CBS Sports: Blazers poised for fast rebuild

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Shooter, Jul 5, 2015.

1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

No, this has not been a 15-year rebuild. They are separate eras:

First 2006-11: The "Roy rebuild", resulting in a three-year playoff run, cut short by Roy's (and Oden's) injuries.

Then 2012-2015: the "Aldridge rebuild", creating a contender and consecutive 50+ win seasons, but cut short again, this time by Matthews injury, and then Aldridge's departure.

Now we have the "Dame rebuild". I'm looking forward to it. Focus your expectations for the upcoming season on development and improvement rather than wins, and you might actually be able to enjoy the process.

2. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

You're either close to a championship or you're not

You just listed 3 separate rebuilds in the span of 10 years........ That kind of makes my point. They've always been rebuilding and have never been close to a championship since 2000.

3. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    GS wasn't either until last season. Their rebuild was since the 80's. They must really suck as a franchise under your microscope

Red Rooster, dviss1 and 0-Our! like this.
  4. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

During this rebuild I would like to see (my wish list):

1. Pick and Roll utilizing Dame's skills, our roster's youth and athleticism
    2. More fast breaks (I'm dying to see a fast breaking team like our team from the Rip City early 90's era!)
    3. Top notch team defense foundation

These are some of the things I would like to see our team doing.

Red Rooster, dviss1, 0-Our! and 3 others like this.
  5. DryHeat

DryHeat Member

Part of being a fan you cheer the players you have.

The 77 Blazers were not picked to win a championship that year, but they did.

Portland was 1-3 vs the Lakers that year regular season and when they met in the WCF's Portland swept them 4 - 0

Be a fan support the team you have you never know what can happen.

6. Schilly

Schilly Well-Known Member

The problem with so many forums is people are fans of their own team. Therefore their players they have followed are better than other players. Also they have no clue the caliber of players on other teams. So much of the typical response this summer when players have been brought in has been "who's that?". What Neil.has done though is bring in young guys who are already regular players in the NBA with the exception of Vonleh. Vonleh has the highest ceiling though.

riverman and 0-Our! like this.
  7. PtldPlatypus

And I have a different opinion and perspective. Absent injuries to Roy and Oden, we would have been close to a championship with the first rebuild. Absent Matthews' injury, I firmly believe that we were close to a championship this year. The rebuilds were done well, but injuries derailed them.

As much as we want to believe that championships are all skill, there's a lot of luck involved too. Luck hasn't been on our side, but rather than whine about misfortune, we pick up, dust off, and go for it again. Hopefully, luck will be on our side this time. I guess we'll see.

dviss1, Draco, 0-Our! and 2 others like this.
  8. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

Up until the last few years they were a pretty dreadful franchise, yes.

9. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

Never said I wasn't a fan or wouldn't support them

But an article stating the Blazers are poised for a fast rebuild? Uh, I'll believe it when I see it.

10. Blazer509

Blazer509 Well-Known Member

Cory Joseph a possibility?

11. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

The Blazers were in the running this year, but I firmly believe they were in the second tier of teams competing for the championship.

Yes the Blazers have put together some good rebuilds over the past 15 years, but there's really nothing to show for them and that's all that matters.

Bad luck with Roy and Oden? The injury concerns were there on draft night for both. The Blazers picked Roy (who had two knee surgeries in college) and chose wrong on Oden over Durant. Highsight is 20/20, but they made the wrong decision, and we'll never get an idea just how serious the concerns were over Oden's knees. I'm guessing it's safe to say pretty serious.

12. PtldPlatypus

It's sad that your enjoyment of the franchise is so tied up in whether or not we win a title. I feel sorry for you.

Draco likes this.
  13. DryHeat

DryHeat Member

Sounds like you doubt them before they have played one game. How do you determine what's a successful re-build ?
    Just want them to be competitive and show improvement and I'll be cheering them on, just like the 77 squad.

Don't wait til you see it or you'll miss the best part.

14. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

"If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?"

15. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

You're right

Every fan should be like DryHeat. He's the perfect fan.

16. DryHeat

DryHeat Member

Lol

Only worry about what I can control.
    I like what we have to build with, might not be an elite team but its our team...right?

Red Rooster and Spud147 like this.
  17. Chrionex

Chrionex Fuck Texas

Needs more salt

image.jpg

Spud147 and HailBlazers like this.
  18. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

I can't wait to see the news guys roll out and compete. It's time for something different and it might even be some fun. We really don't know how handcuffed Dame was having to defer to Aldridge. Now we're going to find out. Remember when Drexler would get the ball and do his thing? Every single person in the arena, including the other team knew exactly what Clyde was gonna do. And as he'd gather himself to do it you could feel the air pressure in the building drop as 12,666 people sucked in their breaths. Then, as soon as he finished posterizing the opposite team, you could almost feel your ears pop when everyone released their breaths in an explosive cheer. I think we're going to see and feel that again over the years as Dame just gets better with no divas to hold him back. Let's put Aldridge in the rear view mirror and be grateful for what we have. Dame has what LA (or Drexler for that matter) will never have......heart, guts and an assassins cold blood when it's needed most. This ain't over......

Red Rooster, dviss1, Shooter and 3 others like this.
  19. LizardKing

LizardKing Member

I actually think were a sweet-shooting small forward (J-Rich!!) away from being alright. If we start Kaman and Davis and Aminu with Henderson and Dame, we could have a pretty solid defensive starting group with a decent pick and roll tandem in Kaman and Lillard if were willing to muck up the pace and rely on Dame's scoring and creativity. Then, we put in Plumlee and slide Aminu to the 4 and were off to the races. That kind of versatility can really catch teams off guard in the regular season

20. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

There's no need for Kaman to stay. Not even for his experience. That stuff is cool when you're winning, not so much when you're rebuilding. He's trade bait. Might not happen til the deadline, but I'd be shocked if he was still here after it.