Politics Cable news is driving this country towards war

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by Natebishop3, Jan 19, 2021.

1. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

@UncleCliffy'sDaddy well said. Honestly, i just think these people are afraid of America becoming more brown. The constant dog-whistling is gonna start falling on deaf years.

On a related note, it makes me really how happy some of these people are freaking out about Kamala.

2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

stand up for Mitt Romney and Liz Cheney..they didn't sell out or become liberals to speak the truth

3. illmatic99

or hell even Moscow Mitch. It's a sad day when freaking George Bush is a voice of reason. I hated that guy but he's not an overt racist at least and has SOME humanity.

And stop giving Ted Cruz and Jim Jordan platforms to spew their nonsense. Stop letting women from QAnon run (and WIN) Congressional seats on your platform. Call them out!

Phatguysrule, RR7 and riverman like this.
  4. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why you're pushing so hard against the idea there is racism and that the R party has been a safe harbor for them, under trump. That's obvious

and you need to look no further than the 3 decade campaign of voter suppression by the R's. All these voter ID laws and other tactics like purging voter roles they have used to depress minority voting is institutional racism. Only 1 party has been doing that

but since you seem to have been triggered by CNN talking about reality, perhaps in a hyperbolic way, maybe we can inject a little context into the racism kerfuffle. And I'm just talking from my ignorant perspective

for me, there seems to be 4 levels of race consciousness:

1 - bias
    2 - prejudice
    3 - bigotry
    4 - racism

1- I think everybody on earth has bias. White-black-brown. Maybe there is an exception for the blind (can I say that?). But the first thing we all see is whether or not that person in front of us, is like us. I think bias is rather benign, especially if we acknowledge it about ourselves

2 - bias is the gateway drug to prejudice and prejudice is not benign. It's an easily reached personal failing. And again, the most important tool used against prejudice is to just accept your failure and work to correct it

3- bigotry is willful. It's deliberate. It's being prejudiced and not giving a shit that you are. It's a hateful condition and bigots are fucking assholes

4- Racism is bigotry supported by the power of institutions, government, and conventions. It's bigoted assholes joined together engaging in suppression, hate, propaganda, and denial. That's where the R's come in because they have deliberately used prejudice and bigotry as wedges to secure their own power. Look up the Southern Strategy

yeah, that's mostly out of my colon but it defines where I'm at on this. I'm an old white guy and I know I have bias, and probably prejudice I haven't recognized

and I have to say, I'm not sure why anybody would get real upset by a cable 'news' network conducting a campaign against racism. It's been the scourge of our nation. There was 240 years of slavery prior to the civil war. After the war we launched reconstruction and Jim Crow at the same time we were carrying on partial genocide of our indigenous tribes. Then we had the exploitation of Chinese labor. It took 100 years after the war before we passed a Civil Rights act. We interned the Japanese during WWII.

And now the R's are upset they are tarnished with the racism label after so many of them supported a president who interned people at the southern border and stole children from their parents? really?

if the R's don't want to be labeled racists, then maybe they should jettison racist policies and stop using code-words and racial wedges to try and win elections

finally...fuck all this both sides bullshit because it's false equivalency

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  5. illmatic99

I wonder what party she belongs to

THE HCP and riverman like this.
  6. illmatic99

like what kinda dystopian world do we live in when people can't see the obvious.

riverman likes this.
  7. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I'm not pushing against that at all. I'm trying to talk people out of labeling all, or a majority of Trump voters as racist.

VanillaGorilla likes this.
  8. Natebishop3

Because, as I said in an earlier post, if we start to write off 70 million Americans as racist, what ground does that leave us to work on? There has to be a middle ground. We have to find a way to the middle so things can be accomplished. Or the alternative, as I stated in my first post, is our country being pushed to another civil war because they can't get along.

9. illmatic99

the country is being pushed to a civil war because one party is scared that their way of life is changing and lying like mad to their supporters. and the easiest targets to attack are people that don't look/speak/pray like them.

the media is just that. a MEDIUM to convey information. whatever biases they hold, they're not the ones who started it.

your outrage is mistargeted.

