OT CARS

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by EL PRESIDENTE, Mar 22, 2022.

1. Voodoo

Voodoo An American hero

Project Manager
    Admittedly I have not, but I have driven in enough cars with varying different interfaces and controls and I can say with a high level of confidence that I would very much hate the Tesla layout. From and ergonomics standpoint that is terrible, any time you need go through a number of menu options in the screen just to change a setting is aggravating. Some people may prefer the 'clean' look of a Tesla, but to me it looks boring and stale, like an operating room. I want my experience in the car to be easy to use and intuitive, and forcing me to go to the menu to change the speed of my windshield wipers is bad design IMO.

2. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

3. -Ace-

-Ace- Mostly lurking

Been looking at a new Kia Niro for the future. I drive a 2017 Hyundai Elantra I bought in October 2018, and I have had zero issues come up with it. Between work and now a family, it might be nice to have the extra space and get into the hybrid car category. Last week I started browsing online, and the next day while driving, I ended up both behind and next to two Niros. Maybe a sign?
    [​IMG]

Shogun X and Shaboid like this.
  4. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

My buddy has an RS7 sportback with a bangin system. So sick.

BoBoBREWSKI and THE HCP like this.
  5. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

That's two posts you've claimed Tesla wipers are controlled by menus on a screen. It's not, it's a button on the steering wheel stalk.

I've drive many cars as well, worked on cars, bought, fixed, flipped and sold them. I'm not the only one, Jay Leno is a legit car guy and loves Teslas.

New Acura MDX has a trackpad you have to swipe to adjust basic functions. My BMW X5 has a giant dial that you have to move all over to drill down into multiple confusing menus. It doesn't even have a dipstick for oil. The interface won't connect to anything online anymore. It only has 90k miles F15 prior generation body but is unsupported.

Wish I had bought a Tesla many years ago instead of that BMW. Tesla at least updates and supports their products. Ultimate driving machine my ass.

I could complain about Tesla endlessly. The FSD name is ridiculous. Autopilot phantom braking. Terrible customer service. Forcing the stupid yoke steering. Misaligned panels. Crappy paint. Smelly cabin filters.

All that crap and their physical manufacturing is probably 5+ years ahead of all competitions, with software 10 years ahead, and charging network 15 years ahead.

IMO the Model 3/Y screen, with the Tesla UI is one of the best, maybe even absolute best feature of these compelling vehicles.

6. SharpesTriumph

I could never buy a Kia/Hyundai. Just to many horrible engines and poor quality I've seen. If your experience is better, good luck. If I was going for a more value brand can't go wrong with Honda or Toyota. Kia/Hyundai are much more expensive when you consider true cost of ownership. Maybe I'd also look at Subaru if AWD is important.

7. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I kept my factory stereo in surprisingly. First car I’ve owned that I didn’t go aftermarket. I love it.

8. Voodoo

Voodoo An American hero

Project Manager

I am referencing what I have researched online. Everything I can find references having to go into the screen of the Tesla to adjust the wipers. I don't have a Tesla, so I am just referencing what I have read and or watched, are you saying this is no longer the case and they now have a window wiper control for the windshield wipers on a stick on the stock? If so that is a great change, as it is a much better human interface IMO for controlling them.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
  9. SharpesTriumph

Didnt watch the video, but theres probably additional settings and auto settings you can find on the screen. But if you just want to turn them on, its the button on the end of the stock as pictured;

[​IMG]

10. Voodoo

Voodoo An American hero

Project Manager
    I don't have anything against Tesla per se, they do a lot of things better than their competition. I agree that BMW and Acura also have terrible HMI's, you're referencing some of the automakers who aren't on the forefront of good design for HMIs. If you look at ones that have a good HMI you'll see that Tesla is not the worst, but they are certainly not the best. The fact that you have to do something in the center console that should be easily controlled

Here's my take -

Good:
    • Batteries and charging are class leading
    • Design leaders for EVs
    • OTA updates for their software with regular updates
    • New purchasing model with no middle man (dealerships)
    Bad:
    • HMI interface for a lot of controls such as the HVAC system
    • Questionable interior designs that are overly simple and minimalistic
    • The door handles, a great example of taking something not broken and trying to improve on it - but failing miserably in execution and making something simple worse and more complicated
    • Price
    • Misleading advertising on many things including range, self driving, etc
    • Manufacturing - you reference this as a strong point, but also note their body panels being misaligned. On a 'luxury' car this is flat out unacceptable, you can get a Corolla for $25k without these issues.
    Tesla is a market disrupter, they've done a lot of good for the industry and I appreciate what Tesla/Musk has done to the industry. Overall I think they've been a positive force that has made some significant changes that are pushing things forward in a good way. But they have made some very bad decisions IMO on design, and their marketing (or lack there of thanks Musk) is flat out lying (FSD) or at best misleading. All this said, Tesla is on my list of cars to consider purchasing as we're considering buying an EV, especially prior to the March changes to the tax plan from the IRA.

