Chicago Bulls Draft Thread 2006

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by Midnight Green, May 9, 2006.

1. Bulls=Amazing

Bulls=Amazing JBB chea

2. I-Miss-MJ

I-Miss-MJ JBB I am so SMRT

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Best Kept Secret:</div><div class="quote_post">We drafted a shooting guard and a power forward...</div>

still need a center

3. SP23

SP23 DA BEARS!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting I-Miss-MJ:</div><div class="quote_post">still need a center</div>
    Free Agency. And if Tyson actually does something this off-season.

4. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

I kind of like the moves the bulls made. I think that skiles liked the way that chicago played against Miami. We saw that we could have a great running game. Put that with our great team d & Tyrus should be a great pick. I see the Starters as this:

Chandler
    Thomas
    noch/deng
    gordan
    hinrich

we could have one hell of a running game.
    we still have plenty of cash to throw around on free agents. Kudos
    pax.

5. I-Miss-MJ

Who are we going to target in Free Agnecy?
    I hear Pryzbila or however you spell his name is one of the top targets.

6. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

With the money we have under the cap we can get virtually anyone we want. Of course the big name is Ben Wallace, but some more realistic options I believe are Pryzbella and Mohammad, both re Chicago natives and want out of their current situations. Pryzbella is a great veteran that would be a good mentor to the young guys as well as a great producer on the court I would love to see Nazr come to Chicago he was really impressive during his time in New York he fell off in San Antonio, but is still good player

7. I-Miss-MJ

8. SP23

SP23 DA BEARS!

Greg Anthony and Steven A. Smith think Chicago did very well in the draft. Hopefully Tyrus and Thabo bring results to the Bulls!

9. Ed!

Ed! JBB JustBBall Member

Guys I would target, in order:

- Ben Wallace (obviously)
    - Nazr Mohammed
    - Pryzbilla

I'm not too sold on Pryzbilla, he doesn't seem like he could be starting material on a team that will win much of anything. Getting Ben would be insane, and I'd be pretty pleased with getting Nazr. I'm fairly happy with the Tyrus pick, and a little bit confused about the Thabo, especially since we had a shot at Carney, but whatever, Pax hasn't done much wrong yet. Hopefully Tyrus can make some immediate contributions, this team needs to get past the first round real soon, first round exits are getting old.

10. I-Miss-MJ

Luol Deng - Sudan
    Ben Gordon - England
    Thabo - Switzerland
    Nocioni - Argentina
    Songaila - Lithuania
    Schenscher - Australia

Talk about a multi-cultural team.

I still don't like the Thomas pick, Paxson says he doesnt know if he is a power or small forward.
    We have enough Small Forwards as is and Thomas and Chandler on the court will get us about 4 points in total.

11. SP23

SP23 DA BEARS!

I don't really mind the Thomas pick anymore, but why do lots of experts love Tyrus Thomas and think he will have the most upside in this draft? And at what position do most of these experts think he will be best at?

12. I-Miss-MJ

oh yes and Viktor Krappa - Ukraine

13. adiii

adiii JBB JustBBall Member

okay fine the aldridge trade was fine, because we got back that other dude with thomas who supposedly is good. BUT why'd we trade carney? he would have fit right in with the bulls, arg, but hopefully thabo can be the guy that skiles wanted. hmm...i don't like the picks thomas and thabo, aldridge and carney look so much better...whatever. let's rock FA...

ager fell to 28th, r u kiddin me? i was hoping the bulls might take him, he's awesome, marquis and ager...sweet...

14. Midnight Green

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">[IMGR]http://www.nba.com/media/bulls/paxson_skiles2_060628.jpg[/imgr]Have you improved your defense with the acquisition of these players?

Paxson: “I think we have bolstered our defense, but we also have become a versatile basketball team. Tyrus is a young guy who is going to get thrown into the fire right away with summer league. It’s a lot like drafting a high school player in some regards, even though he had a college year at LSU. We feel his potential is better than anyone else’s in this draft. We think that, given a couple years under our system and in our environment, this kid is going to blossom. We have high hopes for him, but we’re not going to put the type of pressure on him that comes from that. He’s a great kid and we’re going to roll with it.”

In the last few years you’ve talked about wanting guys who are going to come in and play the game the right way. What is it about these guys that you liked?

“If you’ve watched us play over the last three years, you know that Scott isn’t afraid to throw players in there. We feel like we’ve got such a good, young core of guys that can compete every night. With Kirk, Ben, Luol, Andr?s and Tyson, we wanted to get the guys we liked the best out of this draft and we did that. That’s huge for our future. Moving forward, that’s a big thing. We’re looking down the road a little bit, too; but that’s a huge thing for us.”

Would you say that you’re better right now, or will that take some time?

“We’ve added three players that we really like. Two of them are going to be rookies and granted, they’re young, but we had two picks in this draft and we were going to come out with two young players anyway. I think that we have the potential as the year goes along to be better, plus we don’t know what we are going to be able to do starting July 1 with free agency and in terms of some other directions we might go. If we can address some of our size needs in that scenario, we’ll see. I have great confidence in Scott and his staff in terms of the development of young players in this system and in this program. I think we’ve demonstrated over the last few years that young guys can thrive in the way we play, and Scott’s not afraid to use them. It’s a chance for us to get better.”

What can you tell us about Thabo Sefolosha and his workout? How does he grab your attention?

Skiles: “He grabs your attention whenever you watch him play. In the workout, he was here with other players that day and he played very well. He’s very long, he’s versatile, he’s got big hands, he deflects balls, and he gets out in the open floor. As John said, he’s a guy we feel can play behind Kirk and Ben and come in with some size and guard some bigger people. He’ll also do some ballhandling and allow those guys to play off the ball.”

