Chauncey Billups coaching and basketball stuff ONLY!

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by tykendo, Jul 15, 2021.

1. riverman

riverman Writing Team

you said Kerr sat out his half his rookie year...he didn't...Curry Thompson Green....sure...we have Dame CJ and Nurk....I like our chances

2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

If we succeed some might say it's Dame that makes that happen and not Chauncey as well....I think it's a collective effort

3. DDolla

DDolla Well-Known Member

I want to see what Chauncey offense looks like.

4. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Ball movement...more cuts to the basket and more corner threes....he's talked about it a bit..he wants more balanced scoring ..he said Dame and CJ will still be scorers but we have other guys who can shoot on the team...that means Norm and Nurk to me..sounded to me like he wants to use Nurk more like we used Mason Plumlee

DDolla likes this.
  5. boredinsalem

boredinsalem Well-Known Member

If we're committed to trying Dame/CJ/Norm, I think Neil's gotta look at whether he can get a big defensive guard for Ant. Marcus Smart would fit like a glove, as he'd basically be moving up to play 3 for us (and bring the ball up the court), but Boston is talking a big game about keeping him now.

6. LayneStaley

LayneStaley Well-Known Member

Badass
    If it’s win now time and we aren’t making any trades involving CJ I think acquiring Smart or Nance for Ant/DJJ/Picks would be huge.

7. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I didn't say he sat out his rookie year I said he sat out at some point and Walton took over seamlessly.

I think you equated me bringing up Kerr as default we were talking about rookie year.

Nurk is no where near green. We have one.

8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

The whole topic we were discussing was first year coaches.in comparison to Chauncey..somebody said they always suck....Kerr broke the win total record and then you said..yeah but...Walton.....try to keep up Stren...that's a different topic...I think Green is in decline and Nurk is just getting ready to make a leap...Nurk was an absolute beast before his leg fell off....we still don't know what Klay will look like after his Rodney Hoodesque injury either

Scalma likes this.
  9. Further

Further Guy

Stuff doer
    Actually I don’t think anybody said they always suck. I certainly didn’t, I said they tend to struggle and when they don’t it’s more likely there is a floor general (Dame?) who is able to help push his team forward.
    I like very much what I’ve seen from Billups. But unfortunately signs of being a quality coach usually don’t show up in the win total for a first year coach.

I will say this, I think the biggest area for growth on our current roster comes from better utilization of Nurk. To Billups credit, he seems to see this too. I love all the things Billups is talking about, I hope he does prove to be one of the rare first-year coaching marvels. If the Blazers get vintage Lillard and the CJ that began last year, with movement, cutters, strong picks a facilitating Hi/Lo center, it could be awesome.

we will see

riverman likes this.
  10. Strenuus

We got lost in translation. Oh well. I stand by my thought of Kerr as a rookie head coach and think overall he's vastly overrated.

Of course green is on the decline. Lol. Nurk will never be a green at any time in his career. He's a vital piece to our team but just because he's vital doesn't mean he's as good as green was at any point.

Also green has the intangibles that nurk does not and that does play. The one similarity is they are both very emotional players.

We will agree to disagree.

11. Strenuus

And again, I say all this with the thought that I believe Billups is gonna be a great coach. Some bumps in the road for sure... but I think he has "it".

Wizard Mentor, riverman and Idog1976 like this.
  12. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Nurk had a superior PER, WS/48, BPM, REB %, TS %, and BLK% last season. The steal percentage was almost identical.

Draymond is an elite defender but brings limited value offensively outside passing. Nurk is more balanced who graded out as a positive on both ends.

Draymond ain’t overrated, but Nurk is definitely underrated and under appreciated. Thankfully Billups seems to see it and agrees he’s been underutilized.

13. Strenuus

Fair enough. I may have jumped it a bit.

riverman likes this.
  14. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

Wow?
    To read the last page of this thread?
    Nothing. Absolutely nothing like this was being said just 2-3 years ago about Steve Kerr.
    It was the complete opposite. Even more so if you were going to compare any coach. Everyone knows Steve Kerr and Ty Lue and now Steve Nash were gifted rosters that would compete for a championship.
    Everyone knows Phil Jackson doesn't win titles unless he coaches two of the greatest players the league has ever known.

All that being said? Lets Hope Chauncy Billups is not held to those standards because we all know he doesn't have that kind of talent to work with.

blazerkor likes this.
  15. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

My expectations are…..assuming reasonable health

1. Top 4 seed
    2. First round win
    3. Competitive 2nd round

BBert likes this.
  16. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

17. Mr. Robot

Mr. Robot Well-Known Member

shots fired, shots fired!

BBert likes this.
  18. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

Pretty reasonable. Kind of what most expected last year given “Reasonable Health”.
    Pretty much what we have been looking for the last 3 years “Assuming Reasonable Health”.

illmatic99 likes this.
  19. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

it’s very clear Nurk wasn’t a big fan of Stotts, or at least his system/approach.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  20. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Interesting comments by Billups on our new additions/re-signing Powell

POWELL

New coach Chauncey Billups, who helped recruit Powell to stay in Portland, said keeping him was imperative.

“He just added a dimension to the team that I thought was much needed with his aggression and getting to the basket,” Billups said from the Four Seasons hotel in Las Vegas. “The team was mostly a jump-shooting team, but he’s one guy that can get downhill, that can get to the basket. He can finish or collapse the defense and kick it out. But not only that, defensively he’s really scrappy. He’s very competitive. You can put him on a lot of different guys. He can really guard.”

McLEMORE

“He’s a sniper, man,” Billups said. “He’s a shooter. He is going to be able to make you pay for leaving him open.”

As for McLemore’s shooting issues last season, Billups said he doesn’t see that being an issue moving forward

“Sometimes it depends on what system you play in,” Billups said. “If you’re going to be shooting tough shots, then your percentage might not be great.”

Billups believes that his offensive system, which will emphasize more penetration and then passing back out to shooters, will lead to better shots for everyone and enhance McLemore’s value to the team.

SNELL

“You look at Tony Snell and what he was able to do last year, he started a lot of games in Atlanta and he just played his role,” Billups said. “He made shots. He can defend. You’re going to be able to depend on him every night.”

ZELLER

“I’m really excited to have Cody Zeller,” Billups said. “I’m really excited to have a big that’s good defensively for us. But not only that, he plays with a very high IQ and plays hard as heck. He’s a really good facilitator when he catches it on short rolls, being able to beat the backline defense. Those things are going to be important for us and how we’re going to play.”

https://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/...trail-blazers-offseason-moves-to-pay-off.html