[Chronicle] Rockets land Scola, deal Spanoulis to Spurs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by Run BJM, Jul 12, 2007.

1. foo82

foo82 JBB JustBBall Member

As usual, he is going to ignore the points in which you flat out prove him wrong. Actually, I have a feeling he's going to ignore your entire post and not even bother replying to it. If he does, hes going to divert the argument elsewhere.

He's like a politician. Stick to a few talking points. No matter how detailed the argument gets, you can ignore them by going straight back to your talking points...

Repeated arguments Rock has made and continued to ignore when proven wrong.
    - Kirilenko being assigned to Chuck.
    - Chucks role is to rebound only.
    - Only stats that are important are the ones he can understand. Which falls under ppg and rpg.
    - Defense? Anyone can play defense, so no need to mention that.
    - Tracy Mcgrady plays the 1 position behind rafer.
    - Juwan played good in the playoffs and we would have lost more games without him. Chuck had little impact.

Don't forget. If he's right, he will rub it all over and use it as a basis for future arguments stating he was right about this particular situation even if it isn't related to that future situation. If he's wrong, it never happened.

You seriously should be in politics.

2. dakeem1

dakeem1 JBB JustBBall Member

Another thing. Reliance on stats to prove a player's effectiveness is BS.

If it weren't, we would've dropped Battier already. In the same vein as Bruce Bowen, Battier is incredibly productive yet his numbers don't show that.

Rock, I'll tell you another reason why you're getting slammed? Well, it's been brought up before... you're attitude. Here we are in a thread about LUIS SCOLA and you're way to defend yourself is to bring up old news about a player who isn't even on our team anymore.

What does the Juwon vs Chuck issue have to do with this thread anyway? You're jsut trying to defend your point about Scola by giving us the "I told you so" speach about a totally different issue.

3. Eduardo

Eduardo JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Rock4life Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I think the majority of this board underestimates Howard's significance for our team last year. Yet, I'm the only one who's defending him again.</div>

As far as I remember, I did defend Howard along with you in one those threads and I still believe that he was a valuable member to our team. I actually agree with you that many people in this board, or many other Rockets fans undestimate what Juwan did for this team. I thought he was pretty good, especially for his age. The only knock on him was his contract.

Despite all that however, I totally disagree with the kind of attitude that you give people when you defend your points, heck you're making Juwan look bad. What's done is done, Juwan has moved on and so should we.

4. Johnny33

Johnny33 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Eduardo Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">As far as I remember, I did defend Howard along with you in one those threads and I still believe that he was a valuable member to our team. I actually agree with you that many people in this board, or many other Rockets fans undestimate what Juwan did for this team. I thought he was pretty good, especially for his age. The only knock on him was his contract.

Despite all that however, I totally disagree with the kind of attitude that you give people when you defend your points, heck you're making Juwan look bad. What's done is done, Juwan has moved on and so should we.</div>

I'm with Eduardo on this one. Juwan was a great guy in the locker room and one of the few leaders on the team. He also was a great guy to come off the bench and score, and did well when Yao went down. However, Chuck was a better fit for the starting unit (since Juwan was the only low post bench scorer available). A little sad to see him go, and I wish him well in Minnesota.

5. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">foo82 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">As usual, he is going to ignore the points in which you flat out prove him wrong. Actually, I have a feeling he's going to ignore your entire post and not even bother replying to it. If he does, hes going to divert the argument elsewhere.

He's like a politician. Stick to a few talking points. No matter how detailed the argument gets, you can ignore them by going straight back to your talking points...

Repeated arguments Rock has made and continued to ignore when proven wrong.
    - Kirilenko being assigned to Chuck.
    - Chucks role is to rebound only.
    - Only stats that are important are the ones he can understand. Which falls under ppg and rpg.
    - Defense? Anyone can play defense, so no need to mention that.
    - Tracy Mcgrady plays the 1 position behind rafer.
    - Juwan played good in the playoffs and we would have lost more games without him. Chuck had little impact.

Don't forget. If he's right, he will rub it all over and use it as a basis for future arguments stating he was right about this particular situation even if it isn't related to that future situation. If he's wrong, it never happened.

