Carlesimo Update; Mchale lashes out at Garnett

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by Linkin, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Linkin

Linkin JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">A little birdie says the Timberwolves will have to convince star Kevin Garnett that hiring P.J. Carlesimo as coach would be a prudent decision. Until then, Carlesimo's future with the Wolves is uncertain.

Wolves vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale wants Carlesimo, an assistant with the San Antonio Spurs. But team owner Glen Taylor did not make an offer while visiting Carlesimo in San Antonio the other day, presumably because of Garnett's reluctance. Garnett recently met with Taylor about Carlesimo and did not endorse his hiring.

Word is McHale isn't thrilled about Garnett's lack of approval of Carlesimo.

Insiders say Garnett would approve former Cleveland coach Paul Silas, who did not impress the Wolves during a recent telephone interview, or one of the Wolves' current assistant coaches.</div>
    Link

2. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

I don't blame KG for not wanting Carlisemo as a coach. Carlisemo has failed twice as a head coach. The success of the Spurs doesn't have much to do with PJ, and more to do with Popovich and their GM. I still think the best choices would be Silas and Musselman. Silas is a great big man coach and knows how to build a playoff team. He might be one of the few coaches who could motivate Kandi man. I also like Musselman because he's a competitive coach and I could see him and KG really hitting it off. Musselmen is a no-nonsense coach and won't tolerate players slacking. He's not afraid to put players in check and stick them in his dog house.

3. playmaker15

playmaker15 JBB Droppin Dimes

Yea I don't think he's cut out to be a head coach. I see him staying in San Antonio. IF the Franchise aint happy with the move Mchale probably wont make the move.

4. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting dunkaholic32:</div><div class="quote_post">Yea I don't think he's cut out to be a head coach. I see him staying in San Antonio. IF the Franchise aint happy with the move Mchale probably wont make the move.</div>
    I don't understand the logic behind this one. You have a ton of good coaches to choose from. Why go after somebody who hasn't coached in years, and has a bad record with getting along with his players. I mean, you mine as well bring back Bill Fitch to coach the Wolves. It's a shame, because I know the Wolves can be something special. I just don't understand. Why not bring in somebody with experience and a history of winning, like Paul Silas. He's a no-nonsense type of coach, who gets respect from his players. Instead, the Wolves are interviewing people like John Lucas. You have to be kidding me [​IMG] [​IMG] . John Lucas? P.J Carlismeo? C'mon guys.

5. playmaker15

playmaker15 JBB Droppin Dimes

Have they even tried PHil Jackson. I think he'd be a good match for this team because hes coached i nthe West and I think he and KG could really get along.

6. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting dunkaholic32:</div><div class="quote_post">Have they even tried PHil Jackson. I think he'd be a good match for this team because hes coached i nthe West and I think he and KG could really get along.</div>I think Phil back to the Lakers is as close to a done deal as you can get at this point. The only thing that I think will prevent it from happening is if Kobe doesn't want it to happen. However, Kupchak, Buss, and the rest of the front office are continuing to say that Kobe has no say in the next coach and he won't control who they bring in. However, Phil to Minny wouldn't work too well. They're in a real rut right now. KG isn't happy. Wally might be leaving. I thought I heard somewhere that Jason Williams (Memphis) was going to be traded for Cassell. From what I understand, Spree is all but gone. 'Kandi is crap. Hudson isn't the same Hudson from a couple three seasons ago. All in all, the team is in a rut and could be worse than Los Angeles next year depending on the offseason happenings this year. I don't think Phil would want to walk into that job, even if it would give him the opportunity to coach KG.

7. the main event

the main event JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting dunkaholic32:</div><div class="quote_post">Have they even tried PHil Jackson. I think he'd be a good match for this team because hes coached i nthe West and I think he and KG could really get along.</div>
    in two weeks phil is back in LA and i beleive it's closed...i think KG is damn right...he knows there's a danger of another year going to waste under the coaching of PJ. KG want's the best that's possible,and with all da respect PJ aint the one and we all know that...no doubt KG won't refuse Silas,no doubt i know KG knows who's the best coach for he's team...

8. Henacy

Henacy JBB The Man like Sam

Not surprising, like I said in the other thread when the Wolves first started looking at PJ, that even if Sprewell left, it was going to be extremely hard for players who were in the league during the time the inncident happen with Sprewell, to buy into PJ Carlesmo. The players in this league talk and they know the real deal behind the Spree & PJ situation. And Iam pretty sure veteran guys would never be able to truely respect PJ 100% as their coach. If the Mchale & Wolves are electing PJ to be their coach, they are going to have to blow this team up completely. And start over with young guys who arent familiar with the situation. And would be willing to buy into Pj's style.

9. Henacy

Henacy JBB The Man like Sam

Update: Carlesimo likely not the next Wolves coach; Mchale lashes out at KG

<font size="3">Update:</font>

<div align="center"><div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Minnesota-Owner Glen Taylor heeded the advice of Kevin Garnett, who wanted no parts of Spurs assistant coach PJ Carlesimo. Gee, wonder where KG would have come to that conclusion? Perhaps a talk with Latrell Sprewell? In doing so, Taylor also went against wishes of his V.P, Kevin Mchale. Mchale lashed out at Garnett in absentia, when he heard that Taylor had sided with his star player.</div> </div>

Article

--------------

Not very shocking that once KG spoke against PJ that the idea of him becoming the Wolves next coach would take a major hit. But it looks like Mchale is sick of KG running around playing GM. I dont think this will have any effect on their relationship tho..

10. Timberwolf

Timberwolf JBB JustBBall Member

All I have to say is Thank God! I am glad KG spoke up on this.

I am so glad P.J. did not get the job. I like P.J. and I wish him well as a coach for the next team, but he wasn't a great fit. I just don't think of him as a NBA coach. He might be a great assistant, but I just don't think he is a great coach. I give P.J. credit for trying to work his way back as a NBA coach by serving apprenticeship for Pop, but he should be coaching college.

As for P.J. being McHale's first choice, this shows you how inept McHale is. I am glad Glen decided to go after Dwayne Casey. Reportedly Taylor became intrigued about Casey and he decided Casey was the guy. I give McHale zero credit for hiring Casey.