"By Ben Golliver"

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Blazer Fanatic, Nov 27, 2013.

1. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I see it more as 'opportunistic' than 'lazy'. To say lazy is to credit him with both the knowledge and writing skill to do the job of a journalist, reporter, or beat writer. And yes, blame society.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
    Blazer Fanatic likes this.
  2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Well, without cut and paste, opportunistic, lazy or apathetic sports journalism, we wouldn' have Hunter Thompson or Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas...consider the source and enjoy the ride, will it change the way writers get paychecks, .....nah

3. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Lazy, lol. You redefine his job description to what you think it ahould be, then say he's bad at his job.

4. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Newspapers are going out of business because free zombie sites parasite their paying customers away. Soon the papers won't be scraping up any little news tidbit cooties for the parasites to steal. In 10 years, maybe it will become a custom of the trade for Blazers Edge to pay fees to papers for reporter service.

Until then, BE gets profits that it doesn't really earn.

5. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Sadly, in this society, you can't blame hardly anyone for anything anymore (except some blame George Bush for everything) and accountability has gone straight out the window.

The list of buffoonery that goes unchecked is incredible on almost every level. I'm quite sure it's not making the media, our government or our country any better.

:matrix:

6. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Oh my god, jlprk wrote a post I actually understand and provides me some good insight on this topic . . . wish I could understand all your posts. :)

So true, this is just the new wave of websites who area in it for the cash and it has contributed to the downfall of the newspaper business.

7. The_Lillard_King

Got to give this to Ben: many of us spend countless hours on the computer reading and talking Blazers . . . Ben does the same thing and gets paid for it.

8. Blazer Fanatic

Blazer Fanatic Suspended

Is your objection that "lazy" is overly simplistic? Well then, let me expound on that.

Perhaps that's the problem with society, even though I blame individuals - because we do live in America where no one forces you to make up shit meanings for words, while excusing everyone for being border-line illiterate. Our society rewards no talent hacks who rip other people's intellectual property and act like they are doing everyone a service. I didn't say Golliver was bad at his job, if you accept his "job" as copy and paste "journalism" - posting someone else's work on your website, and then spamming Facebook or Twitter for people to go there and view virtual marketing in all its glory. Regardless of what you, Senior BlazerWookee, think Golliver's job is, I am saying he is a lazy, no-talent, hack. Think of them as mutually exclusive if you must, because clearly, making money and having talent are unrelated in this instance.

Golliver is self-admittedly, not funny. His self-deprecating remarks are obviously an insecurity for what is so clearly a lack of ability in the art of making people laugh, and most often at the expense of Blazer players.

"Hey, what are you working on Joe Freeman," inquired Golliver. "Oh, I've been working really hard on this story about ipads on the Blazer bench," Freeman replied. Golliver thought to himself, "Wow, my game recaps get way fewer views than Dave on BE, and he doesn't even go to games, never played competitive basketball, and doesn't really understand a lot of things about the game for a guy that speaks with such authority. I should totally "break" t(his) story in my game recap and see if that doesn't drive traffic."

And now we see a pattern with Golliver. Or perhaps even of a circle of life - where life means poop, and every stage in the circle it's just the same amorphous, steaming pile of poop. Hot off the presses, pun intended.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  9. The_Lillard_King

Come on BF, your agenda against Ben is getting a little out of control here.

I think it's great you called him out the way you did. That is what this site is for (knowing your post won't get deleted) and it informed me more about that website. But to start acting like Ben is the anti-christ is a bit much. Ben isn't the only person combing the website about a topic and putting it all together on their website. His tactics are aggressive and even a bit deceptive . . . but we live in a capitalistic society and many people do the same thing to one degree or another.

Life doesn't mean poop. But it is a buyer beware environment we live in, especially as we all go global through the internet. Thanks for calling Ben out and now we can choose if we wish to visit a site knowing what it is all about.

10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Almost any medium society portrays for public viewing falls victim to the same thing. You can walk through a world renowned art museum and see pictures worth small fortunes that I would never hang on my wall. As Henry Miller once said, you've got to sift through tons of garbage to find a couple of masterpieces. Choice is the key, you can focus on the garbage in the gutter or the flowers on the hill, they're both there all the time. BF..you should apply for a paid position as a sports journalist. You are better at it than Golliver, so take his job! Better yet, just don't read his articles and give him even more hits to justify his paycheck. I'd rather read your basketball articles than 70% of what's out there.

11. Blazer Fanatic

Blazer Fanatic Suspended

Anti-Christ? Yikes.

It would appear you are implying I should stop responding when my words are taken out of context, or people misrepresent my point. Words have meaning, and "lazy, no-talent, hack" does not mean "Anti-Christ" under any connotation, much to my dismay.

True, many people do many things. Random fact alert. That has nothing to do with the points I made, nor does it provide an excuse for Golliver to put "By Ben Golliver" on someone else's work and post it on his web-site for personal gain.