You seriously should be in politics.</div>
    As always, I can see you don't read the whole arguments. You come in at the last second and make bogus claims. Ur whole argument is "Rock4life doesn't respond to points", and you counter that with not responding to absolutley nothin I've said[​IMG]

6. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

So why not set a good example and respond to the post that you skipped over:

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Chutney:</div><div class="quote_post">Regardless if you care if people respect your opinion or not, you do believe that it holds weight. And that's what I'm challenging. I have read all of your posts and you've referred to Scola as a rookie, a project, and a player that can't possibly contribute right away. I don't agree with any of those assertions and I want to know what lead you to them. Your reference to Yao makes no sense, because people in this thread have continually referred to players that are a much better comparison to Scola (eg: Nocioni, Garbajosa, Oberto, Parker) who have contributed immediately. You've ignored them again and again. And this all leads me to believe that you haven't seen much of Scola. I'll repeat the question again in bigger letters to make sure you don't ignore it (like you did in your last post):

<font size=""3"">Have you seen Luis Scola play in Europe?</font>

For the record, I'm not trying to suggest that its a guarantee that Luis Scola will be a star (just as you're not saying he's definitely going to be a bust). But I am questioning how you can have an opinion on something that you know absolutely nothing about. If you haven't seen him play (like I suspect), it won't matter what happens. Even if Scola turns out to be a bust, your prediction won't mean sh*t, since it was just a lucky guess.</div>

7. foo82

<div class="quote_poster">Rock4life Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">As always, I can see you don't read the whole arguments. You come in at the last second and make bogus claims. Ur whole argument is "Rock4life doesn't respond to points", and you counter that with not responding to absolutley nothin I've said[​IMG]</div>

Ironic that you said that, considering I addressed everything you have written. You followed up by not responding to my recent post and instead go after Durvasa.
    And now, you target the post I made up and still say I come in at the last second even when I have been posting throughout the thread? Jeez..

Even funnier is that you didn't even bother responding to Durvasa's post. Afterall, how could you? Especially when you are flat out wrong.

Go look in the mirror and [​IMG] at yourself. You've been nothing but contradictory.

8. TmacGarnett

TmacGarnett JBB JustBBall Member

I for one have attack Rock4life in several posts in this thread and he still hasnt responded back with an arguement...interesting.

9. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

<div class="quote_poster">Rock4life Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">As always, I can see you don't read the whole arguments. You come in at the last second and make bogus claims. Ur whole argument is "Rock4life doesn't respond to points", and you counter that with not responding to absolutley nothin I've said[​IMG]</div>Well, we have officially found something you know a lot about then, being hypocritical. It's quite obvious that you're ignoring a lot of people's points (mine, Chuts, etc.), and you're missing one huge point that you haven't even responded to, so let me put that down one more time.

<font size=""5"">Have you EVER seen Luis Scola play?</font>

My bet that you're answer to this will be no. So therefore, I don't see how you can make bogus claims like "He won't do much" or "He's not ready". Also, at least look at his stats before you make your idiotic statements as well. Hell, you don't even have to go far. Take a look on page three of this thread and I posted a whole bunch of them for you. In case you forgot them, lets reiterate those as well, cause I'm pretty sure you skipped over them, like you have all the rest of my arguments.

Spanish League MVP in 2005
    Spanish League MVP in 2007
    Played on the Gold Medal winning '04 Argentina Olympic squad
    Played professionally since '96-'97

Those are some pretty solid accomplishments if you ask me. And I honestly don't see how you can claim he won't produce. Lets bring back your arguments for it. You said it's because he's foreign and a rookie. Well, we can pretty much kill the claim that he's a rookie, cause that's only by NBA standards. Anyone who has played pro ball for a decade can't really be considered a rookie. Now the foreign claim. That's ludicrous as well. Cause quite frankly, a lot of foreigners have came to the NBA and had success early on. Here's a few.

Andres Nocioni
    Yao Ming
    Andrea Bargnani
    Tony Parker
    Manu Ginobli
    Jorge Garbajosa
    Jose Calderon

Now I could go on and on, but you get the idea. It IS possible to come from overseas and be successful. But apparently, you don't realize that. Hopefully you'll actually look at this argument for a change, instead of completely skipping over it. My bet is you won't care, because you've openly admitted you don't care about other peoples opinions, but who knows, prove me wrong. And while you're at it, come up with a LEGITIMATE reason as to why Scola won't be productive as a rookie and why he shouldn't start. Cause quite frankly, that whole rookie and foreign thing doesn't hold true.

10. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 JBB JustBBall Member

Highlight clips aren't what you should go by as a idea of Scolas play. You can watch games agaisnt USA and his euro team if you Google his team name. It's a better way to watch him during actuall game play and see him work off the ball. This guy is going to be solid.

11. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Every player coming to the NBA from the Argentinian National Team has experienced success. Ginobili, Nocioni, Oberto, Hermann, and Scola is better than all of these players.

All of these players understand the fundamentals of the game and how to accept a role and dominate it. Scola is relentless at attacking the rim and has the strength to finish after taking the initial contact.

I can already picture Scola finishing backdoor cuts with dunks, with Yao or TMac feeding the entry pass into him from the high post.

12. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Invalid Video Link

Scola-Mix

Invalid Video Link

Scola practicing in his new Rockets jersey. Rock4Life, you have to at least like his hairstyle bro.

