Chicago Bulls Summer League Bulls vs Celtics 5:00 pm cst

Discussion in 'Chicago Bulls' started by truebluefan, Jul 9, 2016.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Valentine scores in the lane

2. truebluefan

Grant dunks in transition

3. truebluefan

bulls win 71-62

4. rosenthall

rosenthall Well-Known Member

Always great to see NBA action, even if it's between a bunch of guys that won't be on an NBA roster when the season starts.

When I watch a summer league game I assume what I'm watching has more in common with a college game than an NBA game. , Therefore, when you watch players it's less about what they produce and more about what they do on the court that translates.

So with that said......

I'm less high on Portis' performance and less low on Felicio's than most. Portis looked great, but mostly doing the same stuff he was doing last year. Based on what I saw today I'd expect him to be improved, but I don't expect him to turn over any new leaves. He still has no verticality and doesn't project to be a good defender at the moment.

Felicio looked rushed, but he screwed up trying to do a bunch of stuff he'll never do in an actual NBA game. I also think his feel for the game is part of what makes him a unique talent and that'll come out more in the regular season when he has a chance to play with better players.

I agree with the general consensus about Jerian Grant. His box score was okay, but he did not play with a lot of poise and you didn't get this sense that he was one of the more dominant players there. It seemed like he got stuck a lot without knowing what to do next. Based on today's game I'd feel more comfortable with Dinwidde as the backup PG than Grant.

Valentine's game gave you a lot to be excited about and a lot to be concerned about. It's clear that he has great offensive instincts and plays with an ability to see plays before they unfold. He does a great job of putting himself in spaces where he'll be able to make a play and he's a remarkable passer and ball-mover. His shooting today did not reflect his true ability as he missed a lot of open shots.

That said........

I found his lack of FTA's throughout the game to be concerning. He did not get all the way to the rim very much, and he often resorted to the same hokey stuff that Doug used the last two years in summer league that didn't translate to the League. Moves with 3-4 pump fakes, running hook shots, etc. He also looks like Carlos Boozer on defense sometimes, which is frightening.

5. truebluefan

Hard to take anthing away from one summer league game.

Bright Spots:

Portis came to play 17 pts 13 rebounds, one block I remember seeing

Dinwididdie has a nice game

Grant played awful the first half. Much better the second half

Valentine, love his jump hooks in the lane. He has skill.

Felicio runs the floor the same way Portis does

Cooley....I would love to see the Windy City Bulls sign him He can score in close, and rebound.

So far the rest of the players did not impress me.

Another game tomorrow

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  6. truebluefan

No arguement from me on most everything said.

What I really liked the most is the pace. We pushed the ball during misses, and during makes. Last season we walked the ball up the court.

7. truebluefan

Stats:

Bulls 39%

Portis 17, Grant 14, Cooley 11, Dinwiddie 10

Bulls 46-28 rebounding edge Portis 13, Cooley 8

8. such sweet thunder

such sweet thunder Member Staff Member Moderator

I actually caught this game at the Cox Pavilion with Darius Miles Davis. We had been talking about going to summer league for many years and it seemed like a good excuse for a mini vacation. I have my first coming this October so trips to Vegas are probably now in my rear view mirror.

We had tons of fun -- I would highly recommend. Cox only seats 2.5k so you're basically in a high school gym. We were a little late arriving so they held us at the door, and Cooley bumped us out of the way while he made a mad dash to the bathroom. He's a big dude. Towards the end of the games, you can see the teams playing next standing courtside because there's nowhere else for them to wait. That's summer league.

I didn't get much from the game. It's fun sitting on top of the action but it's also a disorientating. Valentine seems to have a really pretty handle but was getting lost on defense regularly. Jaylen Brown did nothing to differentiate himself from the Euroleague hopefuls -- all caveats about it being his first summer league game aside. Portis and Felicio looked fine, but probably are a little under experienced for your backup bigs. The thing that disappointed me the most, probably, is that the team ran the Hoiberg weave up top to initiate a couple of sets. I don't see how that works with Wade, Butler and Rondo.

Gonna' be an interesting season.

9. such sweet thunder

such sweet thunder Member Staff Member Moderator

Oh, I don't think I need to see Jerian Grant make the roster. He seems to have that Corey Benjamin mix of mediocre skills, poor shot selection and a heavy hand.

10. truebluefan

The more I watch Grant, the more I agree with your statement. At best he is D-League bound.

11. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    I saw SL at Thomas & Mack a few years ago. It was fun. Saw GMs and coaches in the stands.