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  11. Voodoo

Voodoo An American hero

Project Manager
    The guy in the video states that if you want to change the intermittent wiper speed you need to go into the center console. This is what I was meaning in my OP regarding the Tesla wipers, which I may not have said very well. Everything I have read about them has confirmed that this is how it works. Can you confirm that this is accurate? IMO that is absolutely a terrible terrible design for a whole host of reasons if that is the case.

12. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

My wife and I bought a key and Nero a few months ago, it's what she wanted. It's been a fantastic car. I really enjoy it. Gets a solid 50 mi of the gallon in town and 40 on the highway. I've gotten it up to 90 a few times on the freeway and it holds straight and true. What was really surprising is if you put it in the sport mode it uses the electric and the gas engine both at the same time and it flies.

-Ace- and SharpesTriumph like this.
  13. SlyPokerDog

Not true at all. Kia and Hyundai have the $100,000 mi warranty, it's not a jack. It's a solid warranty. The wife had a Kia soul. Only problem that we had with it was we went to a gas station in Tigard, one on the freeway the car started sputtering died bad gas gas station owner was an ass Kia warranty covered it all. Not a problem

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  14. SlyPokerDog

I mean I totally get it. You like your Tesla and you see a lot of value in it. You're a very happy customer. That's awesome! You're also very happy customer with your wife. That doesn't mean that you think everybody should be with your wife. But what you have works for you. Doesn't mean it's going to work for others. If you follow the history of Honda and Toyota they put a product out there. It had problems and it continually got better. Kia followed that same path 10 years ago. Kia was a piece of s*** totally agree. They had some problems.

15. Voodoo

Voodoo An American hero

Project Manager
    Another thing about the Tesla design trend that is frustrating to me, is that most of the good aspects of Tesla are not being copied within the auto industry. Ironically though almost all of the worst aspects of Tesla designs are being copied.

Example 1 - Lexus NX door handles in the new generation of cars is dumb and overly complicated, same with the Mustang Mach E. Ugh, just put on working mechanical door handles please!

Example 2 - The new generation Audi interiors are beautiful, but they have gone backwards in functional design this generation. Historically Audi always valued usability with design, and married them into a beautiful AND functional system. The newest generations have followed Tesla and have chosen to prioritize the design over the usability, case in point they have made the HVAC controls all controlled by a screen which is a far worse experience than just switches or knobs for controlling them.

16. Voodoo

Voodoo An American hero

Project Manager
    I don't own a Tesla? And I have nothing against Tesla, I am just pointing out the areas in which their design choices are questionable.

17. SlyPokerDog

I meant that for Wesley Matthews. I'm sitting here poolside in the bright sun can barely see my screen, and I've had a few drinks.

Hoopguru and Voodoo like this.
  18. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

I don’t own a gun, but I’d get one if somebody tries to take away my V8 FAMS!

Hoopguru likes this.
  19. Voodoo

Voodoo An American hero

Project Manager
    What do you drive? An M5?

Haakzilla likes this.
  20. SharpesTriumph

I liked one of Jay Leno's comments on EV's long term impact to gas vehicle enthusiasts. He said the shift from gas vehicles to EV's will mirror some of the shift from horsedrawn carriage to cars, and how that changed peoples love for horses.

Back in the 1800's horses shit was all over the street. Some people liked horses, but they were more thought of as having utilitarian use for transportation. Then cars took over, and the streets cleared of shit, and horses went off to stables to be ridden, race, or hang out in the pasture. Horses actually became a passionate pastime that people enjoyed much more.

If EV's take over 90% of the auto market, we might have a much cleaner planet (although yes EV/electricity lifecycle has additional challenges). But lets say we get to where the vast majority of everyday transportation is EV instead of gas, just as the ICE replaced the horsedrawn carriage.

We might get to have a niche of passionate gas vehicle owners that love using their vehicles, working on them, racing them, etc just as we do with horses today. EV's could make gas vehicles a more enjoyable pastime.

So HCP, I'd think you should be able to cling to your V8 for a very very long time!

Hoopguru and THE HCP like this.