Championship: Ohio State vs. Florida

Discussion in 'Men's College Basketball' started by tracymcgrady_01, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Schaddy

Schaddy Tangerine

Florida was very impressive today. They were really on from behind the arc, and Horford made some improbable shots off the dribble. I haven't been rooting for them much this season, but it's hard to argue with back to back titles [​IMG]

2. yudalicious

yudalicious JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Will637 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Those three's really hurt Ohio State. They weren't able to hit them and they got hit really hard by them, I think that was the difference. I think Oden played his best game of the Tourney. He played for a lot of the game as opposed to picking up cheap and fast fouls, and he really dominated the paint. Congrats to Florida.

BTW, Joakim Noah's mom looks young enough to be his girlfriend or something, wassup with that?</div>

I for one think that Oh St. should've won, don't know why, maybe jitters or inexperience, but 4/23 fromt 3pt land, 2/21 when it mattered, that's less than 10%. And most of those threes were open 3s, they just flat out missed them. I feel like Oh St, IS a better team when Oden stays out of foul trouble.

3. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">yudalicious Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I for one think that Oh St. should've won, don't know why, maybe jitters or inexperience, but 4/23 fromt 3pt land, 2/21 when it mattered, that's less than 10%. And most of those threes were open 3s, they just flat out missed them. I feel like Oh St, IS a better team when Oden stays out of foul trouble.</div>

That's true, but the better team doesn't always win the title.

That's my one problem with college basketball, the single-elimination tournaments. I'm not necessarily saying I'd change it, because they're exciting as hell, and they bring in a lot of attention and revenue to college basketball, but at the end of the day, it's an inaccurate. Last season UConn, Duke, and about ten or fifteen other teams were better than Florida but choked in their last games of the season. In this instance, Florida was clearly one of the five or so best teams in America, yet they were also clearly not the best. A few teams, Ohio State included, would have beaten them in a best of three or a best of five series. Still, you have to acknowledge that they won the title, because the tournament is imperfect and at the end of the day, they were the winners.

4. Detroit Madness

Detroit Madness JBB JustBBall Member

9 point game is not a blowout but it certainly did not have me out of my seat. It seems like college games are never really thrilling in the championship games. In the '05 game between Illinios and North Carolina I can truely say I enjoyed that game (It was like a 5 point game less then 1 min). But time to turn off the T.V. and back to the NBA action!

5. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

How amazing was Greg Oden tonight? Man, I seriously don't know how anyone can doubt this dude after a performance like that. Not only did stay out of foul trouble while playing almost the entire game, but he single-handedly outplayed Florida's frontcourt. Donovan's strategy was to wear him out and get him to foul by constantly throwing fresh bodies at him, but the exact opposite. If the Buckeyes' guards had actually shown up and hit a decent percentage this game would've been far more interesting. Instead, they hung him out to dry.

Congrats to Florida on the repeat. I didn't give them much respect this tourney (predicted them to be out in the 2nd round), but they proved me wrong and played well. Corey Brewer is a hell of a player.

6. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">Detroit Madness Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">9 point game is not a blowout but it certainly did not have me out of my seat. It seems like college games are never really thrilling in the championship games. In the '05 game between Illinios and North Carolina I can truely say I enjoyed that game (It was like a 5 point game less then 1 min). But time to turn off the T.V. and back to the NBA action!</div>

The NBA lost a lot of great qualities after the lockout that the NCAA still has, but now I'm actually very turned off by college ball. Joakim Noah, the face of college basketball? What a sad day. I miss Cleaves... [​IMG]

<font size=""1"">(Anyway, the next time I see a college basketball game, I'll be playing in it. [​IMG])</font>

7. B.e.

B.e. The One Who Score Touchdowns and Spikes Mics

<div class="quote_poster">yudalicious Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I for one think that Oh St. should've won, don't know why, maybe jitters or inexperience, but 4/23 fromt 3pt land, 2/21 when it mattered, that's less than 10%. And most of those threes were open 3s, they just flat out missed them. I feel like Oh St, IS a better team when Oden stays out of foul trouble.</div>
    Who cares? It's irrelevant who the better team IS. It's about who delivers when it comes to tournament time. Florida has done it two years in a row.

8. Pgballer17

Pgballer17 JBB JustBBall Member

Reasons to Hate the Gators

Let me count the reasons why:

1. The face of their program, Joakim Noah, is a cocky and overrated player who annoys the heck out of me any time he steps on the court.
    2. Every one in their orginization thinks because they had one or two good seasons that they are now fimly entrenched in the NCAA elite. Yeah right. It takes more than a couple good seasons to to build up legacies like those found at Duke or UCLA.
    3. Any team that returned all of its 5 starters from a championship team should be expected to repeat, so no one should be calling this monumental. Many other teams could have won 2 in a row if they brought back all their starters.
    4. If CBS shows one more shot of Noah's mom, dad, or any other "proud parent of a Gator player", I will be forced to kill myself.

There are more, but I'm done venting for now.

