CJ got a fracture in his lower back

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Labinot41, Aug 11, 2020.

1. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

The reason CJ was playing? Because he wants to help his teammates achieve their goal. If he can handle the discomfort, he will play. Go CJ Go!

CupWizier, GoBlazersGo and kjironman1 like this.
  2. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

With the lack of backcourt depth we absolutely need him - but this is not an inconsequential injury and you can't blame fans for being worried about the situation. I'm not CJ's biggest fan, but even as cold-blooded as I can be about the guy I wouldn't risk playing him if it put his long term career at risk!

And yes, it is ultimately his choice - but you know as well as I do that there are times a coach and med staff have to protect a player from his own competitive instincts.

3. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

It's obviously painful. You don't go get checked out and have the x rays unless you are experiencing pain.

4. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

If the reports are true then it's pretty obvious this injury is taking more and more of a toll on CJ. Just go back and watch the game you are referencing, then the Sixers game and then the Mavs game. He just keeps getting worse. He isn't missing tough shots, he's missing shots he makes all of the time. Layups, floaters and open jumpers. The guy is very clearly affected by something. If it's not his back then he's just breaking down mentally which I sincerely doubt. His defense hasn't been worse but that's not saying much. You have to look at him where he is actually usually good, on offense and you have to know something is really wrong.

oldmangrouch likes this.
  5. blazerkor

Unless between his always bad defense and now swiftly eroding offensive game, he is actually hurting the team while he is out there hurting himself. If CJ can be CJ and the injury can't get worse then you are right... Go CJ Go but the injury really seems to be taking a toll on his ability to score and that is his ability.

SharpesTriumph and oldmangrouch like this.
  6. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

lol...yeah right. That changes everything....Stotts has Jannero Pargo on the bench too! He's flush with guards!!

7. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    But it's not ultimately his choice as the training staff and team doctor can let management know that he shouldn't be playing and ultimately it's up to management. He's played in 3 games since the injury so it's something he seems to be able to handle and the video with the doctor explain the risk can be negligible.

8. CupWizier

retired
    Swiftly eroding offensive game? The guy is putting up solid numbers. He just had a 29 point game with 4 rebounds and 8 assits against the Clippers.

9. CupWizier

retired
    Pain is only relevant to a persons tolerance. Maybe McCollum has a high tolerance for pain as until this report came out I don't recall anyone saying it looked like McCollum was lumbering out there, but maybe I missed it. McCollum, like Lillard very seldom sits out games due to an injury. Until further evidence I saw last nights game as one of those nights where nothing was falling for him. Even Lillard has had some of those games,

10. blazerkor

So 29 points on 21 shots followed by 16 points on 17 shots followed by 8 points on 14 shots equals "swiftly eroding offensive game." Wouldn't you say that's a pretty steep decline?

brooklynballer likes this.
  11. CupWizier

retired
    Way to small of sample size as nothing can really be determined in just 2 games and why I said until further evidence in one of my posts.

12. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

I agree to a point. You can tolerate pain sure but it still will hinder your ability at some point. Focus, concentration, reaction time and overall stamina will take a hit.
    Now on the good side even to the very end of the Dallas game CJ was able to guard well on the last play. He was active. He didn't quit. Just didn't hit a few shots he usually does. If he makes one more mid range and one more three, nobody is saying he had a bad game really.

13. blazerkor

OK, I definitely disagree with you. I can't believe you watched those games and think CJ is just fine. He did not play like he does when he is in a slump, it was something else entirely and I don't understand why you won't admit that, especially when you know he is injured.

brooklynballer likes this.
  14. blazerkor

13 points on 14 shots is a bad game, especially for CJ who makes up for his defense with his scoring.

15. LayneStaley

LayneStaley Well-Known Member

Badass
    I’ve never been a CJ fan and have even debated people in this forum about how Booker for CJ would be a dream come true(2 seasons ago), that being said I don’t believe we make it a series against the Lakers without him. We will need him to carry the team for a game or a quarter here and there.

Darkwebs and Orion Bailey like this.
  16. CupWizier

retired
    and that's why at this time, it could simply be a bad game and a mediocre game before last night. Anyone who has played sports at any level has likely experienced a slump and only McCollum knows how well he can manage any pain. I've seen Lillard go through different stages of slumps. McCollum is one of the most nit picked Blazers by posters we have ever had and as long as he is wearing a Blazer uniform I will continue to root for him plus he is my 5 year old grandson's favorite player and he chose him all on his own. He knows all the players names, positions and uniform numbers and can actually hold a decent conversation about the games. :bgrin:

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  17. CupWizier

retired
    So answer me this honestly. Before Jaynes came out with the report after the game, did you think MvcCollum was hurt for the last 3 games? And yes, I have watched EVERY minute of every game

18. blazerkor

I couldn't stop talking about how shitty he was playing the last two games that's for sure. I do tend to talk about how I'd rather have Gary starting anyway so me talking shit about CJ sucking isn't great proof but yeah, I thought there was something off about him. He was missing little bunny jumpers he never misses, he missed a few easy layups and several floaters. Anyone can go cold from outside but when CJ gets by someone and has an open look inside he almost always hits it. I actually thought it might have been the pressure of Gary outplaying him but I was wrong, it was just simply an injury. It makes sense, if his core is in constant pain, his body control will be off so once he goes up for any kind of shot he won't have his normal body stability. Dame always says that core stability is the key to making shots inside and out. The problem isn't getting better either as I have pointed out with the numbers.

19. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Rest CJ so we have him against the Lakers

20. blazerkor

I hear but, if CJ can play effectively (which he hasn't been able to do the past two games) and there is no risk of further injury or prolonging recovery, then I say let CJ make the decision if he wants to play with the pain. If he can help us and everyone else hasn't already lost, which is so unlikely, then we will need him. It's an all hands on deck must win.