Can someone tell me what our record is???

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by yenniedn, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Crimson the Cat

Crimson the Cat Well-Known Member

Experience, the best Point Guard on the planet, and players knowing their roles.

2. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

Perhaps my expectations rare too high. I'm cool with that, and I'm cool with people disagreeing (I'm pretty sure I've never talked down to someone who said we'll win "only" 48 games).

What I generally write posts about are those things that I see while watching the game (and NOT just our games). As I've said before...you can talk all you want to about "integrating Bayless and Oden and Rudy with LMA and Roy" and "Webs and Oden have missed significant stretches", but when it comes down to it, our team has not played well in the last two games. A bunch of our players are in extended slumps, to the point that the coach and players themselves are talking about how bad they're playing. But I'm the one getting attacked, told my expectations are high? I'm told to
    If you think the team is playing well, you're not going to listen to me, so I respect that you won't agree with my posts. But the crazy thing is that Quick, Nate, 95.5, LMA, Roy and just about anyone else remotely associated is saying that they're not playing well. That they're playing "sloppy", that the wins are "difficult".

How is talking about what we should improve "b!tching?" Because I don't believe that everything's pie-in-the-sky because your low predictions are being realized?

My "completely unrealistic" expectations are lower than what Brandon Roy's expectations are. KP wouldn't tell me what his were, though he has them tacked to his mirror or something. I find it hard to think, though, that "sloppy" play in "difficult" wins is meeting the expectations the team had for itself, or is going to be tolerated going forward.

And why do I have to root for my team to be mediocre? New Orleans fans got to watch a good young product last year. If we're playing well and losing, them's the breaks. If we're not playing as well as we should be, that's on the team. And it seems as if most associated with the team agree with me.

3. Crimson the Cat

It's funny. I actually believe the Blazers will get to the WCF's this year. I see signs of greatness right now. They just can't maintain it yet. I think we'll see them hit their maximum potential in a couple of months though. Not now.

4. BrianFromWA

It is a myth to keep bringing it up. Yes, we went 2-3 in the "hardest opening schedule in NBA history" and I'm happy for that. It's hardly "fantastic", but I'm happy with it. To bring up that yesterday's game was a good game for us because we got a win and added to the win total during the "HOSINBAH" isn't right. We're 10 games past that. We're 8th in SOS. That's good. And I'm much happier with 9-6 than 6-9. But that doesn't mean we're playing well. Listen to Roy and Nate last night. They both said that "we have to play better".

I guess I just have to take solace in the fact that the coach and star player have expectations as high as mine. Sorry if I inconvenienced anyone who wants to see a poorly played game where we squeak out wins against mediocre-to-bad teams. Thanks to those who engaged in good debate. I always appreciate it. It keeps me on my toes.

5. Crimson the Cat

The last two games that haven't played well, but that doesn't mean that the team hasn't played well for the season so far. It's two games. They've had other set back last year and even this year and have corrected them. It's going to take time. Rome wasn't built in day and young teams don't win championships.

6. BrianFromWA

And I'm fine with that. But it's like with some of the kids I tutor (follow me on this, may not be the best analogy):

If you have a kid who's really struggling, you're patient with him, keep working with him, try different ways of helping him learn the material.

If you are working with a genius who won't turn in homework, it pi$$es you off.

I see games like @SAC, and home vs. CHI and realize that we're geniuses. I don't think anyone's going to say that we don't have the talent. Games like yesterday are us not turning in homework, not us struggling with learning.

7. Crimson the Cat

A myth would be a misinterpretation of the truth. This is a fact. It isn't a myth.

Well I never said that it was a good win for us. It was an ugly win. They do have to play better. And for most of the season, they have. And for most of the rest of the season, they will.

There is a small part of me though that is happy with how they turned a terrible outing into a win. It could have been worse, right? They could have lost. The team definitely has a lot to work on. I don't think any of us think they're near perfect.

I think you might be misconstruing things a bit. I'm not going to pretend to know what exactly is going on in Nate's and Brandon's minds. Those comments by them don't support your comments that you've made on this forum. They expect to play better than they did last night. That's all they said.

