"By Ben Golliver"

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Blazer Fanatic, Nov 27, 2013.

1. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Denny, I rarely put my own quote into my signature, but I did it to send you a message.

2. Blazer Fanatic

Blazer Fanatic Suspended

If they hated you, I assure you it wasn't because of something I did or said. lol What was your screen name, I don't recognize jlprk?

3. Paxil

Paxil Active Member

Software engineer
    I don't much know who Ben Golliver is, but I am sure I read some of his stuff... might have seen him on Talking Ball. I am sure I agreed with some of it, disagreed with the rest. The definition of 'Journalist' has been blurred with online media, and blogs... but rest assured, just getting paid by someone does not mean you are a great journalist... and not getting paid at all doesn't mean you are not one. I get a LOT of my blazers news right here... and sometimes there are some decent takes... and many times this board is just a punching bag for people unable to deal with a loss... but in way... I consider you all journalists... which is why I don't subscribe to the Oregonian... and I do read this forum for Blazers news. If anything important happens... I know someone here will let me know about it... and I can see how real people feel about the Blazers.

4. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Thanks for the input, Ben. How about coming up with some original content once in a while, though, outside of the occasional national story.

5. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

:MARIS61:

6. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    Ah, so it wasn't you.

IT WAS YOU!!!!!!!!

7. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    I have never seen Ben claim anyone else's content as his own. I defy anyone to post a link to a legitimate example.

8. Blazer Fanatic

Blazer Fanatic Suspended

No one is saying he claims anyone else's content as his own, aside from the fact that he always takes someone else's hard work, adds a new title to it, slaps "By Ben Golliver" on it, and puts it on BE which he benefits financially from. When you look at the articles on BE, they don't say "By Bill Simmons" or "By Kevin Pelton" or by "AP" or by anyone but "Ben Golliver." The classic example is "Pelton says... By Ben Golliver". What exactly did Ben Golliver contribute that makes the information in the article one of Ben Golliver's creation? You can defy all you like. The traffic to BE would be crap compared to what it is were it not for all of the "By Ben Golliver" articles that he had nothing to do with other than posting them on BE.

I get the notion of a system where on-line writers may agree to share articles in hopes to drive traffic to both sites. But there is simply no excuse that every front page article he has posted with someone else's content, making up the entirety of the article, on BE has "By Ben Golliver" instead of "By (the original author)". I don't need to post examples, it's EVERY GD ARTICLE. lol

Since you may have missed it earlier in this thread, this is how The Oregonian, professionally, and correctly credits a source when citing an entire piece of work:

Chicago's Derrick Rose out for season after knee surgery following injury in Portland
    The Associated Press
    Posted 11/25/2013 8:40 AM

You see how it doesn't say "By Joe Freeman"? To do otherwise, as Ben Golliver does, is absolute bush-league.

9. Blazer Fanatic

Blazer Fanatic Suspended

Did you miss the question or are you pleading the 5th? "What was your screen name, I don't recognize jlprk?"

10. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Ever since SB Nation changed formats they got away from fostering community fan posts and made it all about the main contributors. Now it's just like any modern day news-site, fighting to grab the attention of an information addicted society. It's not pretty but it's the world we live in, and I'll admit I frequent BlazersEdge to get my fix of links and tidbits, but just like anything else on the Internet I take it with a grain of salt.

11. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

Sbnation has the gif oracle...get us one of those denny

12. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Goliver's soup kitchen comment pissed me the fuck off. With that note, he can fuck off too

13. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

EXCUSE ME?

14. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    The memories come and go. The easy answer is BobWhitsittsGhost. But in the last couple of years (I left Sept. 2009) there were a few. FerociousRooster was one. I don't remember the others right now.

When Gramps left, do you remember the predictions game? Which name ran it? That was me, for about 1 1/2 to 2 seasons, until the bastard repeatedly deleted all the predictions threads (like he had with Gramps).

15. StumptownHoliday

StumptownHoliday Y'all know what time it is.

Doctor
    I like Blazersedge. I always have. That site helped me organize my Blazer fandom into something more tangible than simply talking about basketball to my cousins every other week. They have a lot of entertaining posters that help make that site alive (and thriving), and due to its popularity I consider the site a must read for any and all Blazer fans (as is RipCityTwo).

With that said, I think Ben is a bit of a toolbag. Dave, I like. I appreciate his ability to stay lucid and balanced no matter the ups or downs (though if things go really well he does start to party a lil) and his eloquence. He might not be a former-ball-player-turned-blogger-cum-journalist... but neither is the Sports Guy. You don't need to have played competitive ball to really understand the game of basketball.

16. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Blazersedge is, and always has been, an on-line community revolving around a blog that searches, sifts, and summarizes any and all things Blazers on the internet, with added commentary and analysis by site administrators. His by-line takes credit for collecting, collating, and when appropriate, criticizing content, nothing more.

17. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    How do you fit that head through doorways?

18. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Jlprk seems to be confused. This post is terrific. Well written. Makes a fair point. Maybe Ben will read it and gain from it. I hope so.

I wrote that I'm fine with it. Meaning it won't be deleted here. Nor has anyone's posts calling me or this site out. Including plenty by jlprk himself.

We are part of the Blazers family. It's a good place to be for all of us. So what's good for BE is good for us, indirectly or directly.

Blazer Fanatic likes this.
  19. Blazer Fanatic

Blazer Fanatic Suspended

Disclaimer: It would be sweet if you had only a few posts to your account, as in "rook status" so that what I'm about to write wouldn't come off a overt ass kissing.

That said, I still disagree with your take on Taj (obligatory attempt to support my disclaimer), and it is entirely irrelevant for the respect I have for you to be secure enough, to know that free speech (aside from the threatening kind) makes for a better, more informed environment - and in fact, leads to more accountability for what people write, not less. That you can show respect to those that you may vehemently disagree with said a lot about you. ;) I'm a fan.

20. Denny Crane

Never lost a case
    Check out Taj's stat line for last night.