Champions League Semi-Finals

Discussion in 'Europe' started by ¹²³, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Colonel Ronan

Colonel Ronan Continue...?

Control Center analyst
    I want Barcelona to make the finals.

2. Flow

Flow ATLiens

Studdying
    ManU leads the second game in London 2-0 after the first half, I'm fucking gasped in amazement. Go Reds!!!! Back-to-back title is ours.

3. La Bomba

La Bomba The Future

Come on, Chelsea.

4. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

Ugh. Easy to say Arsenal is too young, undermanned, whatever... but performances like this are not excusable, even against great teams.

5. Colonel Ronan

Control Center analyst
    Well, to be fair, Arsene Wenger said it: The game was over before it began. After such a good start by us, it is really hard to bounce back from a two-nil decifit which hit you out of nowhere.

Good luck to United, even though they're a bunch of cocky ****. Go die in a fire along with all your glory hunting fans. Now that I have that off of my chest... C'mon Barca!

6. Flow

Flow ATLiens

Studdying
    The referee really must have had something against ManU, what the fuck ? A red card to Fletcher ? For what ? The guy was trying to play ball, I understand the penalty, but a red card ? Fucking great, he can't play in the final now and he is an important player for us. I hope Chelsea wins today, at least I'm rooting for them, I've always liked English football and its clubs more than Spanish or Italian.

7. Colonel Ronan

Control Center analyst
    The referee was having a bad night in general. The Ronaldo freekick wasn't a freekick but it was a spectacular shot... 41 yards, I think.

8. Flow

Flow ATLiens

Studdying
    Well, many of my friends told me that it was a lucky shot and it was Almunia's shitty play. Okay, I agree that Almunia wasn't at his best during that kick, but dude, that really was an amazing kick. Ronaldo may look like a *** and yeah he falls down too often, but he still is my favourite football player, incredible guy.

And my luck continues, Chelsea leads 1-0 after the 1st half, Essien made a sick goal, damn, soccer rules. ;D

9. La Bomba

La Bomba The Future

Fucking lucky ass Barcelona. Horrible refereeing all game long and Barcelona scores on their first shot. I hate Man U but I am going to root for them in the final.

10. Colonel Ronan

Control Center analyst
    It was amazing.

11. Flow

Flow ATLiens

Studdying
    Well, I am calm now, but you wouldn't have wanted to see me yesterday when that MOTHERFUCKIN lucker Iniesta scored that goal on the THIRD extra minute, it was their first shot on target, great success mofos.

Well, at least now I can watch how my fav club is gonna destroy Messi & Co

12. bbwchingy0007

bbwchingy0007 BBW Member

I laughed for literally like 15 minutes after that Iniesta goal yesterday. Hard luck to Chelsea, they could easily have had 2 or 3 penalties, but they had other opportunities to score at missed them. I'm hoping for some lengthy suspensions for Ballack and Drogba which will surely be coming soon.

On to the United game, to be fair Arsenal started really well and, even whilst celebrating the first goal, my heart went out to Kieran Gibbs. I felt like shit when I gave away a penalty for my Sunday League team, so I can't imagine how he felt when it was his fault that United scored the first (on the basis that he slipped so no-one was there to defend Park). I think it was a foul on Ronny before the free kick, but he exaggerated it which just makes it look like he dived. Third goal was brilliant, a perfect example of why Berbatov should not play in games we think will be more open, he's not quick enough on the break and ends up stunting quick moves. This leads me on to the penalty. What. The. FUCK??? That was an awesome tackle, you can clearly see the ball change direction way before he took Fabregas down. I can accept that it was a tackle from behind, but it wasn't dangerous and it was relatively clean. However, I do understand that, from the ref's point of view, if it's a foul it's also a red card, so there's not much he could do once he decided it was a foul. It's just funny to think that if Fletcher just didn't bother tracking back and was more lazy he wouldn't have been sent off. I have heard that there is a slim chance that the red could be rescinded (according to the general secretary or something - he's English whoever he is). If there's any justice he will be able to play, but I don't expect it to be rescinded. It's a crap law that you can't appeal reds in the Champions League. Why the hell not? If it's wrong, it's wrong, so why should someone suffer in the future (i.e. a suspension) for doing nothing wrong.

UEFA is a joke.

13. ¹²³

¹²³ ¼½¾

14. el_Diablo

el_Diablo Member

I don't think there is any room to complain about fletcher. he touched the ball, yes - but it was too weak touch. cesc would still have been 1 on 1 with the keeper, which didn't happen because fletcher took him down. a foul that took away a clear goal scoring opportunity equals red card.

the ref (who in my opinion was way too strict for an all premier league encounter - no flow at all because he bought every dive and didn't let the players play at all) got the call right and has already stated after reviewing the tape that he is not going to rescind the red.

15. bbwchingy0007

bbwchingy0007 BBW Member

[video=youtube;l0nE4bDl4V8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0nE4bDl4V8[/video]

skip to 6:45 and tell me that's a foul. Got the ball, took it away from Fabregas, then took the man. As good a recovery tackle as you will ever see in that situation.

16. el_Diablo

el_Diablo Member

it's a foul. he did touch the ball, but didn't do enough to take it away from cesc. the touch was so slight the ball was still at cesc's feet when fletcher mowed him over.

17. bbwchingy0007

bbwchingy0007 BBW Member

How did it end up at the corner of the six yard box then? If you give that as a penalty, most tackles you see are fouls.

18. el_Diablo

el_Diablo Member

after watching the video couple of times, I still don't see the ball ending up at "the corner of the six yard box".

the ball ended up in van der sar's hands because cesc was brought down, not because fletcher barely touched it. cesc would have been able to recover the ball had the tackle been clean, and he would have been 1 on 1 with the keeper. that's my point. you are free to disagree.

and additionally, you aren't allowed to tackle from behind like that anyway, doesn't matter if you get the ball if you also get the player - in premier league it might have been okay had fletcher really taken the ball away (which he didn't), but the ref was really strict with the rules throughout the match.. more lenient ref wouldn't have given the free kick that led to the second goal for example.

19. Colonel Ronan

Control Center analyst
    Fletcher's feet are way too high and that could of easily looked dangerous from the referee's angle.

That's exactly how Eduardo fucked up his leg. The tackle came in from behind (I don't remember who it was) and he even got the ball.

20. bbwchingy0007

bbwchingy0007 BBW Member

The tackle on Eduardo was from the side, iirc. I would youtube it, but it's sick.

I think the balll moved a lot more than you give Fletcher credit from, and it wasn't particularly dangerous as studs weren't showing etc. I'll admit that at first glance it looked like a penalty, but on further inspection it was a great tackle.

Breaking news is that the ban won't be overturned, which is a real shame for Fletcher given that he has been such an important, underrated player. Hell, if he was lazier he wouldn't be missing the final.