Bynum is better than Shaq

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Lakers' started by notmuchgame, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Real

Real Dumb and Dumbest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cpawfan @ Dec 26 2007, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 26 2007, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I don't see how it's over the top praise. So we can't be excited about the play of our young players? Last I checked, you Net fans are extremely excited about Sean Williams as well. I don't go onto your forum to post sarcastic remarks about him, do I?

And for the record, I don't see any problem with what I said. Bynum has already proven he can play in the league, Oden has not. Again, that doesn't mean Oden won't be better than Bynum one day, it's just that he hasn't proven he can play yet in the NBA because he is injured. I don't really see what I was wrong about, but maybe you can tell me?</div>

To be fair, there are Nets fans and Raptors fans that make sarcastic comments about the Sean Williams hype.

Saying that if you were picking a player for the future of your favorite team that you would pick Bynum over Oden is something I find very over the top. Bynum is a player that wasn't even dominate in HS, but has responded well to good coaching. He has demonstrated no ability to be a game changing defensive player.

</div>

Andrew Bynum wasn't even the best player in New Jersey his senior year.

2. Kid Chocolate

Kid Chocolate Suspended

Andrew Bynum wasn't even the best player on his HS team.

3. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid Chocolate @ Dec 27 2007, 02:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Andrew Bynum wasn't even the best player on his HS team.</div>Michael Jordan at one point got cut from his highschool basketball team, but some people actually consider him a good player despite not being one of the 15 best players trying out to be on the highschool basketball team .

4. o.iatlhawksfan

o.iatlhawksfan ROFLMFAO!!!!

I don't think high school has anything to do with this.

5. Kid Chocolate

Kid Chocolate Suspended

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lavalamp @ Dec 27 2007, 02:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid Chocolate @ Dec 27 2007, 02:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Andrew Bynum wasn't even the best player on his HS team.</div>Michael Jordan at one point got cut from his highschool basketball team, but some people actually consider him a good player despite not being one of the 15 best players trying out to be on the highschool basketball team .

</div>

But didn't MJ become the best player on that team? Yes.

6. Real

Real Dumb and Dumbest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lavalamp @ Dec 27 2007, 02:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid Chocolate @ Dec 27 2007, 02:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Andrew Bynum wasn't even the best player on his HS team.</div>Michael Jordan at one point got cut from his highschool basketball team, but some people actually consider him a good player despite not being one of the 15 best players trying out to be on the highschool basketball team .
    </div>

I don't think you understand. He wasn't the state player of the year. Brandon Costner who plays for NC State not only led his team to the TOC Championship against St. Patrick HS, an absolute powerhouse, with absolutely no bench whatsoever, but he was also AP, Gatorade, and Star Ledger state player of the year.

What does this have to do with anything? Greg Oden was no. 1 player in High School. All american first team in college. What is stopping Oden next season from putting up the same numbers of Bynum or better? (Besides the obvious injury problems). So don't give Oden shit for being injured. The Western Conference is lucky Oden is hurt, because what does that make the Blazers, the hottest team in the NBA, with him?

7. Kid Chocolate

Kid Chocolate Suspended

Bynum couldn't even lead his team to the county championship, missing a dunk at the end of the game that coulda put them up.

8. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid Chocolate @ Dec 27 2007, 02:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lavalamp @ Dec 27 2007, 02:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kid Chocolate @ Dec 27 2007, 02:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Andrew Bynum wasn't even the best player on his HS team.</div>Michael Jordan at one point got cut from his highschool basketball team, but some people actually consider him a good player despite not being one of the 15 best players trying out to be on the highschool basketball team .

</div>

But didn't MJ become the best player on that team? Yes.
    </div>MJ got cut, at least Bynum made the team every year. This just shows that highschool stats aren't what decide how good a player is, if they make it to the NBA.

I'm curious though, are there any other players on Bynum's team that are in the NBA?

9. Kid Chocolate

Kid Chocolate Suspended

Nope. No one else on that team is in the pro's.

Bynum better have made the team every year, he was 7 foot.

10. pegs

pegs My future wife.

Wow. I can't believe this thread was actually made.

How are you gonna take Shaq, who has been beaten up year after year, and is now 35, to Bynum, who's only been in the season for a few years, and is one of the youngest players in the NBA?

Still, if Shaq were healthy, this discussion wouldn't be happening.

