Chess IS a Sport

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by gentile, Mar 31, 2007.

1. ASUFan22

ASUFan22 BBW Global Mod Team

Gentile, do you wear a letterman jacket like one of the extremely fat chess players at my school does?

2. gentile

gentile BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASUFan22 @ Apr 1 2007, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Gentile, do you wear a letterman jacket like one of the extremely fat chess players at my school does?</div>Nice. Naw, man. I got a track letter in high school.

3. ASUFan22

ASUFan22 BBW Global Mod Team

It's pretty cool though. It has the knight's head on it. [​IMG]

4. Justice

Justice BBW VIP

I imagine that four or five hours of sleep would burn more calories than an important game of chess would.

5. Something-To-Say

Something-To-Say BBW Banned

Is sex a sport then?

6. Combs

Combs BBW Root *****

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Something-To-Say @ Apr 2 2007, 01:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Is sex a sport then?</div>I would seriously almost have to say it could very well be.

7. gentile

gentile BBW Member

*grumble, grumble* If f*cking figure skating is a sport with completely subjective jugdes, I don't see what the beef is with the royal game... Punks.

8. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gentile @ Apr 2 2007, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>*grumble, grumble* If f*cking figure skating is a sport with completely subjective jugdes, I don't see what the beef is with the royal game... Punks.</div>The beef is that there is no exercise therefore it isn't a sport. Period. Difficult to play well? Yes. Competitive? Yes. A sport? No.

9. BrewCityBuck

BrewCityBuck The guy with 17,000 Posts.

Taking a sh*t is more of a sport than playing chess, give me a freaking break. Sitting in a chair and thinking about your next move is called playing a stupid board game, not playing a sport.Your actually implying that if figure skating is a sport than chess should be? Are you serious or is this whole topic just a big April Fools joke?

10. gentile

gentile BBW Member

Naw. I'm saying that chess is so distinctive. It's actually beyond most sports when it comes to serious competition. There is zero element of luck, no moderators, judges, or refs to f*ck up the purity of the game. It's the truest form of mano y mano other than a street fight or cage match. The distinction in competition is tremendous.I conceded the point on physical exertion, but damn, give me something.

11. BrewCityBuck

BrewCityBuck The guy with 17,000 Posts.

It's just a fun board game to millions of people. That's what it is.

12. Suns Fan Guy

Suns Fan Guy BBW Elite Member

the definition of sport: 1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc. chess doesn't fall into that

13. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gentile @ Apr 2 2007, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Naw. I'm saying that chess is so distinctive. It's actually beyond most sports when it comes to serious competition. There is zero element of luck, no moderators, judges, or refs to f*ck up the purity of the game. It's the truest form of mano y mano other than a street fight or cage match. The distinction in competition is tremendous.I conceded the point on physical exertion, but damn, give me something.</div>But physical exertion is the biggest part of sports, so therefore you conceded the argument.It's a great form of competition, and incredibly difficult to play, but that doesn't make it a sport.

14. gentile

gentile BBW Member

^Totally disagree. Physical exertion is only the most obvious expression of "sports." The skill, talent, timing, practice, and intelligence that playing any competitive sport requires is more than abundant within chess.Chess is also unique in it's endurance. Boardgame? Bah.I suggest that by virtue of it's purity, this deficiency in physical activity is more than made up for. This is why I feel chess deserves an exception. What other sport has no element of luck, needs no referee potentially screwing it up, has a history longer than the three major American sports combined, and already has a thriving worldwide organization in place.I wouldn't say that chess in the tradition of modern sports when it comes to preparation and competition. I would say vice-versa. Sports imitates chess - and very poorly at that. Referees and judges and luck especially introduce much too much an element of randomness to most sports. They are too much apart of the games. How many times have we debated which team got robbed? That's why I feel chess should be included by unique definition as a sport.

15. the_pestilence

the_pestilence BBW VIP

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>I suggest that by virtue of it's purity, this deficiency in physical activity is more than made up for.</div>fine, by that vein lets give Lamar Odom a doctorate in physics and a nobel prize. His deficiency in brains is surely made up for by his athletics.While we're at it, let's call basketball a board game.My point is, you can't make up for an essential component of something because you're good at something that may or may not be related. Let's call stephen colbert an NBA hall of famer because he's a comic genius. He surely makes up for his lack of basketball ability with his humor [​IMG]

16. gentile

gentile BBW Member

Maybe we can keep this conversation within the realm of competitve activities, ie, the distinction between games and sports and how it applies to a fair categorization of chess.

17. gambitnut

gambitnut Freek

computer build instructor
    After having my heart rate at over 200 half an hour after the end of the last round of the scholastic state championship, I disagree about there being no physical exertion in chess and I consider chess a sport.

18. Kid Chocolate

Kid Chocolate Suspended

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gambitnut @ Jan 21 2008, 12:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>After having my heart rate at over 200 half an hour after the end of the last round of the scholastic state championship, I disagree about there being no physical exertion in chess and I consider chess a sport.</div>

would you say that going to get a vaccination by someone who is deathly afraid of needles is a sport?

the same can be applied for the heartrate-example you have left.

19. Lavalamp

Lavalamp Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Justice @ Apr 1 2007, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I imagine that four or five hours of sleep would burn more calories than an important game of chess would.</div>
    I think that when you are awake you burn more calories than sleeping.

Chess isn't a sport. Sports involve physical activity. It's a boardgame or more simply a game.

Now all sports are games, so Chess has that in common with sports.

20. Dumpy

Dumpy Yi-ha!!

Just because some thing involves physical activity doesn't make it a sport ("I'll bet I can hold a rock over my head longer than you can"). Similarly, all sports don't involve physical activity--at least, the same amount of physical activity (golf, anyone?). The first step is defining what makes a sport.