What do you anticipate happening with the upcoming free agency period?

Paxson: “We have nothing set in stone. But we have the ability with the financial flexibility we’ve created to go out and be aggressive and we will be. We’re going to go out and try to strike on some guys July 1 and try to upgrade our front line as best as we can. We have the potential to be a very deep team that is versatile. In today’s NBA, I think that plays well.”

Scott Skiles and John Paxson "All things considered, we couldn’t have come out of this any better," said Paxson. "We got three players tonight that give us depth and the ability for Scott and his staff to play in different ways."
    How exactly do you plan on bring Tyrus Thomas along?

Paxson: “It’s very difficult to say. I think that what we’ll do from Day One is to ask just a couple things of Tyrus; to come in and play hard and use his activity and his athleticism to help our basketball team. He has an uncanny ability to block shots and his reactions and instincts defensively are excellent. But he’s still learning the game. He’s got a ways to go in that regard. We’re very confident that he’s going to come in and want to soak up what we have to offer him. It’s up to us to provide him with the right environment, and we will. Whenever these kids come through, we don’t mince words about what we’re about. This is about basketball for us and I think he’ll fit right in. Are there going to be bumps along the way? Absolutely, but I can remember Kirk Hinrich, who was a four-year player at Kansas, in the preseason having some struggles along the way. We expect that, but I think this kid brings energy and athleticism to our team. That’s something we’ve not had—he’s the best athlete that we’ve had for a long, long time.”

Despite being relatively young and inexperienced as a team, do you feel you’re in a better position now to bring in a couple players as compared to a few years ago?

Paxson: “I think so. I think we’re in good shape to do that. We’d like to add some veterans with leadership abilities to this mix.”

</div>

Source

15. SP23

SP23 DA BEARS!

BKS, how do you put the photo inside the quote with the text on the left of it also?

16. Midnight Green

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting SP23:</div><div class="quote_post">BKS, how do you put the photo inside the quote with the text on the left of it also?</div>
    Just do the same thing you normally do, but add a L or R depending what side you want it on to the code. so instead of IMG and /IMG it would be IMGR and /IMGR or IMGL and /IMGL.

I made it more confusing then it needed to be, because if I just type in the tags they will not show up. Sorry about that.[​IMG]

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    I keep hearing Tyrus "T-Time" Thomas is a "freak" athlete. Apparently, it's a compliment.

If I heard this word once Wednesday before he became a Bull, I heard it a half-dozen times. Steve Kerr used it on a Yahoo pod-cast. Jay Bilas used it on ESPN. I am pretty sure Stephen A. Smith and Dick Vitale did also, but the shrieks from their freakishly loud voices broke my eardrums so I'm not sure.

Thomas is a "freak," these basketball experts keep on saying ? in a very nice way.

(I hope they don't need to undergo sensitivity training.)

What they mean is this 19-year-old from LSU can run and jump like you can't believe. I guess if you want to see a guy fly, you don't need to go to a Superman movie.

"He's the best athlete that we've had for a long, long time," marveled Bulls general manager John Paxson, who has played with a few super dudes in his day.

If it turns out that T-Time Thomas can jump like Michael Jordan, rebound like Dennis Rodman and spread those wings of his and play defense like Scottie Pippen, well, fans, the sky's the limit.

After all, this Bulls team did beat the Miami Heat twice in the Eastern Conference playoffs. That's every bit as good as that goofball Mark Cuban's Dallas Mavericks were able to do in the NBA Finals.

This team is close to giving Chicago something special again?very close.

The TV talking heads were raving about the Bulls' moves, which included a tall guard from Switzerland with the gaudy name of Thabo Sefolosha.

That's why I sure do hope Paxson and the Bulls' decision-makers were right to do what they did in Wednesday's draft?pass up the size of LaMarcus Aldridge, the shooting eye of Adam Morrison, the maturity of Brandon Roy, etc.

"We feel his potential is better than anyone else's in this draft," Paxson said of using the No. 2 pick on a kid who played at LSU for only one year.

I have to admit that this young Cajun Bull makes me more than a little nervous.

First of all, maybe he can rebound like Rodman, but he also shoots like Rodman.

Many of the points he gets?and he doesn't get that many?seem to come on putback rebounds. He has absolutely no range I have seen.

The last time I saw him play, meantime, UCLA mopped up the floor with him. It was a Final Four game in Indianapolis and I would be kind if I told you Thomas was a non-factor in it. You never would know he was even on the court.

He also strikes me as a little fragile, for that alleged great athletic body of his.

Thomas missed his first year at LSU with a neck injury. He sprained a finger in the Hofstra game. He sprained an ankle and sat out four games. He didn't work out for Toronto, Houston or Charlotte before the NBA draft because he said he had a groin strain.</div>

Source

17. SP23

SP23 DA BEARS!

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Best Kept Secret:</div><div class="quote_post">Just do the same thing you normally do, but add a L or R depending what side you want it on to the code. so instead of IMG and /IMG it would be IMGR and /IMGR or IMGL and /IMGL.

I made it more confusing then it needed to be, because if I just type in the tags they will not show up. Sorry about that.[​IMG]

Source</div>
    I get it, thanks.

Yeah, and to the article. I was thinking about all the small injuries he had and went out because of them. Especially because he got injured during the Bulls workout both times... well first time was because he wasn't feeling well. And is the writer stating a fact when he said, "First of all, maybe he can rebound like Rodman, but he also shoots like Rodman."