9. Pgballer17

Pgballer17 JBB JustBBall Member

Oden basically outplayed Noah, Horford, Richards, and the other guy who I'd never heard of. He was able to stay out of foul troube and had a great game.

10. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

Oden outplayed Noah, but everytime Oden tried to take the game over in the block, Florida had an answer. It was the three ball on a number of times, sometimes it was just getting it to Al Horford in the high post (who showed a very nice touch last night), or just locking down on defense and getting out on transition. Well played by the Gators, can't say I didn't expect this.

Oden, Noah, Brewer, and Horford have all played their last game, but they've certainly made it memorable.

11. B.e.

<div class="quote_poster">Pgballer17 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Let me count the reasons why:

1. The face of their program, Joakim Noah, is a cocky and overrated player who annoys the heck out of me any time he steps on the court.
    2. Every one in their orginization thinks because they had one or two good seasons that they are now fimly entrenched in the NCAA elite. Yeah right. It takes more than a couple good seasons to to build up legacies like those found at Duke or UCLA.
    3. Any team that returned all of its 5 starters from a championship team should be expected to repeat, so no one should be calling this monumental. Many other teams could have won 2 in a row if they brought back all their starters.
    4. If CBS shows one more shot of Noah's mom, dad, or any other "proud parent of a Gator player", I will be forced to kill myself.

There are more, but I'm done venting for now.</div>

1. Joakim is not the face of their program, they have five good starters whitch is why they are a good team. There is no clear cut face of their program.

2. Everyone in their organization thinks that they are firmly entrenched in the NCAA elite? I haven't heard anybody from UF make and such a comment.

3. It doesn't matter if any team is EXPECTED to, fact is the Gators are the only team that HAVE.

4. [​IMG]
    Go ahead.

12. arre

arre JBB JustBBall Member

His mom is hot, she is swedish [​IMG]

13. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

<div class="quote_poster">Voodoo Child Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">You think it was inexperience that lost them the game? That's funny, because Oden was money, Lighty was on point, and Conley, Jr. did great, especially in the second half. It was actually the upperclassmen that hurt Ohio State; guys like Jamar Butler, Ivan Harris, and Ron Lewis.</div>
    No, moreso Florida being that much better. At least last night they were.

Back to back titles is pretty impressive, especially this day and age. I don't think anyone can really discredit Florida after that.

14. Fast Luck

Fast Luck JBB JustBBall Member

It really did come down to 3 point shooting. OSU was stone cold and Florida shot very well. A repeat is pretty impressive...

15. GarnettKG21

GarnettKG21 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">A.F. Venom Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">

2. Everyone in their organization thinks that they are firmly entrenched in the NCAA elite? I haven't heard anybody from UF make and such a comment.
    </div>

Then you obviously didn't watch the postgame interviews.....

16. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">****** Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">No, moreso Florida being that much better. At least last night they were.

Back to back titles is pretty impressive, especially this day and age. I don't think anyone can really discredit Florida after that.</div>

Don't back-track. You said experience would carry them through the game, implying that Ohio State was inexperienced, but it was actually their inexperienced players that had the greatest impact.

17. XSV

XSV JBB The Virve Dynasty

After watching this game, I think I can say the better team lost. Florida hit absolutely everything including a handful of lucky shots. Ohio st. had a piss-poor shooting game which is an anomaly for them and still managed so stay competitive despite getting their scoring from 1 guy (Conley had a lot of garbage points at the end and I don't believe he played a good game). The one positive was Oden making the "dominant" Florida bigmen his bitches on offense and defense

18. Voodoo Child

<div class="quote_poster">XSV Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">After watching this game, I think I can say the better team lost. Florida hit absolutely everything including a handful of lucky shots. Ohio st. had a piss-poor shooting game which is an anomaly for them and still managed so stay competitive despite getting their scoring from 1 guy (Conley had a lot of garbage points at the end and I don't believe he played a good game). The one positive was Oden making the "dominant" Florida bigmen his bitches on offense and defense</div>

Yeah, I wonder what Gators (the poster) has to say about Oden now. Just a day ago he said he was the most overrated player in the NCAA.

[​IMG]

19. B.e.

<div class="quote_poster">XSV Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">After watching this game, I think I can say the better team lost. Florida hit absolutely everything including a handful of lucky shots. Ohio st. had a piss-poor shooting game which is an anomaly for them and still managed so stay competitive despite getting their scoring from 1 guy (Conley had a lot of garbage points at the end and I don't believe he played a good game). The one positive was Oden making the "dominant" Florida bigmen his bitches on offense and defense</div>
    Lucky shots? I think your a little delusional.

And it's not like Ohio State were just missing their shots, they were missing their shots for a reason. Oden got the ball all night, and how often does he kick the ball out? Rarely, therefore Ohio State guards hardly had the chance to get into rhythm.

How can you beat a team twice and they are still being better for you? I mean it's a pointless argument for me, because the team I support got theirs. But for some reason when people say this it annoys me.

20. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

Why would he kick the ball out when he's getting any shot he wants? The Buckeye guards had lots of quality looks, but they weren't hitting anything. Oden had nothing to do with it.