OT Civil discourse now is impossible in the United States

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by PCmor7, Apr 14, 2019.

1. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    :morningtime:

MARIS61 likes this.
  2. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

This is why I would never EVER be on Facebook.

3. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

Facebook is good for two things. Seeing how old girlfriends look 20 years later and buying and selling car parts.

Dodged a bullet on most of the old girlfriends...they would probably think the same.

4. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    It's not just Facebook, as the Thanksgiving story can attest. Now, is it easier for people to be uncivil on Facebook because you're talking to someone who isn't actually there? Absolutely, IMO.

FTR, I think Twitter's far worse. Maybe because of the soundbyte nature.

5. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

Even though Twitter can be hilarious at times I'm doing my best to avoid it for the most part.

dviss1, TorturedBlazerFan and PCmor7 like this.
  6. calvin natt

calvin natt Confeve

I think Facebook is the worst. People either fighting or complaining or bragging about their amazing life.

dviss1 and TorturedBlazerFan like this.
  7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I figure my life is my movie..my song..my painting..my garden. I'm the producer, director, main character, script writer..I've tried to find a good cast for the film but have had to let many go...they just didn't fit the script...life is short...make it interesting and know what you don't want around your life...I have no problem with the ignore button...it's very useful and more importantly, keeps boring bullshit at arms reach. I gave up Facebook and never had twitter...S2 is the extent of my social media experience and even keeping it that simple can be taxing.

8. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    I've unfollowed people, but it doesn't stop them from coming to me. And, yes, I could write them out of my story, but I think that's such a loss for everyone. I live in a town of 200 people. Social media has enabled me to keep in touch with friends who are difficult to stay in touch with otherwise. I actually found family around the world through FB and even have visited them.

I just worry about where we are going. Everyone talks. No one listens. There's just so much anger and frustration and mistrust. Everyone is married to their original opinions which often seem not to be so much their opinions but those of whoever they voted for ... this whole team sports thing is a great analogy. But people can't talk to each other anymore. Heck, you act friendly to people and it's often met with suspicion. Social media might end up being the only way we interact.

9. Lanny

Lanny Original Season Ticket Holder "Mr. Big Shot"

Elec. & Computer Engineer OSU Computer Science PSU
    I protest. I am not smelly. I wash my socks the first Saturday of every single month.

PCmor7 and riverman like this.
  10. MARIS61

MARIS61 Real American

retired Yankee
    I hear "stories" about this a lot, but mostly it's just being hammered at me by the Deep State media because they want us at each other's throats.

Probably 70% of my friends on faceplant and off are lefties, many are musicians or artists.

But most of them are intelligent enough to see both sides and realize neither party is interested in serving Americans honestly. They acknowledge the depths of corruption and treason both parties suffer from. They stopped watching TV commentators not long after the election when it became obvious they were being lied to daily. None of them can even pick a candidate to support for 2020 as they have been given such a horrendously incompetent crowd to choose from. Meanwhile, most of them admit the economy has greatly improved for them personally since 2016, but grudgingly still attempt to credit Obama with the massive reversal.

We don't discuss politics unless it's something that has a personal connection to one of us. Much more important, interesting, and/or fun things to discuss. We don't let our differences of opinion get in the way of friendships, and we're all smart enough to know our 1 vote each is just a crap shoot in a game with no referee. What happens will happen, that's the mystery and excitement of life. The unknown. We could be attacked by China tomorrow, or by our own military with tanks and poison gas and killer-robots. Or not. If I awake to a battle tomorrow, bring it on. If I awake to a sunny, peaceful day, maybe I'll go fishing.

Politics are best discussed with people whose feelings you don't care about too much, like on message boards, or with thick-skinned adults who are mature enough to handle disagreement without getting butthurt.

I love my sister, but I have never friended her on faceplant because I love my sister.

11. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Careful river, remember the focus of the day, is recovery. :cool2:
    And I hope this isn't a set back, but the playing field has always been level.
    Surely by now you have noted the differences is in the players? You do know, this is why they play? Sort it out you know.

MARIS61 likes this.
  12. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I will remind you of indentured servitude, slavery, child prostitution, and the many evils of mankind before I counter your "always been an even playing field" myth but hey...you've got some imagination going there...tell that to the disabled vets struggling to get by as well...life's not always fair.

13. riverman

riverman Writing Team

completely disagree with this....the listeners just draw no attention...others think being loud makes one right....where there is respect there is both talking and listening ...not speechifying or withdrawing....also....some bullshit isn't worth listening to in my view..there's a street guy in Eugene the other day yelling at me that God is going to destroy the world....I told him to have a good day..he looked really intent on having a conversation with me....not in my movie!

PCmor7 and MARIS61 like this.
  14. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Holy crap! Do we differ! So damn much, we don't even have to play.:cool2:

15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

inequities abound all over the planet...no need to sugar coat it and pretend...some have ways and means and some folks are actually impoverished or without ways and means...it's the human condition..not a topic about entertainment

16. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    It is indeed. They all bring it to the same playing field.

17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Some of those children can't walk outside the sweatshop or brothel....they aren't bringing anything and definitely aren't playing. You seem to be unaware or just not concerned with that segment of humanity..I have empathy for the poor and the destitute in most cases unless the condition is self imposed

18. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I really enjoy your posts more when you write them yourself.....agree with 98 percent of this one.

19. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Oh yes, I see this.

20. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I do this