"By Ben Golliver"

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Blazer Fanatic, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    And there's this (audio is NSFW):

[video=youtube;8Bfe6CgYbH8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bfe6CgYbH8[/video]

2. Blazer Fanatic

Blazer Fanatic Suspended

I'm still reeling from his stat line the 2 nights prior! When your strongest case for Taj was Chicago's record, I assure you it took every fiber in my being from bumping that thread! lol

3. Blazer Fanatic

Blazer Fanatic Suspended

Look, no one is accusing Golliver of plagiarizing Luke Babbit's face here. But I do wonder if you realize by continuing to argue the legal definition of plagiary or whether that is even the real focus of my post, you are only making this thread live on in infamy. Maybe we need to lighten the mood a bit?

Q: What is the difference between Blazers Edge and Napster?

A: Ben Golliver is a no-talent hack.

If only Ben's Nolan Smith jokes were as timeless as this one. We can dream, can't we?

No doubt people will keep sending their $0.02 clicks (pun intended) to BE's fund which provides food and shelter to what is so clearly a creatively challenged individual. My heart goes out to Ben, but not enough to donate to his unfortunate lack of originality. You'd think the least Ben could do is send devoted, charitable givers a postcard, or even an e-card with Ben's " :( " on it, and a update of how he's getting by.

Back to the OP:

Ben talks crap about Blazers and then turns around and profits from having access to those same players. Do you think the players know what Ben writes and says about them? I'm of the opinion if players actually cared or knew that dear Benjamin was actually talking crap about more often than not, no doubt, that access would be severely strained. If I met you at a bar, and made a comment about you, to you, in jest? I could definitely recover from any lost rapport. I have a nice smile that is very convincing. ;) What if I took, say, a karaoke mic and announcing the same to a packed room of strangers? Most people would say I was an ass, and I would agree. That is what Golliver does on a regular basis. I don't know about Ben's upbringing, but he comes off sounding like the awkward kid in school that everyone made fun of. It's not a good perception to set, and entirely avoidable.

People still used Napster, and Kazoo even when both were clearly profiting, and dare I say pirating, from the original artists' creative, talented, and hard work. I'm not judging those that give to BE, but let's not be coy about what BE has become. A for-profit sports page designed to maximize ad revenue. Again, I won't go so far as to chastise those that find fellowship behind it's walls - even if those walls are built on other journalists hard work. God bless America and all that stuff.

Ben is a Vulture in my opinion. And while some people can make a good living as vultures, I choose not to support them or spend any time bird watching Ben as he hovers over the barren, sandy desert that is the breath of Ben's creative contribution to a passionate Blazer fan base. While an argument could be made that original authors are complicit in this, their hope to increase their own click count doesn't change Golliver's screaming inadequacies to stick with creating original content himself, for his readers.

Gauntlet thrown down - gauntlet picked up - Gauntlet thrown down again while wafting my black labs fart in Ben's general direction.

My final point again, Dave is a good writer, and bright spot on the site - creator of original content for better or for worse. Clearly, you don't need to be an NBA player or coach to speak with a degree of authority on the subject. However, Dave has consistently shown a propensity to confuse his fan-dom with an objective take on the Blazers. He would be the Meyers Leonard of BE. He lacks some basic fundamentals, unless of course he is only speaking from the perspective of a fan. Unfortunately, he too often speaks from a platform of authority on the subject matter - and like Ben, and BE as a moderated conglomerate of controlling the message in general, those that would point out inconsistencies, fallacies, or factual inaccuracies are more often than not having their contributions deleted. If BE is in fact a community, it's certainly gated, not inclusive to all Blazer fans, and not exactly patrolled by your friendly neighborhood watch.

Deleted comments, deleted fan posts, and the section for fans being relegated to a smaller portion than that of the ad space has taken BE from what once made it great, to just another sports page looking for donations. So Denny is quite correct, BE is the opposite of RC2.

4. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    So...when Olshey famously went off on reporters about the Aldridge trade rumors, and he said something about one of them who "just copies and pastes stuff" (or words to that effect), was he talking about this Golliver guy?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  5. Blazer Fanatic

Blazer Fanatic Suspended

Yup. While most on BE took that as a "shout out", myself included at the time, it was also a very candid description of the staple of BE content.

6. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    A lot of folks here treated it as a major insult.

7. Blazer Fanatic

Blazer Fanatic Suspended

That speaks exactly to one of my points. The group think of that gated community doesn't allow for the "major insult" opinion to be the majority, even if the majority perceives it that way. What often occurs is that those voices move on to get their Blazer fix from other sites such as RC2. It's a "calculated choice" by the BE bunch, but I use that phrase extremely figuratively.

8. Blazer Fanatic

Blazer Fanatic Suspended

Someone's gotta cook in this house. Y'all enjoy your Thanksgiving. :)

9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'm really happy to find this site, like Fanatic, I was on other sites where being a fan of the team or even slightly optimistic about the potential was cannon fodder for personal attacks....it got out of hand. Much more intelligent hoops interplay here and nobody seems to take themselves too seriously. Glad to see healthy debate that has some food for thought for a change. BF is the most articulate poster around and does her research thoroughly. My posts go way down because she usually says what I'm thinking before I can post it only she does it better than I could.

10. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    Glad you're here, riverman. To me, not taking ourselves too seriously is the best thing about this group. These clowns are pretty damn funny at times. And there are times when I need that. It's not always all about basketball.

11. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Well you won't have that nazi post control here. I mean I smack Denny around like an old rag doll and he refuses to edit or delete posts. If you can't debate yourself out of issue, then concede. Otherwise, stfu

12. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    I never look at Blazers Edge, except when linked from here, but I'll say this in their favor: If they're making money hand over fist, why stop? Most internet news sites just pass on articles they didn't write. Few have reporters who actually run to breaking news and write. This is the New World Order.

13. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

I left ESPN in 2006, I believe.

I got tired of the SHAQ IS A MELONHEADED DUFUS!!!!! spam. Plus, once the LilCholo wars were over, ESPN lost its edge.

Regards,

Wallace_Rules

p.s.

Greetings fellow roundball fans.

Regards,

Derek_Wong_Jr

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  14. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    Are you saying you were those screen names? You sure are nothing like Wong. I don't remember the personality of the Wallace name.

And yes, I know "it wasn't you." You were long gone.

That would be funny if you were Derek Wong. Noooo waaaayyy. That guy talked like a robot.

15. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Crap were you both those jokers?! :lol:

And I think it was "roundball fanatics" lol that fuckin' guy.

16. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

No, I wasn't DWJ. I was only PapaG. I actually met Wallace/Wells_Rules at one of the ESPN/BBF suite parties at the Rose Garden. The one that Shonz and Kersey visited to sign autographs.

17. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

No, wasn't me. Derek Wong Jr was perhaps the best performance artist in history.

Back in the early 2000s, there were a lot of Laker fans on the ESPN board, too. Remember Coup and angrypuppy?

18. jlprk

retired, while you work!
  19. DaLincolnJones

DaLincolnJones Well-Known Member

Seems to me that you have been cookin a bit in here with all of the pot stirring! Hahaha a very welcomed bit of opinion served up!

20. Blazer Fanatic

Blazer Fanatic Suspended

In other words, don't blame Golliver for being lazy, blame society. Wow. lol