Bulls Vs. Warriors 2/9

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by iLL PiLL, Feb 8, 2007.

1. boogiescott

boogiescott JBB JustBBall Member

You guys crack me up ..... i am deep into my escrow period buying a house.... that proverbial house of my dreams..... 2800 sq ft. on a 15,500 sq ft lot in san diego,..... swimming pool jacuzzi.... and a 450 sq ft game room.... pool table big screen ...... and these idiot sellers wanna back out..... the 11th hour here...

so my veins were all ready to burst.... and when barnes threw the ball to Nellie.... i turned to my friends watching with me and said "you see that is barnes in a nutshell....a moron".... thankfully Nelson pulled him immeditely....

i know barnes got some big boards ..... but the guy is just a horrible shooter and decision maker.... i was ok with his effort..... but i stress when he has the ball in his hands..... cause i know he is thinking shoot first....shoot second.... try to create a miracle third.... and 4th maybe i make a safe pass...

so you guys called it when he jacked up some bad decisions on 3 balls and that stupid shot in the clutch....

but how about beans and the team actually going to him down the stretch ....i was shocked.... and poor Pietrus could have been a hero.... what a clutch shot from him though...

Ellis is consistently steppiing up as a clutch stud....

Sjax played well once again.... for the most part

I concur .... powell needs to see more floor time and i would like to see beans/powell tandem.... and i continue to agree with all that is being said on AL....

2. iLL PiLL

iLL PiLL JBB JustBBall Member

I'm still behind you boogielew about Barnes. I was at the game and everytime Barnes caught the ball i covered my eyes because i knew he was gonna shoot it. I dont understand why Nelson doesn't play Azu more? I was watching him shoot at half and he was nearly hitting everything..and when he came in he knocked down that three with ease.
    Overall good game but bad experience for me. This one hyper ass kid kept screaming nonsense during the game and when they were passing out balloons he got like 10 of them and started hitting everyone around him with the balloons. Eventually he got too hyper and yacked all over the floor. Poor couple in front of him didnt even know until later that her Jersey and hair was covered in his vomit and she just took off the jersey and threw it on the ground

3. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

Did anyone notice how Beans had NO involvement in the offense until late in the game? They need to go to him from start to finish. He even has some nice 1 on 1 post moves now instead of just being a pick and roll player.

About Powell, he looks like a nice piece. I would love to see a starting lineup with Harrington at the 3, Powell at the 4 and Beans at 5 and see how that does on defense. Play Jackson at 2 and Montay at 1 until Baron comes back.

Ellis is more of a man than anyone else on our team. His composure is UNREAL. He is a quicker version of Ben Gordon. This guy is lights out and can hit in the clutch every time! Veins with ice water, holy cow...

4. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

<div class="quote_poster">Warriorfansnc93 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Did anyone notice how Beans had NO involvement in the offense until late in the game? They need to go to him from start to finish. He even has some nice 1 on 1 post moves now instead of just being a pick and roll player.</div>I agree but I think we all have to come to the realization and just accept that Nellie will never make a big man the focal point of his offense, or run traditional post-up plays on a regular basis. He has consistently shown he is biased against this, first with Ike, with his refusal to play two big men together, and now by not running plays for Andris, who is probably the most reliable scorer on the team.

5. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    That was a really entertaining game, a lot of back and forth action. I feel the Bulls could've clinched the game after the third quarter, but like always they seem to fail by evens or odds strangely. Anyway I wasn't really shocked or disapointed by the outcome, I thought the Warriors deserved the win after their surge coming back into the fourth. Now, I'm only a Bulls fan, but I always hold the Warriors close. Mostly because they were the first team I seen live against the Bulls in 1995 and met a few of the players.

Looking forward to the next game!

6. DTKennedy

DTKennedy JBB JustBBall Member

Don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, but something that jumped out at me in the boxscore - Ellis 7assists/1TO ... considering the number of 5ast/5to games we've seen this year, that's a really nice sign. Jackson took good care of the ball too.

7. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

Wow the Bulls looked like a good team. If this games was judged by who played better and cleaner basketball I might have judged it in the Bulls' favor. Fortunately that is not how basketball works. But the Bulls look great passing the ball. If they were able to land Chris Webber that would have been interesting to watch. PJ Brown did well however.

I can't decide to start off with a positive or negative. Anyhow, Don Nelson needs to go with the man-to-man defense a little more. Pietrus is a great defender, but if he is playing zone, then I think that aspect of his game goes to waste. Overall I don't mind if he uses the zone, it has been effective, I just believe that man-to-man defense will help the team quite a bit. I already mentioned how it will help Pietrus shine more, but I think Stephen Jackson and the other wing players may enjoy it more at periods of the game because Jackson and Harrington aren't really conditioned for this style of basketball on offense and defense, then going to man may buy them a slight cooling down period. I mean on offense it is all run-run. On defense it is constant shifting and moving even more. Of course these players are professional top of the line basketball players and athletes so he running shouldn't be that tough on them, but I think in the slightest bit it probably does, how couldn't it? Also Jackson, Pietrus, and Monta are pretty decent man-to-man defenders along with Azubuike so I don't see a big loss going to the man defense. I think the Warriors played better defense last night in the man D.

A positive is the Warriors' rebounding. They got many more offensive boards than the Bulls and it showed in the shot attempts, in which the Warriors had like 10 more FGA I believe. You have to like that.

I really thought the Warriors were going to lose (outside of horrible defense) even when they were coming back in the 4th because of all of those missed FTs. That was pretty scarey. The game maybe wouldn't have been so close if the Warriors made more of their free shots. But for the most part it came together in the 4th.

This win is huge. If the Warriors lost then they would be behind the Hornets or about tied. The Hornets is another team that I can see having a huge run for the playoffs this season, especially with Chris Paul back. I see four good teams fighting for the last two playoff spots between Denver, Los Angeles, New Orleans, and Golden State (and can we count out Minnesota?).

A big February is critical for this team.

BTW I like Powell as well as Azubuike. Those two seemed to turn the game around in the third period. Azubuike's three pointer, and then his defense giving himself a fast break for an easy dunk were awesome. Powell made a sweet move with one dribble from the top of the key slicing through the defense for a nice bucket. I like these players since they seem to be such good role players and basketball players.

8. Legacy

Legacy Beast

What a game. I'm really glad we won against one of the top teams in the east.

9. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">iLL PiLL Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I'm still behind you boogielew about Barnes. I was at the game and everytime Barnes caught the ball i covered my eyes because i knew he was gonna shoot it. I dont understand why Nelson doesn't play Azu more? I was watching him shoot at half and he was nearly hitting everything..and when he came in he knocked down that three with ease.
    Overall good game but bad experience for me. This one hyper ass kid kept screaming nonsense during the game and when they were passing out balloons he got like 10 of them and started hitting everyone around him with the balloons. Eventually he got too hyper and yacked all over the floor. Poor couple in front of him didnt even know until later that her Jersey and hair was covered in his vomit and she just took off the jersey and threw it on the ground</div>

On the Bulls last play, BARNES WAS FAKED OUT OF HIS SHOES by Duhon who had cut across!!! Duhon then drove, so SJax had to help cover inside from the weak side. Duhon instead dished the ball back out to Hinrich.

Now everybody knows the Bulls want the ball in Hinrich or Gordon's hands at the end of the game. Hinrich could've have taken the 3 from on top, but Cabbages went up and covered. So Hinrich swung the ball to Gordon. Jackson saw the play develop and played some heads up D to run out and cover Gordon.

Barnes forced the zone to cover for his mistake and Hinrich to Gordon almost made the Warriors pay. Jackson ended up making Ben adjust his shot and miss the rim completely.

10. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Clif, JasonV, I saw all those things, too. Good eyes.

11. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah -- you know there's players who, in limited minutes look good because

a)no one's seen their game yet
    b)they have fresh legs
    c)they have no problem getting the adrenaline up because they never play

There are some players who get called up/signed to 10-day/get a chance and they look great at first for the above reasons, but once their body gets worn down and the league figures them out, they revert back to being that bench player from before.

I thought Barnes might be this type of guy. High energy but benefited from being a 4th option. Once teams key on him, he gets out of rythm. We've seen it with his spin-move, which defenders now step in front of, which COMPLETELY leaves Barnes hanging, trying to dish it out or avoid the charge or bank in a prayer. Nonetheless, Barnes seems to be weathering the storm that usually follows early success from a "nobody," and kudos to him for not fading away / letting the POOR shooting get to him. It takes great mental toughness to stay in this league, I imagine. He's doing well.

However, I don't see that being a problem for Powell, because his game isn't about catching people by suprise or flying "under the radar." He has a sweet jumpshot, a nose for the ball, a big frame, and good footwork. Hey! What more to ask for? This kid could be what Ike was supposed to be. Ike still may get there, but I mean Powell's game looks like it's here to stay. Put him in, you'll get good shooting, good rebounding, and good activity.

The difference between Powell and Ike? Powell played professionally overseas and took his lickings. Ike was a top draft choice who was pampered out of school. Powell has gone up 1-on-1 against Jermaine O'Neal every day in practice with Indy, and learned a lot. Ike should now be benefitting from that same tutilage. But right now, Powell seems more mentally tough. I see Ike hang his head, or point fingers, but Powell looks tough and doesn't seem to let pressure get to him. I like that.

12. REREM

REREM JBB JustBBall Member

Went out to dinner and a movie and missed the Bulls game.

While Barnes has been making some blunders,and his 3 has cooled...he's still a bargain price hustle guy and the 12 boards he snatched were likely essential.

Don't overrate Powell yet. He's got some game,but defenses don't pay much attention to him and he's had some real open scores.

Again--Foyle,in few min.,does contribute.

W's really need players who are consistant-stable,play a smart,team game while playing high energy. Hopefully some of these players do evolve to be that.

13. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

Funny game, Warriors were scoring at will in the 1st and 2nd, then the third is more of the same, low percentage jumpers, standing around, and horrible zone defense. Then they make a little run in the 3rd (but then Monta commits a stupid foul on Hinrich where at the end of quarter, 3secs, Bulls inbound from their baseline, Hinrich gets a deep pass behind Monta, Monta has to grab, Hinrich gets a 3 pt play. Utterly stupid and careless so Monta gets janked immediately.)

This sets up the Sarunus and Azubike show to start the 4th and the energy comes to the fans.

What a win against a quality team in OT. One of the funnest ever.

Now the bad stuff:

1. Zone is lousy for rebounding, especially Warriors weakside, which means W's hope for a loose ball out of bounds. Also Warriors cannot defend interior passing with zone. PJ Brown got 20+ and most no farther than 10 ft.

2. Harrington is a nice offensive option; stupid D. He's 7 ft and he plays totally with his hands down low, hand-checking to easy fouls and he almost never challenges a shot at the rim or on the jumper.

3. Monta is an awesome finisher; but those dumb-headed plays are why he sits.

4. Powell's slam set the tone; but don't get too happy with him, he's got a lot to learn, like Taft when he scored a little. A nice body. Maybe.

5. Pietrus; aside from the huge 3, he still has no clue on offense.

Back to the positive:

Biedrins was sweet; nice finishes. Hope he gets his FTs back to more arc.

Barnes; horrible shooting, but he's not a bad defender.

Sarunus is a PG, an NBA PG, just needs to stay in on D.

14. dallasdude

dallasdude JBB JustBBall Member

15. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Thx Dallasdude, yeah I think somebody told me that but I can't remember who.

Oh and Philsmith always a pleasure to hear your take. I like the discussion on the positive areas. I can't seem to find any of my own, unless I really lower my personal standards on what I expect from this club.

