the Bulls pick. His strengths are great end-to-end speed and explosive leap that allows him to move to the ball very well. Nice dunker. Apparently he has little instincts for the game of basketball though, which is why he didn't get much burn in college.

8. bullsger

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=16154169

Grade: A' NBA Mock Draft: Who are best picks for every team

9. rosenthall

Green Room Invitees were just announced:

Wade Baldwin, Vanderbilt
    Dragan Bender, Maccabi Tel Aviv
    Jaylen Brown, Cal
    Marquese Chriss, Washington
    Deyonta Davis, Michigan State
    Kris Dunn, Providence
    Henry Ellenson, Marquette
    Buddy Hield, Oklahoma
    Brandon Ingram, Duke
    Skal Labissiere, Kentucky
    Jamal Murray, Kentucky
    Jakob Poeltl, Utah
    Domantas Sabonis, Gonzaga
    Ben Simmons, LSU

This is probably as good sign as any about who's being considered in the lottery. Lots of usual names but it's interesting to note that Dejounte Murray, Malachi Richardson, and Domantas Sabonis are there as well, giving credence to the prognostications of Chad Ford and nbadraft.net, who've had those guys in this area for a while.

Notable omissions are Timothe Luwawu, Deyonta Davis, Denzel Valentine and Furkan Korkmaz, 4 guys who have frequently been projected as late lotto picks. Maybe they're dropping or were never highly regarded to begin with by NBA insiders.

Of the latter 4 I'd love Deyonta Davis but don't care much for the other 3.

Right now I have my tiers like this:

Tier 1: (Would love to get)
    Deyonta Davis, Wade Baldwin, Poeltl (think he could fall)

Tier 2: (Would be happy with)
    Malik Beasley, Ivica Zubac, Damian Jones, Ellenson (not a good fit but BPA), Yubusele (I think he's underrated), Cheick Diallo,

Tier 3: (Not Crazy About but Wouldn't Mind)
    Demetrius Jackson, Ante Zizic, Damian Jones, Timothe Luwawu, Skal, Deandre Bembry, Patrick McCaw, Sabonis

Tier 4: (Guys I don't particularly want)
    Denzel Valentine, Furkan Korkmaz, Malachi Richardson,

10. bullsger

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/samsmith/draft2016/sam-smith-bulls-prediction

Here’s a sampling of mock drafts and whom they have the Bulls selecting at No. 14:

ESPN: Wade Baldwin

NBA Draft.Net: Wade Baldwin

NBA Draft Express: Timothe Luwawu

CBS Sports: Domantas Sabonis

Walterfootball.com: Dejounte Murray

Draftsite.com: Jakob Poeltl

Tankathon: Wade Baldwin

Netscouts: Skal Labissiere

Bleacher Report: Tyler Ulis

Mynbadraft.com: Deyonta Davis

Cheatsheet.com: Deyonta Davis

Draftutopia.com: Furkan Kormaz

NBA Draft Room: Henry Ellenson

Fox Sports: Domontas Sabonis

SB Nation: Demetrius Jackson

Rotoworld: Deyonta Davis

SI.com: Skal Labissiere

Hoopshype: Deyonta Davis

NBA.com consensus: Domontas Sabonis

NBA.com: Furkan Korkmaz

Sporting News: Domantas Sabonis

Nothinbutnets: Jakob Poeltl

Draftsite.com: Jakob Poeltl

Charlotte Observer: Malachi Richardson

Washington Post: Timothe Luwawu

Yahoosports: Timothe Luwawu

USA Today: Timothy Luwawu

Basketball Insiders: Wade Baldwin

11. rosenthall

Not a huge fan of Ulis, Korkmaz or Luwawu.

Ulis strikes me as someone destined to be a backup and a frequent matchup problem on defense and thus deserving of a late 1st, early 2nd. He's overhyped IMO.

I see a Thabo type player in Luwawu, but not necessarily much more than that......I'd rather Torrean Prince if we want to do the 3&D route.

I like Baldwin, but readily admit he has no potential to be a star. He does have a good path towards being an impact rotation player as someone who can credibly play both 1&2. Hinrich is a decent comp IMO. It'd be great if he was a little more shifty with the ball in his hands, but he's not.

Poeltl strikes me as a guy that might fall simply because he doesn't have anything especially interesting about his game, despite the fact that he's a good prospect. He strikes me as a good bet to be a Steven Adams type player, but perhaps with more polish on offense and defense. He's a very good, albeit boring pick. I won't complain if he falls to us. He can probably be a rotation player starting next year.

Richardson strikes me as the type of guy that regularly tricks teams into thinking they might have a star. As a prospect he kind of reminds me of Terrence Ross, in both good and bad ways.

If we're going to roll with a toolsy, low performance big man I'd prefer that we go with Cheick Diallo than Skal. Great athleticism, length, motor and intensity. Unskilled, but seems like a fluid athlete that can pick up some offensive skills that play. His upside strikes me as Taj+. Skal worries me......not sure he has any dog in him.

Apparently Davis is coming off like a knucklehead in his interviews, but from what I can see he seems like a great pick at 14. No complaints.

It might be useful to think about guys the Bulls could have on their radar that haven't been mentioned yet.

All the smoke about Baldwin makes me think they're not going to take him. The Bulls are good at not tipping their hat, so a lot of this stuff might be fluff.

Some guys we might want to think about as possibilities are Brice Johnson and Juan Hernangomez, two guys that are unique prospects that have NEVER been associated with the Bulls thus far.

12. bullsger

13. rosenthall

14. truebluefan

So who do we get now?

15. rosenthall

Honestly, you could make a case for just about anyone. The only guy that seems to be off the table now is Baldwin, who's very similar to Grant as a prospect.

truebluefan likes this.
  16. truebluefan

KC likes Valaentine, Jackson , and Murray.

Any one of those 3, IK am fine with

17. truebluefan

18. truebluefan

I have always love watching the draft.

Watching last years draft now.

19. truebluefan

20. bullsger