8. Crimson the Cat

You could be dead on. I just don't see it that way. Anyway, like I said, I really enjoy your takes and I hope that I didn't come off as an asshole. As you, I get pretty passionate about the team.

Go Blazers!

9. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Not sure if you have kids or not, but I do, and when they have a tough day and feel down, I certainly don't berate them to everyone who will listen because they did not live up to my expectations. Also, if you think you have a genius on your hands without any proof other than your opinion, well, that's a "you" problem as well.

10. yenniedn

yenniedn Transplanted Blazer Fan

Enterprise Software Sales
    I don't really care what the players and coaches say on the radio and TV because it's usually just player-speak or coach-talk.

The next time I hear pro athlete or his head coach get on TV and say: "we're extremely content with everything and are looking to coast from here on out..." - well, that would be the first time ever.

Coaches and players are usually just going to give you the same gibberish: "we're working on this or that", "there's room for improvement", "we're not quite happy with this" etc etc.

That's the difference between them and us. They're paid many millions to be world class athletes; the absolute best in the world at what they do. Us? We're not really paid anything to sit on our asses and watch them. So their expectations, mindset and what they say to those around them are entirely different than ours - we're just fans playing Tuesday Afternoon Quarterbacks.

11. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

we don't set the bar. Our discussions do not factor in one tiny bit to those that do. They're going to do what they're going to do regardless.

To the Hornets comparison... I disagree that this club is at least equal to last years Hornets. Paul is a cut above Roy and most of their players were established vets who'd been on that club for longer then the principles have been in Portland. How many rookies were they working into their rotation last year? Portland has 3 rooks who will probably easily eclipse Julian Wright's 11 MPG. A lessor lead guy plus more variables... being as good/successful as they were last year would be an amazing accomplishment in my eyes.

STOMP

12. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Chris Paul was 3rd in the MVP vote last year. He was dominant. Last year in the All NBA voting Paul received 124 votes while Roy got 1. Then as now Brandon is more along the lines of a borderline AS then 1st team All-NBA.

STOMP

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  13. MrJayremmie

MrJayremmie Well-Known Member

LOL! I'm a joke... I usually like to list a broad number to make sure i'm right or close to it!

14. yenniedn

Hey hey . . . been away the last couple of days for the holiday and have not posted much.

So to answer my own question in the thread title:

WE'RE 11-6!!!

How's that for a team not playing well???

15. MrJayremmie

16. yenniedn

Oops, I stand corrected . . . they're actually 12-6.

These uninspired underachievers really need to start playing up to their potential!!! ;)

17. MrJayremmie

12-6!!! Yay!!!!!!! Go blazzzzzzzersssssssss!!!

18. alex42083

alex42083 Thanks Brandon

Writing about sports
    12-6 is unbelievable at this point.
    And now the guys are just playing basketball. The novelty of Greg is wearing off and he's just playing, the novelty of Rudy is kind of wearing off, and the guys are just trying to find their way and win. Next up is seeing how Martell fits in the puzzle, and just go from there.

19. yenniedn

To hell with it, I can't stand prosperity. Let's bring back last week - let's trade LMA for Tyrus Thomas. Let's trade Outlaw for new terry cloth towels. Let's package Blake, Sergio, Bayless and Raef for Jarret Jack!

Oh wait, what am I saying? I'll just sit back and wait until the next loss or the next game we don't win by 13 points and all of that will come back on its own . . . it's just a matter of time.

20. BrianFromWA

BTW-The suggestions were LMA for Bosh. Outlaw for Miller. Blake, Bayless and Raef for Nash. At least the ones I saw.

And each time we play like crap (see GSW, SAC, et al) there will be people pointing out to the silver-lining fans how it could have been better. If that's not your style, it's cool. Each time we win by 40, you'll see people talking about how well we played. I don't know how you expect people to turn off their analysis receptors or reasoning once the team plays like crap, since they need our "support".

And if you're happy at 12-6...wouldn't you be happier at 14-4 or so and a chance at more home playoff games? I would.