Notice Chad Ford has the Blazers going heavy on international prospects in mock draft.

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Apr 4, 2017.

1. 1eyejack

1eyejack Active Member

watching Justin Jackson reminds me a lot of Durant, needs to improve outside shot but kid is smooth. Love to see us get him

TBpup and PtldPlatypus like this.
  2. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    I agree that 3 1st round picks wouldn't really help this team improve much next year but with the Blazer salary cap the way that it is, it is one of the cheapest ways to fill roster spots with players of at least some talent who aren't just cheerleaders.

rotary111 likes this.
  3. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Yeah the 3 picks are for the future, not next year. But if this draft is as deep as they say, it would be worth keeping them. Although the 3 "cheerleaders" on the end of the bench combine for 2 million while the 3 draft picks would combine for about 10 million (3.5, 3.5. 2.5) unless we stashed one.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  4. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    That's the problem; first round draft picks are kind of expensive. I'd prefer we try to combine a couple of picks and trade up or trade them for a useful vet.

5. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

We're kind of in this position because we went a couple of years without a 1st round rookie, so we didn't have backfill to let Meyers or Harkless walk. If we had a Bobby Portis or Larry Nance jr or Cameron Payne sitting on our bench ready to play, paying 10m for Mo or Meyers likely would have been more of a trade study, rather than a "must do".

I don't love the Eurostash methodology with this CBA, and with our cap situation going forward. I would probably (obviously it takes two) look at using 2 (likely on 2 bigs like Justin Jackson and Swanigan/Adebayo) and trading the 3rd for a protected pick in a future year. With the longest contract available being a 5yr (4 for most players), you should be hitting on at least one rotation player every year in order to keep the flow going.

In the last 7 years of the draft, we have obviously had a couple of hits in Dame and CJ. But look at the rest of our team and what the "home-grown" talent is.

No draft capital used: Turner, Nurkic, Vonleh, Davis, Aminu, Harkless, Ezeli, Quarterman, Napier
    Draft Capital used (still on team): Layman (2019 2nd), Connaughton (indirectly using 2015 1st), Dame (2012 1st), CJ (2013 1st), Meyers (2012 1st), Crabbe (2016 and 2020 2nd)
    Draft Capital used (not on team): Afflalo (2014 1st), RoLo (2 2013 2nds), Felton (2014 2nd), Crash (2011 1st, 2013 1st), Nolan Smith (2011 1st), Barton (2012 2nd), Tyshawn Taylor (2012 2nd)
    Going forward, we don't have any of our own 2nds until 2021. We have a (better of MIN or LAL) 2nd in 2019, and MIA's pick in 2021.

Especially if we max Nurkic, we'll have roughly 65-70M (0r 60-65% of cap) on our Big 3, which isn't horrible. But we can't get 2 stars and 1 rotation player out of 7 years of drafts and even remotely succeed without spending a lot of money on players 4-9.

Bottom line, gotta have regularly-scheduled draft capital and gotta hit on it to keep the rotation player pipeline going (unless we're going to start getting ring-chasing vet mins), or else we'll stay in the lux tax to have a mediocre team.

handiman, BigGameDamian and TBpup like this.
  6. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    3 players for the cost of Meyers Leonard's contract for likely much better talent doesn't seem that expensive. The only reason it is even an issue is because we are pushed up against the Luxury Tax due to Turner/Crabbe. That is $35M for 2 bench players. Add Meyers' $9M, $8M for Aminu, $7M for Davis and $7M for Ezeli and you have a very expensive bench that you're not getting a lot of production out of.

After Dame, 7 of the next 8 highest paid players weren't starters. That is squarely on Neil. To have the 2nd highest payroll in the league to barely make the Playoffs only because of a trade you were force to make that worked out well......yuck!

BBert likes this.
  7. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

How are they expensive? All of them together will barely by $10M a year.

Trading them for a useful vet is idea that I've found ridiculous for months and still hate when I see that suggested. We badly need a back up center, a good prospect power forward and possibly another forward or backcourt player we could develop.

In this draft, we will likely have two picks between 15 and 21, and one around 26-27. Between 15 and 21 there will be talented forwards and centers: Patton, Jarrett Allen, Collins, Hartenstein, Rabb, Giles, Leaf and Adebayo will likely be available there. All of them have good potential. At 26 there are actually a lot of small forwards and shooting guards projected: Kurucs, Kennard, Mitchell, Grayson Allen and in some mocks even Justin Jackson is projected to go low too. We will definitely have a shot at most of these players.

Trading our picks for an average player who will maybe give us +3 wins, rather than getting someone young and talented and developing them further from here, is a ridiculous and frankly a terrible, terrible idea. If the best players available with our picks were point guards then maybe trading them would be decent idea. Trading picks with which you can get a power forward, small forward or a center that could possibly play for you in the future, is a dreadful idea. Those players will make $2M - $3M per year, and then if we want to keep them after 4 years, we will be able to do that - with "decent vet" we'd probably lose that player after his contract ends because someone would just offer that Wilson Chandler $20M a year.

Keep all three picks, get three players with them, develop these players. If we could somehow get a combination of Patton/Allen, Collins/Hartenstein/Giles/Rabb and Jackson/Ferguson, it would be absolutely incredible for the franchise and would spell great future. Get those players, develop them, form a good team here rather than trade all your picks for someone who's proven average.

masieo, BBert, Scalma and 1 other person like this.
  8. Pinwheel1

I agree. Teams like Denver have shown that multiple draft picks can fill the pipeline without having to have a top 3 pick.
    Faried at #22, Fournier at #20, Gobert #27, Jokic at # 40, Nurkic #16 (via Chicago)

We won't hit a HR with all of them, so maybe our odds are better with 3 first round picks rather than the normal theory that the higher pick has the better odds. Either way you are guessing on how a player projects 3 years out.

BBert likes this.
  9. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Sounds like Roddy Beaubois

10. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I thought Roddy was precisely the opposite: great athleticism but questionable BBIQ. :dunno:

11. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

I was thinking long, lanky French dude with an ok jumper and average playmaking ability. Could be remembering Roddy wrong

12. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Exactly. If we can trade one or more of our expensive backups those rookie deals become bargains.

13. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

First year salary for all 3 picks will be less than $2M each. Much closer to $6M instead of $10M.
    http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale/2018

If you hit on one of the 3, they are a very cheap option for a few years.

14. Pinwheel1

15. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Apart from the "great BBIQ" part...

16. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

I never mock the draft, I take it very seriously.