Canzano: KP has to do something with Raef

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Oct 30, 2008.

1. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

maybe for something like farmar/bynum, otherwise no chance. if lebron is going the cavs will be blowing up and rebuilding, and looking for young stars & lottery picks.

2. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

good luck getting kobe to agree to that.

3. DaRizzle

DaRizzle BLAKER

From a previous thread I wrote:

4. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

I think the problem with Greg is everyone is dying to see what he can do. SO every time he misses action, it has to be talked about and analyzed to death . . . but again that is due to the fact everyone is dying to see him action.

I'm not going to say all his injuries can be connectd to show a trend, but here is the trend I see:

Individual workout by Blazers-poor performance due to cold
    Summer league-missed games due tonsils
    '07 82 games-missed due to injury
    '08 First 10 games-missed due to injury
    (I forget if he missed any games during pre-season, but I think they held him out of the back to back I because of the ankle)

I see a pattern or trend or whatever. It's going to take a long time before you can say he has played more games than he has missed due to injury. My screen name shows I'm behind the guy and hoping he is all what they say he was going to be. But right now . . . it is so not_GO_time

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  5. Jack RamsaysPants

Jack RamsaysPants Member

Nice colds and influenza are now on par with broken bones.

6. The_Lillard_King

If that's about my posts, you missed my point. It's not about broken bones at all . . . in fact broken bones are not Greg's problem.

I'm just saying that Oden has missed a hell of a lot of games for various aliments and injuries.

7. crowTrobot

crowTrobot die comcast

kobe wanting to sign with the cavs is just wishful thinking - they're a lottery team without lebron, and if kobe is going he will certainly have better options.

now if you want to start talking about 3-way trades that opens up some realistic possibilites.

8. Jack RamsaysPants

Jack RamsaysPants Member

Actually he missed 82 for one injury, and will likely miss 7 or 8 from another. Is he injury prone? I really can't say yet. to me the micro-fracture was something that a player would have played with for years before addressing, but the FO decided to address it early. People get sick sometimes, everyone does, and I don't think it's an indication of frailty.

And yes and no my post was about yours, I am so freakin ill of hearing people talk about every thing like it's proof of him being Sam Bowie.

9. The_Lillard_King

I don't quite get this analysis of Greg playing through the knee pain. He stopped practicing and had explaratory surgery because he was experiencing swelling and had pain in the knee. Was he going to play his entire career with knee pain?

In his first 80 NBA games of his career, he has missed them due to two injuries. And that coming off a college season where he played with a boken hand . . . don't hate the posters, hate the player :D

10. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    These are just padding, to suit your point. Missing a workout due to feeling unwell and having one's tonsils out don't have anything to do with Oden's health. Both "afflictions" have been suffered by a vast amount of the population and are filed under "side effects of being alive."

These count, but hardly point to a trend, since they were unconnected. Bad luck, sure, but they neither point to a chronic condition (since they were two different parts of his body) and they aren't numerous enough to imply being injury-prone.

11. The_Lillard_King

Padding huh . . . to the idea that Oden has missed a lot of games?

Tell you what, padding or no padding, point to performances by Oden where he was not ailing in some manner . . . starting all the way back to pre-draft workouts.

Bad luck is an understatement. Can you think of another #1 pick that missed the first 90 games of their career . . . I'm not a basketball historian, but I beleive Oden is making history here.

Of course there is Len Bias . . .

12. The_Lillard_King

For the record, I'm done harping on Oden (at least for the night:) ).

I'm taking this side because just as posters are aggravated that Oden is already being labeled injury prone or Bowie, there are as many posters who refuse to acknowledge that there are many red flags with Oden.

Is he injury prone? Sure it's too early to tell. But is it possible we have an injury prone center? How can one deny that thre are serious concerns and red flags when it comes to his career thus far. To act like posters are pulling this injury prone term out of thin air is being blind to everything that has happened in the last 2-3 years.

I'm out . . . Go Blazers (and Oden).

13. ucatchtrout

ucatchtrout Well-Known Member

Because its Canzano doing the pressuring.

Bald faced bastard has to have something to talk about.... and when there isn't enough.... he stirs some shit up.

14. Furball

Furball Member

Wow, way to take this way off topic.

I think that we will all be pretty disappointed at the trade deadline. Personally, I can't really think of anyone we legitimately get that wouldn't either destroy our salary cap or our team chemistry. I heard a guy on Gavin talking about how Shawn Marion is a complete knucklehead. And Carmelo just sat out two games for a DUI not to mention various other infractions. I think Kevin will do the same thing Nash did with expiring contracts like Damon's. Sit on it and clear some space.

15. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    To the idea that Oden has suffered a litany of health problems.

Post-draft workouts and this exhibition season. Yes, it's significant bad luck that he followed a major knee surgery (the surgery was major, the injury wasn't) with a minor foot injury, but those two things don't add up to proof positive that he can't stay healthy.

I'm really not even sure what the point of this debate is. He's clearly not going to be jettisoned right now, so it's not like we're debating what the Blazers' course of action should be. We'll have the rest of the season to see what transpires. By the end of this season, we'll have a lot more information, for good or ill. Starting the "Oden looks like he can't ever stay healthy" drumbeat now seems way premature and to no end.

16. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

I have a good feeling KP will use the expiring. make a trade with say Sergio, picks (we have a multitude of them in the 2nd round), Outlaw and Raef for something.

17. Minstrel

User Interface Designer
    I like Rudy Gay, too. Among other players who aren't going to be available, like Luol Deng, Andre Iguodala and even LeBron James.

Canzano's idea of turning Raef LaFrentz into a star-caliber small forward is great. Now, if only other teams were willing to hand over star-caliber small forwards.

Pritchard isn't under any new pressure. Whether or not Oden's career is over (as some seem to believe), Pritchard's mandate is to improve the long-term talent on this team. That mission doesn't change whether Portland has Oden or not. If something that offers long-term talent gain comes along, Pritchard will surely look into it. It didn't take Oden hurting himself to make that light go on in Pritchard's brain.

18. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

The mere fact that you started out your thread with the word Canzano makes this thread pointless!

19. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Using Raef's contract to try and upgrade the SF position is not a new concept.