And to say you'd take Bynum over Oden is a joke. That's like saying you'd take Derrick Coleman over David Robinson.

11. #1_War_Poet_ForLife

#1_War_Poet_ForLife The Baker of Cakes

I'm trying to figure something out. You told me it was stupid to compare Beasley and Collins, because of age, yet you compare Bynum and Shaq.

12. Really Lost One

Really Lost One Suspended

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GMJigga @ Dec 27 2007, 01:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>So paraphrasing here: why would you say that you'd pick Bynum over Oden because Oden is unproven, even though you also say that you think Oden will prove himself.</div>
    Yes I believe Oden will prove himself, I believe he will be a successful player in the NBA, just like I believe Bynum will be a successful player in the NBA. But I'd rather choose the player who's actually playing at a high level, instead of being out for the entire season. And for the record, nobody knows how good Oden will be. All I'm saying is, Bynum has already proven he can be successful at the next level, he has already proven he has the potential to be a star in the league, while Oden has not. Which is why I would choose Bynum over Oden. Again, it's just my opinion, why you guys are giving me such a hard time about it is ridiculous.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Wow. I can't believe this thread was actually made.

How are you gonna take Shaq, who has been beaten up year after year, and is now 35, to Bynum, who's only been in the season for a few years, and is one of the youngest players in the NBA?

Still, if Shaq were healthy, this discussion wouldn't be happening.

And to say you'd take Bynum over Oden is a joke. That's like saying you'd take Derrick Coleman over David Robinson.</div>
    You don't believe this thread was actually made? First of all, I didn't make the thread. Second of all, why is it unbelievable? Shaq was a former Laker, Bynum is a current Laker. Of course there will be comparisons between the two. And for the record, nobody is saying Bynum will be better than Shaq, all we're saying is, Bynum is having a better season than Shaq, and that's a fact (hence "in 2007-2008").

And also, Greg Oden is now David Robinson? So apparently Oden can be a top player in the league without even playing a single game. Wow. That's a first. Apparently Oden will be absolutely dominant over Bynum, even though he hasn't even played a single game. Wow. So why don't we just save time and put him in the hall of fame then. It's obvious the guy doesn't need to prove himself. His name is Greg Oden, so he's automatically fifty times better than everyone else

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MyNetsForLife @ Dec 27 2007, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'm trying to figure something out. You told me it was stupid to compare Beasley and Collins, because of age, yet you compare Bynum and Shaq.</div>
    Who started the thread? Not me. And we're comparing the play of Bynum and Shaq in the 07-08 season. It's obvious Bynum is having a better season, just look at the stats. I still find it funny because you guys continue to bash my opinion, and haven't given me any convincing arguments as to why my opinion is so stupid. Oden was great in college, in high school? Fine. I don't care if Bynum never made his high school team, and I don't care if Bynum couldn't lead his high school team to a single win. It doesn't matter. None of that matters when you make the NBA, and so far, Bynum is having a very successful season, has he not? You guys continue to bring up how Oden is so much better than Bynum, and the only supporting facts you have are how good he has been in high school or college. Well I don't care about that, when you're in the NBA, nobody cares about that. The way I see it, both are going to be very successful players in the league, and I'll take my chances with Bynum

Bynum is already having a successful season, while Oden is not. Instead, he is out for the season and has already gotten micro-fracture surgery at such a young age. Play it off all you’d like, but yes that is a red flag, or at least in my opinion it is. Had Bynum gotten injured for his entire rookie season, you guys would be saying he has the potential to be an injury prone player. Yet if the same thing happens to Oden, it doesn’t matter, it doesn’t even concern you.

13. Brand New

Brand New so wavy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MyNetsForLife @ Dec 27 2007, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'm trying to figure something out. You told me it was stupid to compare Beasley and Collins, because of age, yet you compare Bynum and Shaq.</div>
    I don't know if you could read or not but we are comparing Shaq and Bynum 2007-2008, not there entire career.