"Life" doesn't equal "poop"? I guess it's a good thing it was an analogy of "circle of life" in relation to a cycle that repeats itself ad nauseam. I know this was a really deep joke, what with poop and all, so I won't "crucify" anyone like I did Golliver for missing the point. lol I could do this all day, I've got time. But for my sake, for the sake of all God's children, can't we just stick to either agreeing or disagreeing? I'm thrilled you see the light. Amen.

12. Blazer Fanatic

Blazer Fanatic Suspended

True, but the probability of finding a master piece in a dumpster is quite low. lol

Thanks hun. ;) It's just a hobby. I don't care to spend more time on it that doing a good job day in and day out would require.

Can you imagine what I do for a real job if I'm perceived as being THIS good at a hobby? (Safety Tip: This was humor, before anyone decides to take it as hubris and run with it!)

13. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Can you teach barfo how to write?

14. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    I was worried you'd feel that way, so I wrote my parasite cooties post just for you.

15. The_Lillard_King

Well if you want to get into it, let's get into it . . . since I hate the tone of the response as though you are talking down to me. I see that tone with others too and it gets old quick

OK so you didn't say anti-christ. Reading between the lines, you are talking about Ben as though he is one notch below anti-christ. So be dismayed all you want, reading through this thread I read a serious agenda against Ben that goes beyond trying to call him out for using other articles. I rarely see someone post with as much disdain for someone . . . and this is a basketball forum that had Felton and Bonzi as players at one time.

You want to say words have meaning and you didn't say anti-christ. Give me a break. Your whole point about "By Ben Golliver" is while it is technically right (he changed the title so his fingerprints are on it) it implies that he wrote it . . . so you can bitch about someone because of what they imply but we can't read beyond your words as to what they might imply?

If you do want me to "stick to your words" . . .. how do you know Ben is lazy. Do you know what he does all day, how long he spends on his job. You want the board to think that his job is to write all these articles and he is lazy because he doesn't. How do we know if his job is to write or bring hits to a website. Again you are making assumptions about his job even though he never said anything about his job duties. If his job is to bring hits to a website I wouldn't say he is lazy at all but rather just aggressive at his job.

Random Fact Alert: many websites are in the business to make money and they do that by generating hits to their website. It absolutely addresses your point as bringing an alternative as to why Ben is so aggressive . .. you are just so deaf with hate you don't want to listen to other explanations for 'by Ben Golliver" you have the only answer which is he is lazy no talent hack and anyone who says different is missing your point. Anther random fact alert, not everyone is going to agree with you on a forum board.

I might have skimmed through your whole poop analogy because rather than try to analyze what were trying to saying, you have lost me in this thread because all I read from you is hate on Ben.

And now just because you seem to really want to stick it to Ben . . . I think I'll click on his site for a while and encourage other to join to really see what Ben is all about rather than take some vindictive agenda ridden poster's word for it.

16. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    Hey Fanatic, we know that Treaty and Sly and maybe one other here have entertained Golliver at a couple of meetings, and feel their buddy is being criticized.

So that's my message to fanatic.

As for you, BF, the above fanatic, Treaty of Batum, probably owes Golliver a couple of drinks. He's just paying him back here.

17. BlayZa

BlayZa Misbehaving responsibly

Media/Advertisng
    am i wrong here in thinking that the 'by ben whateverthefuck' is just how the CMS displays user posts? ie it references the person who posts the item? i had a look around at some articles and they seem to credit in most cases the source article usually. This model of lifting news to rebadge with a comment or additional resourcing is mega common and the only reason why places like gawker etc exist. they play off the credibility of the base content then try grab whatever search coverage they can.

aside from that it's more a commentary style of journalism, its not pure - which i think is where things are falling down in this thread. e-journos are mostly not even in the same breath of consideration as traditional journos - but it is what it is, if you do the above, you're likely to get some credit - deserved or not.

personally, i think it's cheap and undeserved but the system supports and rewards it, and you can't knock someone for taking advantage. I don't know the guy at all, but deleting her post without comment is pretty shit imo - but then again a 5pg thread about it isn't that flattering either.

meh.

18. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

yuh tha woo b gud; thangx Danny..

barfo

19. The_Lillard_King

lol . . . you crack me up. (I was actually anti-Ben at the beginning of this thread but got tired of the constant name calling, so I flipped)

Besides if you ever have gone drinking with me you would know it would be Ben who would owe me drinks. :)

20. jlprk

retired, while you work!
    Are you saying Golliver is a pseudonym for an automated method at Blazers Edge which copies and pastes articles? Denny should look into this. It would save him time on the OT board when he argues with me. Maybe they send a robot to drink with Kiss and Sly. Did you say that a post from Blazer Fanatic got deleted? I missed that.