Bogus! Chris Mannix: Chauncey gone

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by MickZagger, May 8, 2024.

1. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    That may just happen. I just don’t see them owing him because they want out of it.

2. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I think him coaching next year is the most likely because I don't believe Portland is willing to pay him to not coach and I don't think Billups is willing to give up a years salary to get out of his contract (unless he's got another HC gig lined up).

3. MickZagger

UPS
    Im wondering how another year of purposely sucking is going to permeate throughout the organization.

4. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    I'm 80+ miles from the Rose Garden, and our season has been over for quite a while. My eyes still sting from the tank exhaust.

kjironman1 and Phatguysrule like this.
  5. MickZagger

UPS
    Save your gas and beer money. Catch the highlights (or lowlights) for another year or two

6. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

We're about to find out!

Phatguysrule likes this.
  7. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

I’d say ask the Minnesota and OKC fans. Kings fan too. They have come out of the suck to various degrees of success. Those organizations seem to be doing well as a whole, but the fans are a good guage.

blazerkor likes this.
  8. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

For every OKC, Sacramento, and Minnesota (the last two took a LONG time to get decent), there is a Detroit, Charolette, and Washington.

I don't want this rebuild to be anything like Minnesota or Sacramento decade + rebuilds.

9. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

Rebuilds for small market teams always take a long time. They don’t have the luxury of free agency. They can draft or make trades. Drafting takes time to get the right players, and then developing them.

AmirIcon, Phatguysrule and Tince like this.
  10. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Agreed... which is why you should rarely give up on an All-NBA player unless you're getting a massive haul in return.

The small-market rebuild takes some degree of good ownership, a savy front office, and luck.

Phatguysrule, 42N8Bounce and BIG Q like this.
  11. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

Portland is certainly lacking in good ownership. After this draft and free agency period is when I will make a judgement on how savvy the front office is. Not expecting signings, but there should be a few trades.

kjironman1 and AmirIcon like this.
  12. MickZagger

UPS
    That players decline was obvious. It was a good time to move on. The haul could have been better I thought though

BIG Q likes this.
  13. Whyachi

Whyachi Well-Known Member

Imagine Coach Billups season.

New Blazers! we got this

1st game against Clips, Anfernee wrecks his thumb, missed 6 weeks.

Malcom, Scoot, Shaedon, you got this.

Robert Williams, you be Winslow. WHO? Justise Winslow, 6th man hustle guy, paint player. Pass it to Ant or Grant... wait, pass it to Malcom or Grant. Shoot some middies if you're open. Unfortunately, the Timelord goal to be Winslow lasted 6 games compared to 29.

Then Scoot tweaks something, then Malcom.. OK Shaedon and Skylar Mays, you got this. Peice of cake, in-Season tourney! Scoot's back!! They beat someone, Coach can really coach!

Then the losses began piling up. Malcolm's doing what he can. Scoot missed a few games, Ayton's knees start acting funny... hey we get Ant back soon.

Basketball !!! Weeee... Shaedon out for season. Ayton starts missing games. Duop. Moses, you're my guys. Moses breaks hand, done for awhile. Jabari !! 3rd string utility player, now Blazers full time starter !!

Basketball !!! ... Malcom taps out, done for season. Ayton starts getting his sea legs back, the new matress helps. Thybulle, where's Thybulle ? WHO? Matisse Thybulle, we got him in the Josh Hart trade. We did ?? Yes... but this rookie named Camara is playing better. Heck, the rookie from Iowa who can't shoot is playing better.

Basketball !!! Grant quits, then Thybulle, then Simons, ... Ashton Hagans you got this. Where's Minaya, go stand in the corner and jump at the rebounds.

final tally >> a very tired but very happy head coach. Happy the nightmare of another Joe Cronin "competitive" rebuilding season is finally over.

Chris Craig likes this.
  14. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

This seems to be the normal take on the board and not just about the Dame trade. Folks want a player gone because he's declining (or has a bad contract/isn't good), but after said player is dealt, the thought is we should've got more for the declining, bad contract, no good player.

I predicted trading Dame was unlikely to produce better results in the near/mid-term. It has actually gone worse than I anticipated. Of course we'll never know what kind of assets we would've obtained while retaining Dame, but there is a case that we'd have a better supporting cast had we kept him vs what we have now without him.

Good franchises don't trade players because they "decline".

Phatguysrule likes this.
  15. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

Dame didn't get traded because he was going to 'decline'.
    That is just an ancillary benefit people look to that helps justify the trade.

Dame got traded because he tried to force a power play.

BIG Q and Kell like this.
  16. MickZagger

UPS
    An organization should identify before anyone else whether that player is going to be in the window they have in mind. Blazers never did that with Lillard, nor McCollum and probably won’t with Simons either.

So they wait until their trade value has diminished. Get penny’s on the dollar. Have no upper hand in negotiations.

In the case of Lillard, they could have rolled the dice and gambled and at least tried to get a solid supporting cast. We could’ve matched a Siakam level deal for instance.

It’s common with not very good management teams.

AmirIcon likes this.
  17. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

There are a lot of theories about why Dame got traded. Some make Dame look like the villain, others make the Blazers look like the villain. I haven't seen anything credible enough to know the truth. It's possible nobody was the villain.

kjironman1 likes this.
  18. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

True, they could've trade him when he was 26. Though, they probably wouldn't have got a player as good as Lillard as a result of that package either, nor made it to the WCF in that time period.

They certainly failed to put a solid supporting cast around him, during his prime, which was a failure. Again, a failure small market teams are more likely to experience.

I think a case could be made now that Sharpe's value will never be higher. Maybe they should trade him now as well as to not risk his value declining.

19. MickZagger

UPS
    Why 26? What about 28 or 30?

Sharpe’s upside can make him way more valuable in the future and you know it. But our hopes hinge on building a core for the future. Not by building a young core along side an aging star.

They hold onto Simons much longer and his value will plummet.

The problem with the Blazers is they have tried to assemble a team based on two different windows. The longer it lingered the less trade value they netted.

Tince likes this.
  20. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Yeah, 28 or 30 might've been better. 32 might've been the best in regards to output in Portland combined with return. So hard to say w/out knowing the market for him at this points. Ant is 24 and it appears he's already getting too old for the fans of this organization.

Sharpe's potential IS his value right now. It can go one of two ways: 1) He realizes his potential and his value goes up from here. 2) He doesn't and his value goes down. My gut tells me he's unlikely to reach the potential many believe he has, so maybe this is his peak value. I think we could get a solid return for him right now, I don't know what it'll look like 4 years from now. I worry he'll be the next guy people turn on once Grant/Ant are gone. Time will tell and hindsight will make it all so obvious!

Last edited: May 25, 2024