Capitals try to put Lightning in 2-0 hole

Discussion in 'EAST: Metropolitan Division' started by truebluefan, May 13, 2018.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The Washington Capitals beat the Tampa Bay Lightning at their own game to open the Eastern Conference final.

Now Tampa Bay has to find a way to rediscover itself in Sunday's Game 2 to avoid falling into a hole that might be too deep to climb out of in the quest to return to the Stanley Cup Final for the second time in four seasons.

Washington, meanwhile, looked like a team in control despite participating in the Eastern Conference final for the first time in the Alex Ovechkin era. The Capitals set the tone in the opening game of the best-of-seven series, which they will look to continue Sunday while once again expecting to be withou center Nicklas Backstrom. He has missed the past two games and remains day to day with a hand injury.

"I just think it's been a real good commitment, attention to detail," Washington coach Barry Trotz said. "All of those things. Just a team-wide commitment. I think we're playing the full 200 feet that you need to play at playoff time and you're getting the goaltending you need and you're getting the commitment and you're getting the work ethic and you're getting the discipline and detail.

"All of those things combined, you have a chance every night if you do that."

The Capitals, who haven't been to a conference final since winning the Eastern Conference title in 1998, held the Lightning to 10 shots on goal through the first two periods as they controlled the game while building a four-goal lead.

"I think we just realized we just have to play our way," said Ovechkin, who had a goal and an assist in Friday's 4-2 victory. "It doesn't matter which position we are, which round it is and you can see the effort in the guys. Everybody was all in and everybody was paying the price. ... We tried to create a moment on our side and not give them life."

read more http://www.espn.com/nhl/preview?gameId=401032755