10. Natebishop3

I watched Fox for a while last night. All I heard was that the democrats are trying to destroy their way of life. It's the Democrats that stole the election (or that's what they're being told), it's the democrats who want to take away their guns, it's the democrats who want to take over the country. Not the Muslims or the brown people. They're building up the Democratic party as the enemy that wants to destroy their way of life.

Meanwhile you're just parroting back exactly what I told you. CNN is telling people the GOP is a bunch of racist Nazis. So both networks are creating a divide that will be difficult to come back from...... and here you are just basically confirming it.

11. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I watch CNN occasionally and I've never seen them say that all trump voters are racist. I can't recall even seeing them suggest a majority are

but trump was a racist and a bigot. And many in his white house and cabinet were too. And trump was the leader of a party that marched in lockstep behind him with very few exceptions. In other words, in a world of rough justice, if you're marching in the racist parade...fuck your feelings

(not talking about you specifically NB)

riverman and illmatic99 like this.
  12. illmatic99

lol what are you talking about? did you miss when I posted this:

what is that first statement?

I'll retract that second one when you show me a Neo Nazi Democratic congressional member.

13. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Every Trump supporter is not an explicit racist. But every Trump supporter is either a racist or accepting of racists. Which means you can't complain about being painted with a broad brush. It's a technical distinction without a particularly meaningful difference to say, "Hey, I'm not racist, I'm just willing to support racists in politics."

14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

dude your question was "what do you propose a non Trump supporting conservative do?"......when you got an answer you say "who says some of us don't do this?".....that's a different question...answer...almost everybody says that....those that already do don't need to ask the first question..

Phatguysrule likes this.
  15. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

The media got Trump elected. I'll never forget the 2016 primaries where all they did in debates and otherwise was focus on Donnie. Like why are they giving this clown so much airtime? Front and center in all the debates, making everything about him.

Phatguysrule and Orion Bailey like this.
  16. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I think reality tv got Donnie elected...they would've elected Oprah for the same reason...had nothing to do with qualifications...it was tv ratings masked as political ambition

HailBlazers likes this.
  17. Natebishop3

I'm not interested in getting into arguments with you guys about who is what and what the motivations are of every Trump voter. Or even most Trump voters.

What this entire thread is about is how our country is being pitted against one another and the media is exacerbating that problem. Some of the posts in this thread seem to confirm that theory.

18. riverman

riverman Writing Team

well...we are all connected by some form of media especially here on this forum. it's not the media I think you are having such issues with as the marketing advertisers who pollute it whether it's some TV talking head or his rock star fan....pretty wide range of "media" to control people who are just too lazy to think for themselves. Nobody has to buy the snake oil but it's always been there and always will be...George Carlin has a great bit about how people are mindlessly buying into shit they don't need. Others like our own el presidente here...just want to watch the world burn...maris wants you to realize you are a slave to the deep state and Sly thinks he's a dog....yet this is my crowd...

19. Natebishop3

Didn't the Wikileaks pretty much confirm that Hillary got him elected? She was the one who got him national coverage, which gave him legitimacy and spread his message. I'd have to go back and read it again because it was four years ago, but my understanding was that her campaign felt that he was a beatable candidate with the Democrats split over the primaries.

Their plan was to get him the nomination and then release all the tapes of him saying horrible things.... except by that point it didn't matter because the guy could literally say anything without any consequences. That was my understanding anyway. I might be wrong.

20. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Hillary was too smug...her sleazy way of beating Bernie hurt her and Comey hurt her in that election...she slept walked through that campaign...Trump was really the "fuck you Hillary" response..Trump started his dog whistle fan base with the birther claims against Obama....he insulted the first black president and that got him a ton of fans who were not happy that a black man was elected...they weren't crazy about a woman getting elected either.....the dems blew it running Hillary anyway...she had too much Bill baggage and the GOP had a ton of dirt on the Clintons going way back.

Phatguysrule likes this.