Chad ford insider grades Blazer offseason an A

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Draco, Aug 1, 2013.

1. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Where you been all day. Batum would be the perfect back-up for LeBron. Lillard would be the titz as Chris Paul's back-up.

2. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Lillard would start. Cp3 ain't that good

3. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Hey I'm with you on this mags. I gloss over the posts listing a bunch of stats on Blazer players because I follow the players and watch almost every minute they play in the NBA. I don't need stats to tell me what benefits they bring to the team. And I think many posters on this board have better opinions about Blazer players than national and even local writers.

With other players, I do tend to look at the stats because I really only follow the Blazers. If Lopez turns out to be all that, then hats off to you (and Mick). I'm skeptical because I don't think a team just let's a center go at that age if they thought he had a lot of potential. I don't see all this upside many on the board are buzzing about. But that (and there hasn't been alot of media or fans buzz about Robin) are really the only reasons I'm skeptical, so I could easily be way off on my analysis.

Anyone know a good a Pelican forum, would love to read what NO fans think of the trade.

4. magnifier661

I think we managed to get Lopez because they have Anthony. They really wanted Evans, and we were at the right place at the right time.

Also, olshey already had good relations with Nola with the deal he pulled off with the cp3 fiasco.

I'm not saying Lopez will be some major all star or something; but he's much better than what hickson gave us.

I'm not as concerned with the rebounding, because I really think he nets higher rebounds for the team. I think that's better anyway.

5. The_Lillard_King

Found a site. Here is one post that kind of hurts and overall I don't see a lot of grief about losing Lopez . . . but the analysis is losing Lopez to gain Tyreke. Apparently Lopez is costing the Blazers 6 million/yr

So basically Dell got Portland to pay Lopez's trade kicker and got them to throw in a player that may have a higher ceiling than Lopez. Dealin' Dell Doin' Work!

http://www.pelicansreport.com/showthread.php?77517-Withey-to-Nola

(finding that site worth a rep?)

Another post from the site that no one seems to contest and sounds good coming from a Pelican fan:

Exactly what I think will happen as well. The Blazers get a solid player for nothing, we get cap space and Evans, and the Kings get a PG that is a fringe starter with upside (for a guy they didn't want to commit to). Everybody wins.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  6. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I'm confused--who's saying anything about "potential" or "upside" in regard to Lopez? I think most of us just want him to be what he already is--a big body to provide a defensive presence in the middle and efficient performance overall. Nobody expects Lopez to develop into an all-star center.

7. The_Lillard_King

No I don't see anyone saying he is an all star center, you don't get an all star center for nothing. But posters keep mentioning his age and how his stats improve each year. Also, Lopez was the biggest new contract the Blazers sign this summer . . .sort of there big salary cap space move so to speak. I guess i have been reading people excited about the pick up and what Lopez can become. Sometimes the vocal minority standout or maybe I have just misperceived the board but I feel an overall excitement about Lopez that I'm having a hard time jumping on board. A couple games of getting to watch him play and I may be right there with the excitement.

8. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

Opinion - lopez is just an okay player that is ideally a backup if you are a real contender

Stat - new orleans ranked 23rd in pts in the paint last year

Instead of reading my posts you instead started raging for no apparent reason. Since when is it blasphemy to say ROBIN LOPEZ is just am okay player?

Bill Simmons is right. You guys really are soccer moms.

9. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Ranked 23rd in offensive points in the paint? What's your point? Lopez isn't a center with a complete post game. I thought that was assumed? New Orleans was fairly terrible last year in everything, but they were a much better team with Lopez on the court.

As for the soccer mom thing ... huh? Are you saying Hickson is a better option playing 30 mpg at C instead of Lopez?

10. magnifier661

I don't think there was any "big cap move". If we look into what we got; we got a deadly three point shooter and legit back up to batum, we got a legit back up pf with rebounding and defensive abilities, we got a big body center that protects the rim and works well in a team concept (making the entire team rebound better).

Would you rather us not sign wright or grab Robinson so we could grab Iggy or evans instead?

11. The_Lillard_King

Blazer had about 11 million in cap space and spent over half of it on Lopez, that is a pretty big move.

I know Olshey was in a tough position. I agree with Ford that Olshey is basically rebuilding while trying to look like this is a potential playoff team. I hope this all leads to a bigger trade to try and create some team LA will feel some confidence with. The idea that the most exciting pick ups this summer are young unproven players and what may end up being a journeyman center, I doubt has Aldridge excited about where this team is going.

Blazers need CJ, T-Rob or the Fro (2 of the 3) to over perform this year or I think they are in real danger of losing Aldridge.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  12. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

I assume you are referencing my postings from another thread, but I never said I wanted Meyers traded instead of Withey. I was posting about the chances Withey out performs Meyers in the upcoming single season, especially for the role the Blazers require from a backup center. I still value Meyers higher in the long-term.

13. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

No, wasn't you at all.

14. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Which moves would you have made to improve the center position and the bench? Allen wasn't on-board with a rebuild, so let's stop that silly fantasy right now.

15. The_Lillard_King

Not in a good mood last night and vented a little about the Blazer situation. Decided not to go to work today and in a much better mood. I am excited about the Blazer season and have high hopes for CJ, T-Tob and even the Fro.

Go Blazers!

Eastoff likes this.
  16. crandc

crandc Well-Known Member

A modest suggestion. Why don't we see how Lopez plays on the Blazers before we decide how he plays on the Blazers?

17. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Too rational. This is the twitter age. We demand instant knowledge and instant gratification. Much like our need to go directly from lottery to finals in one year, followed by a championship the next.

:cheers:

18. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Who is the player with the higher ceiling than Lopez? Withey?

Here is a fun fact. Withey is 23 years-old. Lopez is 25 years-old.

19. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Here is another fun fact: Lopez is a basketball player. Withey is a volleyball player. :devilwink:

20. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Lopez absolutely has upside. When you're 25 and you just improved your numbers from the season before, there is obviously room to keep growing. I'm very excited about Lopez.