14. Really Lost One

And just for the record, I'll say it once again, I don't care what Oden did in high school and college, none of that matters in the NBA. I believe Oden will be successful in the NBA, and I believe Bynum will be successful in the NBA. This is just my opinion, and I'm sorry if you guys don't like it, but I'd at this point, I'd rather choose Bynum. Again, if two years down the road, Oden becomes so much better than Bynum, you guys can bump up this thread and embarrass the hell out of me, I don't care. You guys can also ban me from the site if you'd like. lol. Quite honestly I'm sick and tired of this topic. It's been what, six pages? And we aren't getting anywhere. I'll stick with my opinion, and you can stick with yours. If you want to continue debating, then fine. But after six pages, nothing has been accomplished, and I don't think anything will be accomplished in another six pages either

15. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Return of the Raider @ Dec 26 2007, 01:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I went to the LAL @ GSW game this month. Bynum is really good, but even a center-less athletic fast team can overcome him (GSW won). Kobe is propping up Bynum. Without Kobe, you would not know Bynum. Bynum....clap!</div>

I'm not sure about this. Obviously, everyone on the court benefits from the attention Kobe draws and he does make the game easier for Bynum. However, Bynum has played well when Kobe has been injured or when Bynum was coming off the bench playing with the second unit.

I think they've both benefited by playing together and you can see the chemistry growing from game to game. There's a lot of smiles and embracing on the court this season instead of ice cold glares and internal fighting. This team has been amazing to watch and is quickly becoming one of my favorite Laker squads.

I agree Bynum is clearly better than Shaq NOW. I don't think Shaq is motivated to playing basketball anymore. He gives up on plays, doesn't defend with any passion, and isn't fighting for low block position.

I'm starting to wonder how much of an emotional drain his divorce has been on him this season.

16. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

I don't want to go off topic, but talking about plays off and giving up already...Dwyane Wade. Did anybody see him last night? That final possession. He doesn't give a damn anymore. That isn't a real champion, a real winner. F*ckin baby...how can anybody support him?

17. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brian)</div><div class='quotemain'>You don't believe this thread was actually made? First of all, I didn't make the thread. Second of all, why is it unbelievable? Shaq was a former Laker, Bynum is a current Laker. Of course there will be comparisons between the two. And for the record, nobody is saying Bynum will be better than Shaq, all we're saying is, Bynum is having a better season than Shaq, and that's a fact (hence "in 2007-2008").

And also, Greg Oden is now David Robinson? So apparently Oden can be a top player in the league without even playing a single game. Wow. That's a first. Apparently Oden will be absolutely dominant over Bynum, even though he hasn't even played a single game. Wow. So why don't we just save time and put him in the hall of fame then. It's obvious the guy doesn't need to prove himself. His name is Greg Oden, so he's automatically fifty times better than everyone else</div>

Way to take what I said and put it in a completely different context. You skewed what I said, and you know it.

Robinson vs. Coleman is comparing one of those guys you rarely see come along in the NBA, one of those guys that completely changes games with his play; to just another big man who can average 20/10 but can't completely change games and get his teams to wins (without the help of a superstar).

Seems to me the best Bynum could do is just being another all-star, rather than Oden, who has the potential to become a superstar.

If you don't understand what I'm saying, why not just ask "what do you mean by that?" instead of completely skew my words; thereby making yourself look ignorant.

18. Really Lost One

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peg182 @ Dec 27 2007, 10:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Way to take what I said and put it in a completely different context. You skewed what I said, and you know it.

Robinson vs. Coleman is comparing one of those guys you rarely see come along in the NBA, one of those guys that completely changes games with his play; to just another big man who can average 20/10 but can't completely change games and get his teams to wins (without the help of a superstar).

Seems to me the best Bynum could do is just being another all-star, rather than Oden, who has the potential to become a superstar.

If you don't understand what I'm saying, why not just ask "what do you mean by that?" instead of completely skew my words; thereby making yourself look ignorant.</div>
    How am I ignorant? Just because I didn't understand your post the first time makes me ignorant? First all, why you chose to compare Bynum to Derrick Coleman is questionable. Coleman is considered an under-acheiver with no work ethic and overweight. Bynum has shown he has the work ethic and detirmination to be a star. And as far as the David Robinson comparison goes, well that's just your opinion. Personally, I don't see how you can rate someone who hasn't even stepped a single foot onto an NBA court David Robinson, and then come around and compare someone who is having a very successful season in the NBA to Derrick Coleman. Especially since Bynum has none of the characteristics that Coleman had (poor attitude, poor work ethic)

Anyways, sorry for misunderstanding your post. Personally, I didn't think it was a big deal and I didn't know I would piss you off so much