It's like students taking a math quiz... The outcome is that despite really trying hard and studying, everyone of them gets low C's, D's and F's compared to the smarter kids in the other classroom who get A's and B's. The positive is that a few of those D and F kids at least spelled their name correctly and had perfect handwriting and they're improving from their previous scores. Okay, maybe it's not that bad considering our record, but we really needed to have more quality big men to play both ends of the floor.

And if I didn't like Murphy, it's pretty guaranteed that I'd dislike Harrington's game equally if not more. With Dunleavy and Sjax, there's parts of their game I admire, and others I don't. I think with Sjax there'll be the same love-hate relationship regarding their playing style, results, and their mentality. Ike Diogu is a player that I'll miss, shame that Nelson is too caught up in playing a specific kind of ball rather than developing this guy into a force in the paint (which I felt he could have been when paired with Biedrins and not playing center and not having to guard for Murphy or Dunleavy).

Let's hope saving money will pay off or else... crap... there's just no hope in saving up for some kind of reward in the next few years. It would suck to lose let's say, lose Biedrins or Ellis if money becomes misappropriated into subpar free agents again. Hopefully, Mullin learned his lesson in 2004 and 2005 offseasons.

16. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    <div class="quote_poster">dallasdude Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Some dude on sports radio here in dallas was saying that the Warriors were the first team in nba history to start 5 players who never attended college for this game.

Ellis/Jackson/Pietrus/Harrington/Biedrins

http://www.nba.com/games/20070209/CHIGSW/boxscore.html</div>

And Matt Barnes graduated from UCLA. Go figure [​IMG].

17. philsmith75

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Thx Dallasdude, yeah I think somebody told me that but I can't remember who.

Oh and Philsmith always a pleasure to hear your take. I like the discussion on the positive areas. I can't seem to find any of my own, unless I really lower my personal standards on what I expect from this club.

It's like students taking a math quiz... The outcome is that despite really trying hard and studying, everyone of them gets low C's, D's and F's compared to the smarter kids in the other classroom who get A's and B's. The positive is that a few of those D and F kids at least spelled their name correctly and had perfect handwriting and they're improving from their previous scores. Okay, maybe it's not that bad considering our record, but we really needed to have more quality big men to play both ends of the floor.

And if I didn't like Murphy, it's pretty guaranteed that I'd dislike Harrington's game equally if not more. With Dunleavy and Sjax, there's parts of their game I admire, and others I don't. I think with Sjax there'll be the same love-hate relationship regarding their playing style, results, and their mentality. Ike Diogu is a player that I'll miss, shame that Nelson is too caught up in playing a specific kind of ball rather than developing this guy into a force in the paint (which I felt he could have been when paired with Biedrins and not playing center and not having to guard for Murphy or Dunleavy).

Let's hope saving money will pay off or else... crap... there's just no hope in saving up for some kind of reward in the next few years. It would suck to lose let's say, lose Biedrins or Ellis if money becomes misappropriated into subpar free agents again. Hopefully, Mullin learned his lesson in 2004 and 2005 offseasons.</div>

CR2, thanks and I enjoy reading your well-thought out analysis too.

18. boogiescott

boogiescott JBB JustBBall Member

Did anyone catch Matt Steinmetz talking about the Warriors going after Gasol or possibly KG..... and that Mullin willl have a tough decision....because the players that teams will ask for will be Ellis and AB..... I hope that isnt a tough decision.... The answer is no.... Those are the future cornerstones of the franchise... an aging KG... is a great short term fix.... but those two are young.

19. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

KG for Ellis? I would definitely go for it. KG for AB? Probably not, since it's extremely tough to get a center with that type of quickness. And, it would be quite tough to part Ellis for Gasol as well...

20. philsmith75

No on either!!! History shows that you very rarely succeed by trading young pieces for older, aging talent, unless those young pieces are not the core but accessories. Kareem? Somehow the Lakers lucked into both Magic and Worthy.