CJ Extended

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by B-Roy, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Cool?

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  2. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Main question is how this impacts his trade value. Is he now more or less desirable to other teams?

TorturedBlazerFan and Reep like this.
  3. joeBlazers

joeBlazers Well-Known Member

So you saying you cannot calculate the actual cap numbers for next year? huh ... what happened to your ability to predict the future? Damned !!! :) :) :)

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  4. GhostOfPGA

GhostOfPGA The late great Paul Allen

More, locked into a contract so no worries of him bolting.

5. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Okay, I think I have it figured out. We could have offered him 3 years, $114 million this summer. So we saved $14 million total over 3 years over what it could've been this summer. CJ's salary would have kept getting bigger each summer moving forward too.

dviss1, Eastoff, HailBlazers and 6 others like this.
  6. AquaXI

AquaXI Well-Known Member

Batman and Robin/ Jordan and Pippen/ Carson and McMahon/ Milk and Cookies/ Rum and Coke/ Rock and Roll.

.......you can't have One without the Other!

dviss1, HailBlazers and Dougnsalem like this.
  7. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

That is the $64,000 question. Both McCollum and Lillard are above average shooters but not elite. What happens if Simons turns out to be an elite shooter? Is he still going to be coming off the bench? That would be unacceptable to me. The Blazers need that second all star (at least).
    I think it will be a problem facing the Trail Blazers. Neither McCollum nor Lillard are elite defenders so they don’t win any points there either.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  8. blazerfan11

The Blazers don’t need a sixth the man of the year they need another all star.

9. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

If that happens I really do not see a downside.

Dougnsalem, RR7 and JDC like this.
  10. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Gotta follow along. In my scenario, we would have CJ/Dame/Collins and Nurk, all as all stars. A 6th man would then be perfect. :)

Dougnsalem likes this.
  11. blazerfan11

The downside is that CJ McCollum will always need to be on the floor ( as is the case now) at the end of the game even if his defense and rebounding are hurting the team and he is also not shooting well. This is why I do not think the pairing of Lillard and McCollum is as good as it can be in the NBA. What does McCollum do when he’s not shooting the ball? He’s not shooting it at an elite level on average and he’s not going to make the all NBA team on defense.

12. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

Depends upon the team and their situation. It's not a one-size fits all.

Generally, my guess is that it has a negligible effect on his trade value right now. It will be of minimal benefit next summer when he only has 1 year left on his 'original' contract.

13. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

- Spacing the floor
    - Commanding a good defense to stick to him to keep him from shooting the ball

14. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Why not both? Id take someone averaging 20ppg in 32min off the bench.

15. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    SI gives us an A- on that work...

https://www.si.com/nba/2019/07/30/c...ail-blazers-contract-extension-damian-lillard

The Trail Blazers agreed to a three-year, $100 million contract extension with C.J. McCollum on Tuesday, according to ESPN, locking in one half of their star backcourt for the next five seasons. After moving urgently to sign Damian Lillard to a supermax extension in July, Portland and general manager Neil Olshey did the same to secure McCollum, who became eligible for an amended deal last week. The decision further stabilizes the Trail Blazers as Western Conference contenders for the foreseeable future, with their franchise cornerstones secure through 2023-24.

Grade: A-

While paying two star players concurrently over five years at supermax and near-max prices is always a massive commitment, Portland was uniquely positioned to do so, noting the chemistry between Lillard and McCollum and the intrinsic value of each player’s personality within the culture of their franchise. Being able to extend McCollum at a slight discount, relatively speaking, was something of a no-brainer. He turns 28 in September, and this deal keeps him in Portland (at least in theory) for his entire prime.

Credit the Trail Blazers, whose offseason decisions enabled them to comfortably extend an offer like this—the newly-acquired Hassan Whitesideand Kent Bazemore’s expiring contracts create some forthcoming flexibility, with only Jusuf Nurkic locked in past 2020-21, and potential extensions for promising youngsters Zach Collins and Anfernee Simons the only true looming commitments. While Portland lost some valuable parts of their rotation, it’s even clearer now that they’re willing to bet big on the Lillard-McCollum fulcrum performing well enough to empower a rotating cast around it. In an NBA where two stars would seem to be the barrier to entry for contention, it’s easiest to pay the ones you have, if you have them, and figure everything else out as it goes.

McCollum has evolved into a truly dynamic scorer, developing into a threat on and off the ball and a strong partner for Lillard. He’s been tied in trade rumors in the past, but as it stands, he’s a pretty tough cover, and someone as comfortable leading a bench unit as he is complementing Lillard in crunch time. It’s a testament to his flexibility and willingness to get the job done, and after last season’s conference finals run, Portland should feel even better about the price tag. He’s uniquely valuable to their organization, with real equity in what they’ve built, and at some point in this process, the dollar amounts start to matter less when the circumstances feel right. McCollum’s value to the Blazers goes beyond his counting stats, and his new contract represents that. It’s a tall price, but at least Portland knows exactly what it’s getting.

BBert, Eastoff, HailBlazers and 6 others like this.
  16. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Olshey
    Really
    Getting
    Allen's
    Sister's
    Money!!!!!!!

BBert likes this.
  17. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    Olshey
    Really
    Getting
    Allen's
    Sister's
    Money
    In
    Checks :(

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  18. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

You are worried about his rebounding? The Blazers were a top 5 team last year in rebounding. CJ averaged 4 per game. Basically the same as our starting SF. (Harkless @4.5)

Regardless if Simons turns out to be an "elite" shooter, my guess is he will be out on the floor at the end of games as well. I don't really see the need to worry about someone on this team being a really good shooter. The more the merrier. Especially as Dame and CJ get older and they start to miss more games. I kind of like having another option.

19. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Just to piss you off.

Okay......why am I not thrilled about this extension? $100M for 3 years of streaky play?

I will say that he shows up in the playoffs. But he kind of needs to show up in the regular season too.....especially for $100M.

Am I wrong?

20. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I can't imagine any team except Portland seeing much value in CJ locked into a 5 year deal for over 30M/year

Jade Falcon likes this.