Celtics cut Miles

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Nate Dogg

Nate Dogg Active Member

Private Security
    Heh. He did look slow on that youtube clip against the 76'ers. It looks like he needs to do more conditioning to run faster. Hes better off playing in the Euro league at this point.

2. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

I think its already been made clear why a team would pick up Miles, and how it would affect Portland. Besides, come midseason there are going to be plenty of teams that will pick him up as a fresh pair of legs.

3. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

It is also pretty clear why a team wouldn't pick him up, pay him a guaranteed contract, and then activate and play him for at least 10 games.

Ainge had every reason to want to screw over Portland, and if he didn't see Miles being worth it, why would some other GM in the West?

4. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Darius measured 6'7.5 at his combine and there is no way he's grown 3.5 inches since then. His knee issue is structural and won't get better ever. He has never had a post up game so I really doubt he's going to develop one now.

Like Nikolokolus I wish him the best, but dude is likely done. Smarts had nothing to do with it... injuries just claimed another talent young player.

STOMP

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  5. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

I get the point, but why would us having cap space hurt Ainge? Not in our division, our window is different than his, we're not stealing any free agents from him...

I mean, I think the L*kers and MAYBE the Jazz have to worry about us. The Celtics? Maybe the revenge card, but that's about it.

6. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

I'm assuming a european contract would not affect his status in the NBA (no team payroll and insurance pays) . . . is that a right assumption?

7. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

What was Ainge's motivation? To stop Portland from being a contender? :lol:

As much as I love my Blazers I don't see them making it to the finals for a couple years. But a Western conf GM not only plays against the Blazers more times each year, but also may see them in the playoffs.

8. hasoos

hasoos Well-Known Member

Fresh pair of legs? What is Darius getting a leg transplant or something? The best you are going to get with him now is a gimpy dude who can't move.

9. Jurassic

Jurassic Trend Setter

I meant compared to players who have already been playing the whole season. I know that he is injured, but energy-wise he would have a lot more in him (if he got picked up right before the trade deadline) than others who have been playing the whole year.

10. hasoos

hasoos Well-Known Member

I know. I was just giving you a bad time! I forgot to put a happy face with it though!
    :cheers:

11. Petey

Petey Super Sized Sexy, The Bulls Fan Killer! Staff Member Administrator

Imagine if the Nets were to sign him. We'd have the slowest server ever on the INTERNET forever!

Haha.

-Petey

12. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Yeah.

What good would Portland having cap space after the season do for Boston, who has a two or three year window left for championship runs?

Being fleeced out of Brandon Roy would be another reason.

13. Entity

Entity some guy

Full-Time Student, E.E.
    Yeah, whoever takes him on has to either believe he's good enough for a roster spot, or feels comfortable enough to waste a 15th spot for 20 games (10 suspended, 10 played) if they wanted to screw us over, and that's not even considering the number of games in between the "10 played" they'd have to keep him out of if they're close ones.

14. BrianFromWA

I think he has to occupy the "12th" spot, in order for the suspension to count and for eligibility of playing time.

15. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

I don't know for sure if that is the case, but it would make sense that Darius would have to be on the active roster in order for his suspension to start.

So basically, 1/4 of a team's season has to have Darius on the active roster, meaning that for at least 10 games that team has 11 active players.

No way anybody does that, especially now when it is obvious he has nothing left to offer in terms of production.

16. anonymous gambler

anonymous gambler Member

Not to be crude, but BOOOYA!!!!!

17. Cake

Cake Member

Take off the tinfoil hats people.

If Miles gets signed by somebody, it's not some conspiracy to screw us over. Nobody's going to promise lopsided trades to get another team to sign Miles. That's absurd.

18. BrianFromWA

Yeah, no one ever does shady stuff in the NBA. Stern just smacked around McHale and Joe Smith b/c they were trying really hard.

That's how Pritchard was able to know the top 15 draftees in order and 26 of the first-rounders. Either that, or he's a liar (and therefore shady). </s>

"Tinfoil hats". Love it.

19. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

The Wolves were trying to help themselves directly.

Some on this board seem to think that an NBA team would not only hurt themselves directly (by signing a guy in Miles who can't help their team) but help ANOTHER team (by providing value to take on the Miles albatross)... all to hurt Portland.

If a team could hurt Portland at no cost to themselves? It might make sense.

That a team would go out of its way to damage Portland's cap space? It is tin foil hat territory.

Ed O.

20. Rodolfo

Rodolfo Double Stamp>Triple Stamp

Halle-friggin'-lujah!