Charles B. said it again.

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Nate Dogg, Dec 12, 2013.

1. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Barkley also said that the Blazers don't get enough easy baskets.

2. Blazer Fanatic

Blazer Fanatic Suspended

Even after Dallas won it all jump shooting, he's still selling hard on Portland, and it just makes it more satisfying when he ends up looking dumb. It makes that show. I think you meant to type condemning, ya?

3. Blazer Fanatic

Blazer Fanatic Suspended

He's incredulous. Most likely he's watching something else on TV when the game is on.

4. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Just. Keep. Winning.

5. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

What exactly did he say that was wrong?

Portland's bench is thin
    We are a jump shooting team
    He said we were 29th in points in the paint and 27th in fast break points or something like that

6. GrandpaBlaze

GrandpaBlaze Predictions Game Master

Don't ya know? It is not WHAT you say but HOW you say it. Did he say it with love for Portland in his voice or was it said in a denigrating manner?

My kids once played a song for me wherein if you said something in a song with a happy tune to it, you could say whatever and it would be taken nicely.

Charles is going with traditional thinking which is right more often than not, but not always right. Since, at least so far this year, the traditional thinking is not right, whatever Charles says must be wrong.

I will admit that I was leery of the early success as I wasn't sure it was sustainable. However, they continually find ways to win and show a strength of will and character that has not been seen for quite some time in a Blazer team. It has been prevalent at times in certain players (i.e., Roy) but not necessarily in the team as a whole; now it seems to be throughout the entire team.

There are exceptions to nearly every rule and the pre-season predictions for the Blazers were by-the-rules. Some still hold to those by-the-rules predictions for future success. We, has homeristic fans, believe they are wrong and point out as evidence of our correctness, their continued success no matter the opposition (well, except maybe for those dang Suns).

Long-term, those who predict less than ebullient success have as much chance of being correct as those of us who hope for more.

It is interesting and refreshing that in spite of the current success, there is little discussion of us winning it all. Nearly any time that is mentioned, it is with a breath of hesitation that we could actually go that far. Too much perception that the NBA would not allow that to happen. In spite of how things are now, we are destined for a Miami/Lakers finals. ;)

Gramps...

7. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

[video=youtube;nRB8Jor8tPs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRB8Jor8tPs[/video]

8. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Failure coming soon?

9. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I have also always been in favor of humor when I can't argue a point

10. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Hold on to your bumped threads.

11. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

When talking about first place ....does he mean the conference or the division. Right now we are tied for first with two other teams in the west. (The loss column is all I look at when comparing good teams)

So am I convinced we will stay in first place. No I don't think we will. So I am in agreement there with him.

But the jump shooting thing is misleading in the playoffs. In the early 90's they used to say we were vulnerable in the playoffs because we got too many easy baskets on the fast breaks, and that once the game "slowed down " in postseason we would struggle to score. That Buck and Jerome and even Clyde were inconsistent jump shooters. And they were. So in my mind Chuck's philosophy goes both ways.

As long as we continue to move the ball around and get GOOD open jump shots we will be right there. Look how OKC is built, it is all jump shots unless their PG attacks the basket. Same with SA, Parker is the one who gets the most points at the basket now that Duncan shoots so many jumpers. Memphis last year ended up losing because they struggled to hit open jumper down the stretch in crunch time. When the games are on the line, most of the stars are pulling up for jumpers. See Lebron and Kobe.

So why is a jump shooting team an issue? We have other issues but that IMO is not one of them. We will need Lillard to match Parker, Westbrook, and CP3's production around the basket. Can he get there this year? Maybe not, but eventually he will. The refs are just part of the problem with him, he needs to keep working on finishing a little better.

But overall I like having jump shooters in the lineup when the lanes start to clog late in games and in the playoffs. Lillard is the key IMO.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  12. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Oh, I can argue it. I just don't need to. Today's Daily Dime makes the points for me.

I can't resist a good dig through.

13. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    And to go a little further, Denver in the last 8 years usually had the best "points in the paint", yet they hardly ever made it past round one.

The key isn't the what style in which you score, but how efficiently you score. Dallas's championship team proved that.

Personally the key, IMO, is having a legit star that carries the team and perfect chemistry.

14. BLAZER PROPHET

BLAZER PROPHET Well-Known Member

dental malpractice claims adjuster
    Man I hate rookies.

15. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    Kimchi is a fool. I like how he thinks he owns this place. He reminds me of a tool that doesn't have a battery

16. maxiep

maxiep RIP Dr. Jack

Merchant Banker
    Usually, Chuck's view is a sound one. Easy, high-percentage baskets make for a higher winning percentage. However, this team may be the rare exception. The good news for us is he doesn't determine our future. It's done on the court.

We'll see if he's right or wrong.

17. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

So why do you like CJ so much?

18. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I say this every season: I really don't believe Charles Barkley watches much basketball.

19. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

I think he only watches compelling national TV games and the playoffs. He definitely doesn't follow the NBA much in the offseason... Just watch the "who he play for" segments on Inside the NBA lol