13. Mag

Mag JBB MacBeth

I really can't express how incredible this offseason has been. Scola brings a lot of effort and heart to the table for us, and that is something you can never have enough of. I can almost guarantee, that Scola would've cut down how badly Boozer killed us in the playoffs. He is bulky and plays with fire. We need that now more than ever, and if he can contribute as much as Oberto does for the Spurs, I will be satisfied with his performance (and he is touted as a much better player than Oberto from what I've read).

This guy is said to be the best big man not in the NBA right now, and that really says something. Here I was for the past 2 years plus hoping Badiane and Spanoulis would pan out for us, well. . . we just got the biggest fish in all of Europe. He won't be a superstar, but he'll be a player that plays his heart out and always competes.

And with the exception of shape, Moo, and Chutney, we all want the Rockets to kick everyone's ass on the way to the Finals. We're on the same page! Let us all hold hands and hope that Scola meets and even exceeds his potential.

14. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Speaking of Badiane, anyone know how far along he is in terms of development?

15. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

The problem with alot of fans is you let ur "bandwagon" tendancies influence ur decisions. I don't think Scola as a starter is gonna cut it for us. Put it this way, if by the end of the season we're still in need of a starting PF, then that's when you know we've made the wrong move. Maybe he'll be able to contribute off the bench. But if the Rockets are smart they'll make another move for REAL PF starter, somebody with playoff experience & rebounding. You guys have totally jumped on this rookie's bandwagon WAY to soon. At this point I'm not satisfied with our PF position, and apparently TRACY MCGRADY agrees (he recently stated that we need another PF). So maybe you guys are caught up in the hype again[​IMG]

16. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

<div class="quote_poster">Rock4life Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The problem with alot of fans is you let ur "bandwagon" tendancies influence ur decisions. I don't think Scola as a starter is gonna cut it for us. Put it this way, if by the end of the season we're still in need of a starting PF, then that's when you know we've made the wrong move. Maybe he'll be able to contribute off the bench. But if the Rockets are smart they'll make another move for REAL PF starter, somebody with playoff experience & rebounding. You guys have totally jumped on this rookie's bandwagon WAY to soon. At this point I'm not satisfied with our PF position, and apparently TRACY MCGRADY agrees (he recently stated that we need another PF). So maybe you guys are caught up in the hype again[​IMG]</div>
    Have you ever seen Luis Scola play in Europe?

17. ROCK4LIFE

ROCK4LIFE Active Member

<div class="quote_poster">Chutney Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Have you ever seen Luis Scola play in Europe?</div>
    Yes........I have caught a few games. Next question

18. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

<div class="quote_poster">Rock4life Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yes........I have caught a few games. Next question</div>
    Thank you. Now we're getting somewhere.

So now that we know you've seen him play before (albeit only for a couple games), how did it make you believe that he wouldn't translate into an NBA starter in his first season?

19. foo82

<div class="quote_poster">Rock4life Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">The problem with alot of fans is you let ur "bandwagon" tendancies influence ur decisions. I don't think Scola as a starter is gonna cut it for us. Put it this way, if by the end of the season we're still in need of a starting PF, then that's when you know we've made the wrong move. Maybe he'll be able to contribute off the bench. But if the Rockets are smart they'll make another move for REAL PF starter, somebody with playoff experience & rebounding. You guys have totally jumped on this rookie's bandwagon WAY to soon. At this point I'm not satisfied with our PF position, and apparently TRACY MCGRADY agrees (he recently stated that we need another PF). So maybe you guys are caught up in the hype again[​IMG]</div>

No. Let me set this straight. I have not said he will be an instant success. My beef is that you "felt" neutral about this trade. We gave up NOTHING for both scola and butler. Sure, as of now they are unproven in the NBA, but the potential for them being good in the NBA is pretty decent. So, why in the hell would you feel neutral about tradign a guy who is not even going to play in the NBA for 2 potential talents?

I highly doubt you've seen Scola play. You have been known to lie in the past, and the way you avoided that question until you were pushed into the corner, shows me that you haven't seen him play.

20. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

<div class="quote_poster">Rock4life Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Yes........I have caught a few games. Next question</div>For some odd reason I sincerely doubt this. If this was the case, you wouldn't have avoided answering this question for so long. As it is, why don't you think he'll be successful? He's got a solid post game, he's a great athlete, a solid mid range game, etc. Essentially, he's got all the tools to be a very good NBA player, so why don't you think he can't be? And please, do NOT give me that "he's a rookie" or "he's foreign" crap. I've already pretty much disproved both those instances. So please, give a legitimate reason, cause honestly, I don't see why he can't be successful at this level, and you're about the only one who feels he's not worthy of starting for you and being successful.